1.    #1  
    So what is the overall impression of the Centro? I know it's a general question. My wife is looking to replace her 700wx. She likes the "look" of my 800w but I am talking her out of the 800w due to the price (I got mine for free from my job), and the issues I have with the 800w (battery, locking up, etc.)

She wants to be able to browse the web, tether (3rd party software OK), slingbox, and get email (needs native Exchange support - no pop3 or imap).

Is the Centro a good choice for this? $50 after rebates for upgrade on her plan doesn't sound like a bad deal. Thanks in advance.

ETA: Also would going from Windows OS to Palm OS be a major issue? She is not a very techie person and barely knows how to navigate the windows OS.
    palm is easier than windows to navigate
    email, i use chatter via IMAP no issues
    exchange is supported via versamail (i have never used it)
    batter life is not great
    people say sling box works
    it is a good device
    IMO the Centro is the most solid PALM OS device they have offered.

I would focus on whether I want Windows or Palm OS.

Good Luck
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    The Centro is a great device. The built-in Versamail handles EAS flawlessly, and Slingbox looks great on the little screen (whereas we're still waiting for it on our 800w's!).

You can tether the Centro with either Pdanet or USBModem, and as bling said - Palm os is much easier to navigate than WM.

Oh, and the Centro is CUTE!
    Centro is a good all around smartphone and a great value!
    Sorry to be a negative voice, but EAS is not seamless. Don't get me wrong, I do love the phone and personally can live with the limitations, although it is VERY annoying, but there are several things that the 800w will do that the centro will not. The centro will not see subfolders on the server. Makes it very annoying to file mail and find it on the phone (impossible) but I'm on a desktop often enough to use that to move stuff around. Secondly - WM6 has html email, versamail does not. Also, versamail does not sync tasks, whereas WM6 does.

If the subfolder, html and task thing is not and issue, go with the centro. Otherwise it is a great phone. My primary point is that its small. However, if you cannot live with those limitations, the 800w is the way to go. Luckily I'm on vzw so there is no 800w to think about, if it was I might change my mind
    Chatter on a centro can do that plus much more that the 800w can't. So while I agree that comparing centro/pos/versamail with 800w/wm/outlook gives the 800w the edge, when you use centro/pos/versamail AND chatter, the centro handles e-mail better than the 800w (except for searching the server and enhanced security if you have exchange 2007).
    3 Sharp Wizards (who can remember the model #'s anymore?) -> REX -> PalmPilot -> PalmPilot w/1 MB Upgrade -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm m505 -> Treo 90 -> Treo 600 (Sprint) -> Treo 650 (Sprint) -> Treo 700p (Sprint) -> Treo 755p (Sprint) -> Centro (KB & Batt too small) -> Treo 755p & Black Centro

Current "essential" programs: Chatter, 2day, TakePhone, SplashID, PalmPDF, 4Cast, DA, GoogleMaps, BackupMan, PowerHero, KeyCaps, LudusP, mSafe, TextPlus, VolumeCare, ePocrates, zLauncher.
    To clarify with Chatter - it can only do EAS if you are running Ex2003, it will not connect to Ex2007. Also, it's not supported, and it is not always the easiest to setup. It also does not sync tasks or do html email...

Interestingly, I used Chatter briefly as I have a 2007 hosting company, and set it up for imap idle, which is effectively push. However, what was very odd is that I get emails from one other account that is forwarded to my eas as an empty message with an attachment. Chatter would not d/l it, it just ignored it completely. Kind of an issue.... And I have some minor issue purchasing an eol'd software. If there were something new, perhaps. Also, seven has a palm email app, but same as versamail, no subfolders.
  9.    #9  
    Ok guys I got the phone today. Haven't given it to the wife yet but I have a question.

I have never used PalmOS before. I am strictly windows guy. When I turn my 800w on I get a nice "today screen" that tells me how many emails and text messages I have without having to open each of those applications individually.

