1.    #1  
    well, I finally do want a centro to make my life a bit simpler--while i like my palm tx, the lack of wi-fi access out and about is just getting very annoying. Plus carrying a separate cell plus pager plus palm tx has gotten old fast...helio ocean is a cool phone, but the capacity to add software like a centro, or an iphone, or even for an android g1 phone really is cool

I can get a better corporate rate if I get new cell from verizon, but sprint has the "new" centro with the extra memory and new rubberized body..

Does anyone want to share their verizon vs sprint experiences? Considering sprint is bleeding money, I can see a 2 year contract with them is not a great idea...and their customer service sucks...and they removed the tether option...but is the "new" centro work the hassle?

I am not considering the att version since its EDGE only. i wonder if att crippled it just so it wouldn't cut into their iphone sales?

And while iphone is tempting--no memory card slot--no user replaceable battery---$300 vs much cheaper....I'll stick with centro

of course with new palm os 2.0 around the corner...might be a bad time to upgrade...but i assume it will take a while to get the "new" palm up and running and I can stick with the old until the new bugs are worked out!

DBF
    Check and compare data plans cost between the carriers and coverage area. I'm happy with the Centro and VZW, but I'm kind of locked in on a family plan with VZW. Also I'm of the type who feels that the network is more important that what cool new phones are out.
    First the difference between the "new" 128MB Centro and the old one is very minor. The 70MB or so you get with the old Centro should be plenty of space for you. I am a very heavy user and keep around 15-20MB free. Adding 2GB+ MicroSD cards helps a bunch. In your case I would stick with Verizon. There just isn't enough of a hardware improvement to jump to Sprint on that reason alone.

I have a Sprint Centro and have had no real troubles with the customer support recently (customer since 1999), I can tether the Centro with USBModem with out problem.

AT&T Centro: No GSM PalmOS device has 3G support. So the GSM Centros have not been crippled in any way. All GSM Centros are EDGE only. That is a MAJOR drawback to a GSM versus CDMA Centro in my opinion.

Don't let the release of Nova (next generation PalmOS) sway your decision now!!!! That won't be out until mid-next year at the earliest (if it ever comes out now that AndroidOS is available and free). The Centro has a very stable and mature OS with great capabilities, a great device.
    Hear more talk about my Centro and other industry news, go to thecellphonejunkie.com for a great weekly cell & smartphone podcast.
  4.    #4  
    hmm, with my corporate discount, unlimited internet and unlimited text with 450 min comes out to $69 a month on verizon, which is the same as sprint simply everything 450...so maybe its not that great a deal! The device cost is much lower on verizon and I can get only a 1 year contract for $79 for the device. On sprint the NEW centro would be $179 up front plus other fees I am sure with a $100 rebate...with a 2 year contract

isn't sprint and verizon basically the same network? In my area sprint and verizon seem ok (seattle and bainbridge island)

I guess I didn't mean ATT crippled the centro, its just silly to get it on att when on sprint or verizon it has 3g speed and att is limited to edge with no wi-fi. Its essential a 680 with a new package! hopefully better battery also and better camera!
    "isn't sprint and verizon basically the same network?"

They both use CDMA technology, but they are not the same network.
  6.    #6  
    sorry, my helio ocean has sprint, and I assume since its cdma, it roams on verizon...or maybe not....I guess I'll find out...

I do like my ocean as a phone but the OS issue is a major drag--its a fine phone but most of the promised media applications (the tv store, helio video) have been a total disaster, and it wont work with winamp remote or orb, despite being a multimedia phone that is suppose to be able to stream...and 2 gig only for the sd card, plus no tethering, and I can do that on verizon for an extra $15 (or less with usbmodem or pdanet) when needed...
    and if battery life is bad then I'll get the huge seido replacement battery with new back cover!
    Yes, Sprint phones will roam onto Verizon and Alltell (and probably others). Verizon's network has more coverage nationwide (overall average) then Sprint, but as you point out, if you are without Sprint coverage, then roaming will probably be available.

If you are currently a Sprint customer and near or out-of-contract, then I would call the retention department (*2, then say cancel my account). Say you are thinking about leaving Sprint, they will most likely offer you a new phone (many times for free or if not free, then at the after-rebate price without the rebate hassle) and sometimes they will offer a much cheaper/better plan. I got my Centro through retentions and I have been on a $30/month retention plan for six years.

Also, if you don't want a new contract, I recommend buying a new/used phone off of eBay and activating on your current plan.
    Last edited by strobeyprobey; 11/21/2008 at 12:40 PM.
    Hear more talk about my Centro and other industry news, go to thecellphonejunkie.com for a great weekly cell & smartphone podcast.
    Aw man, I didn't think to ask about a cheaper plan. I just went for the cheap Centros when I renewed earlier this week. New phones were the priority as both of ours were toast.
    Treo 650 -> Centro 128 MB
  9.    #9  
    Alas, I would be a new customer to verizon or sprint. But Verizon gets the better corporate discount!

