1.    #1  
    I just noticed Mapopolis 3.0 beta is available for download. Has anyone tried it out? I'm interested in its usability with GPS and its VFS capabilities(ability to read maps off of external memory cards). I'd be especially interested in hearing if it is working with the Memplug VFS that's now in beta testing, though I assume beta testers are not at liberty to say so.
    The FAQ says that it works with Palm m500/505 using VFS with Palm OS 4.0. Does that mean that Visor Deluxe is left behind even with VFS from Dave Kessler?
    Dave Kessler had been testing the pre-beta 3.0 and had it working with VFSHelper. I downloaded it to my VDX and it appears to work, recognizing the CF card and finding the map file even though it was not in the PALM\Launcher directory. BUT, it's still not reading the file directly from the CF, it's copying it to RAM. I tried to load my Los Angeles map (3.1 meg) and after several minutes, it told me there wasn't enough memory on my Visor. I've got 2.2 meg free, so it must be trying to copy the whole thing.

Dave also wrote that it appears that you have to move the maps over using Mapopolis and not FAFileMover.
  4.    #4  
    Originally posted by Anomaly
    BUT, it's still not reading the file directly from the CF, it's copying it to RAM. I tried to load my Los Angeles map (3.1 meg) and after several minutes, it told me there wasn't enough memory on my Visor. I've got 2.2 meg free, so it must be trying to copy the whole thing.
    That's pretty disappointing. I had hoped that when they enabled VFS for Mapopolis, they would have segmented the data so that it didn't have to be loaded all at once.

On the other hand, the GPS capabilities seem to work fine. I was able to hook up my old Palm Pilot to my ETrex and scrolling across from one map to another as I drove is done seamlessly when the maps are in RAM. Hopefully, it works the same way when the maps are on the external memory card. Guess it's time to get a serial cable for my visor.
    Originally posted by dvIceT

On the other hand, the GPS capabilities seem to work fine. I was able to hook up my old Palm Pilot to my ETrex and scrolling across from one map to another as I drove is done seamlessly when the maps are in RAM. Hopefully, it works the same way when the maps are on the external memory card. Guess it's time to get a serial cable for my visor.
    On my Visor (PalmOs 3.1) I get an error message when I try Mapopolis 3.0 to connect to my Etrex:New Serial manager not loaded. Does this mean that it will not work with lowend Visors? My cable is fine, as it works with GpsAtlas, Gpstrip and other gps programs.
    From reading the emails on the FlashAdapter forum, it appears that Mapopolis will work with Visor Deluxe (Palm OS 3.1) and Dave Kessler's VFS, provided you make allowances for the fact that:
    1. Map files must be moved by Mapopolis, not FileMover (something to do with Mapopolis renaming files that it is working with); and
    2. Mapopolis copies the files into RAM, so there has to be enough room or problems result; and
    3. You set up the proper directory for the maps on the memory card.

Sounds a lot like the days of MS DOS.
  7.    #7  
    Originally posted by anton

On my Visor (PalmOs 3.1) I get an error message when I try Mapopolis 3.0 to connect to my Etrex:New Serial manager not loaded. Does this mean that it will not work with lowend Visors? My cable is fine, as it works with GpsAtlas, Gpstrip and other gps programs.
    I don't have the cable yet but I tried to enable the GPS feature on my VDX anyway and got the "New Serial Manager" message too. I hope this doesn't mean Mapopolis 3.0 GPS capabilities are incompatible with OS 3.1 Visors and serial port connected GPS units.
    Mapopolis works fine with VFS. When you open a map located on the card, it copies to memory. When you exit Mapopolis, it asks if you want to delete the copied file(s).
    <div align="left"><font size="+2" color="#FF8000">Mike</font>
    <hr width="200">
    <font color="Red"><i>Programming is the struggle between programmers<br> building bigger and better ***** proof systems<br> and the universe building bigger and better idiots</i></font>
    <hr width="200">
    <b><a href="http://enhanceyourlife.com">http://enhanceyourlife.com</a><br>
    <a href="http://www.furrbrain.com">http://www.furrbrain.com</a></b></div>
    Originally posted by dvIceT

I don't have the cable yet but I tried to enable the GPS feature on my VDX anyway and got the "New Serial Manager" message too. I hope this doesn't mean Mapopolis 3.0 GPS capabilities are incompatible with OS 3.1 Visors and serial port connected GPS units.
    I relayed my problems to the makers of mapopolis and yesterday I received by email a version of the beta which does work with OS 3.1 Visors as far as GPS support goes. They did a great job fixing it. I don't know whether the version on the website is already updated. There was a preliminary attempt posted a couple of days ago, but that one crashed on my Visor.

I relayed my problems to the makers of mapopolis and yesterday I received by email a version of the beta which does work with OS 3.1 Visors as far as GPS support goes. They did a great job fixing it. I don't know whether the version on the website is already updated. There was a preliminary attempt posted a couple of days ago, but that one crashed on my Visor.
    That's good of Mapopolis. Maybe they will hear our complaints about loading entire maps instead of segments...
  11.    #11  

I just downloaded the updated beta and it doesn't give the "New Serial Manager" error anymore.

Is it my imagination or did they remove the "Directions" button from the menu screen? When I selected it on the previous beta version, it complained that only enhanced maps supported directions. Maybe they're having trouble implementing this feature. It would have been nice to have though not absolutely necessary.
    Time to bring this thread back. I've just downloaded Mapopolis 3.1 for use on my Visor Prism w/ FlashPlug. I've VFS enabled and Mapopolis seems to see the card but not the maps. I've searched for info if the maps have to be in a certian directory or something but no avail.
    The names have to be in the correct directory with the proper county/state naming convention. I tried the Teal production for CF card manipulation but when used for renaming it caused the extension to be .PDB, not .pdb. Guess I have to copy all of the maps over through Mapopolis, what a gip! Do I have that kind of time? Guess so!........