Is there any way to set the Centro up to tell you if you have any new email when you turn the device on? I don't need any LED notifications, but i'd like to know I have email if I go to turn on the phone to say check the time. Is this possible? Maybe a little mail icon at the top with say a number next to it?
    Quote Originally Posted by hufn View Post
    To clarify with Chatter - it can only do EAS if you are running Ex2003, it will not connect to Ex2007. Also, it's not supported, and it is not always the easiest to setup. It also does not sync tasks or do html email...

Interestingly, I used Chatter briefly as I have a 2007 hosting company, and set it up for imap idle, which is effectively push. However, what was very odd is that I get emails from one other account that is forwarded to my eas as an empty message with an attachment. Chatter would not d/l it, it just ignored it completely. Kind of an issue.... And I have some minor issue purchasing an eol'd software. If there were something new, perhaps. Also, seven has a palm email app, but same as versamail, no subfolders.
    I respectfully disagree. I am using Chatter with exchange 2007 via imap idle. I have not gotten SSL to work yet though. Everything works fine. Correct it doesn't sync tasks. But I can see HTML messages by pressing browser in the bottom right.
    3 Sharp Wizards (who can remember the model #'s anymore?) -> REX -> PalmPilot -> PalmPilot w/1 MB Upgrade -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm m505 -> Treo 90 -> Treo 600 (Sprint) -> Treo 650 (Sprint) -> Treo 700p (Sprint) -> Treo 755p (Sprint) -> Centro (KB & Batt too small) -> Treo 755p & Black Centro

Current "essential" programs: Chatter, 2day, TakePhone, SplashID, PalmPDF, 4Cast, DA, GoogleMaps, BackupMan, PowerHero, KeyCaps, LudusP, mSafe, TextPlus, VolumeCare, ePocrates, zLauncher.
    Just turn it on by pressing the calendar button and set up the calendar to give you the Today screen on opening.

Quote Originally Posted by DjPiLL View Post
    Ok guys I got the phone today. Haven't given it to the wife yet but I have a question.

I have never used PalmOS before. I am strictly windows guy. When I turn my 800w on I get a nice "today screen" that tells me how many emails and text messages I have without having to open each of those applications individually.

Is there any way to set the Centro up to tell you if you have any new email when you turn the device on? I don't need any LED notifications, but i'd like to know I have email if I go to turn on the phone to say check the time. Is this possible? Maybe a little mail icon at the top with say a number next to it?
    DateBook 6 (http://www.pimlicosoftware.com/datebk6.htm) has a today screen, as does an exceedingly great application that interfaces with the calendar called 2Day (http://shsh.com/) and a few others out there. ZLauncher (http://zztechs.com/product.php?prod=ZLauncher) with its ability to handle plugins and as a note, it comes with a today plugin.
    Quote Originally Posted by DjPiLL View Post

I would recommend that you try TAKEPHONE. It has a very informative openning screen including an email alert. And I am sure that she will enjoy the improved appearance that can be achieved. Check out the TAKEPHONE threads for some great wallpapers.
    Last edited by johncc; 11/28/2008 at 05:07 PM.
    For a today screen, look at 2Day. But if you just want to stick with stock programs, the calendar does have an agenda view and you can have it start with that view.
    another vote for TAKEphONE & 2day. They're both on sale now, also, at shsh.com
    For a newbie, start with the built in today screen and then if it becomes inadequate move on to some of the above suggestions. No reason to overwhelm someone before they've gotten familiar with a new device sporting an unknown os!
    2day and TAKEphONE are great enhancements.
    And you should consider 4cast as a weather app and it's a plugin for 2day and TAKEphONE>

All three apps are from the same developer and have a trial period.
    Here's the link:
    http//:www.shsh.com

Good Luck
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    The Centro is my wife's first smartphone. She loves it! She's a very basic user but I installed ListPro (which she uses for her shopping lists). She likes using the basic Sprint email program that allows her to check her Gmail account throughout the day.