My only contract is to helio, and thats up in may-no point in trying to beg helio for something! only way I'd stay if the ocean 2 was android ... ain't gonna happen... once I get centro I'll just reduce my $$ on that plan to as low as possible (I can change it down to pretty low a month) or see how much to cancel... not a high concern. Just a bit tired with the tx and hate carrying around multiple devices...
    Quote Originally Posted by strobeyprobey View Post
    Yes, Sprint phones will roam onto Verizon and Alltell (and probably others). Verizon's network has more coverage nationwide (overall average) then Sprint, but as you point out, if you are without Sprint coverage, then roaming will probably be available.

If you are currently a Sprint customer and near or out-of-contract, then I would call the retention department (*2, then say cancel my account). Say you are thinking about leaving Sprint, they will most likely offer you a new phone (many times for free or if not free, then at the after-rebate price without the rebate hassle) and sometimes they will offer a much cheaper/better plan. I got my Centro through retentions and I have been on a $30/month retention plan for six years.

Also, if you don't want a new contract, I recommend buying a new/used phone off of eBay and activating on your current plan.
    When I was with my 4th 700p retentions offered me a refurbished 700p and if I want a 755p it would cost me $500. I was so close to paying the ETF it was rediculous. I eneded up having to add a line on my acct with the centro for $99 for 30 days and then canceled the line and swaped to phone to my line #. Sprint has customer preference.
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    The "new" Centro on Sprint currently only comes in the rather horrid colors of pink & green. The black version is supposedly coming later but it won't be here until they clear out the existing stocks of the 64mb black version.

So aside from the extra RAM, you get the nice rubberized paint on the Sprint version, the newest ROM version right out of the box (1.08), and a bit better software bundle (latest GMM w/ location enabled + the Facebook app which can be downloaded freely anyway).

So unless you are a huge power user and need gobs of RAM, I'd just use the corporate discount/coverage/customer service of each respective carrier as the main factor. So I'd personally go with an "old" 64mb Centro on Verizon over a "new" 128mb Centro on Sprint.

The Centro, even in its 64mb form, has more available memory out of the box than any older Palm OS-based Treo, so you'll be in good shape anyway.
    Pilot 1000-->Pilot 5000-->PalmPilot Pro-->IIIe-->Vx-->m505-->T|T-->T|T2-->T|C-->T|T3-->T|T5-->TX-->Verizon Treo 700P-->Verizon Treo 755p-->Verizon Motorola Droid + Verizon Centro--> Verizon Motorola Droid X + Palm TX-->Verizon Droid Bionic + Palm TX
  12.    #12  
    Well, I ordered the centro from Verizon today.

With my corporate discount, its about as cheap as I would have paid for a sprint simply everything plan at 450 min a month ($70 for unlimited internet and messaging)... I am not sure if thats a good thing or not...I hope verizon network is worth the expense. Without the corporate discount verizon would be much more expensive than sprint.

Is verizon THAT much better? They don't even have the new centro yet!

Will post my thoughts once the thing arrives, next goal is to get rid of my helio ocean..
    I don't think Verizon is worth the extra money (my travels, home and work have good Sprint coverage). Also, if you have Sprint Fair and Flexible plans, you don't get charged for occasional roaming minutes (I do get charged for roaming minutes, but not for SMS or Data while roaming) so you basically can get Verizon coverage with the Sprint price. Customer service with Verizon is much better, so you do pay extra for that as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by strobeyprobey View Post
    Customer service with Verizon is much better, so you do pay extra for that as well.
    Not according to the latest surveys which rated Sprint #1 in CS (From last place).
    Quote Originally Posted by hamlet423 View Post
    I guess I didn't mean ATT crippled the centro, its just silly to get it on att when on sprint or verizon it has 3g speed and att is limited to edge with no wi-fi.
    OTOH, some may think it silly to get the CDMA centro when the GSM version will work in over 200 countries and the CDMA version is limited to a few outside North America.
  16.    #16  
    GSM centro, yes that was a thought, but I got a better deal with verizon, and the gsm centro does not have high speed HSPDA access on a GSM platform. Without wifi, limited the centro to EDGE speeds, makes it essentially a better treo 680. It if had wi-fi, MAYBE. but nope, so no go.
    If i need a gsm phone for travel i can get one...or buy an iphone
    Quote Originally Posted by hamlet423 View Post
    GSM centro, yes that was a thought, but I got a better deal with verizon, and the gsm centro does not have high speed HSPDA access on a GSM platform. Without wifi, limited the centro to EDGE speeds, makes it essentially a better treo 680. It if had wi-fi, MAYBE. but nope, so no go.
    If i need a gsm phone for travel i can get one...or buy an iphone
    Problem with the IPhone is it is SIM locked so you will be paying huge roaming charges. The problem with buying another phone that has GSM is you will lose all the smartphone functionality and will be stuck carrying around two devices.
  18.    #18  
    clearly next centro/nova palm device should be cdma with gsm dual band functionality world phone status!