1.    #1  
    You guys have been so helpful (Many Thanks from jbm2kus ) I thought I would post this. My Kingston sdhc 4gb card wouldn't work, and I did not feel like buying another, so I searched and found a suitable solution to fix the problem .

Don't throw your card away before trying this:

1. Download SDFormatter v.2 from:
    Panasonic support (Google), I'm new so I can't post links.
    2.Then reformat the Kingston sdhc/sd card with the prgm.

Note: I did a Full erase 1st, then formatted the card. It may not be necessary
    but I did it anyway. The card works fine now, it doesn't say Kingston (Generic)
    but it works. Hopefully others can help those who may not know how to do this. Hope this helps
    Last edited by jbm2kus; 11/20/2008 at 09:48 AM.
    I believe this is the link:
    http://panasonic.jp/support/global/c...formatter.html

I will have to try that... if I can find that 4GB Kingston card I had.
  3.    #3  
    Hope you find it worked for me. Let us know how it went.
  4.    #4  
    I was reading that SD/SDHC cards are formatted in a special way that is why you can't use SDFormatter with other products. Here is quote from panasonics sight:

This software formats SD Memory Card and SDHC Memory Card(SD/SDHC Memory Card) using a formatting program that complies with the SD Memory Card specification SD formatting provides quick and easy access to the SD Memory Card.

Generally, SD/SDHC Memory Card file systems formatted with generic operating system formatting software do not comply with the SD Memory Card specification.
    This is totally amazing! I have gone through 4 SDHC cards trying to find one that will delete large files quickly (I listen to and delete a lot of large podcasts). Here is what I measured before trying this format program:
    Time to delete one 54mb file-
    Kingston 2gb SD card - <1sec deletion - VFSmark 1100
    Adata 4gb SDHC card 58 sec deletion- VFSmark 887
    Transcend 4gb SDHC card 90 sec deletion- VFSmark 824
    Patriot 4gb SDHC card -99 sec deletion- VFSmark 685
    Kingston 4gb SDHC card -205 sec deletion- VFSmark 734

I just used the Panasonic program on the Transcend and Kingston 4gb cards and it is deleting 53mb files in about a second. It can actually delete sixteen 53mb files in about a second!
    I notice that windows XP does not recognize the card when I look at it immediately after the Panasonic format- it asks to format it again. At that point, just popping it into the centro and removing it (in which time the Centro adds a PALM folder) allows XP to read it.

I thought there was something fundementally flawed in SDHC cards. It didn't matter if I formated them on my PC or in the centro. I have been beating my head against this for months! Thanks jbm2kus!!!!!!!
    BTW - how did you find this fix? Thanks!
    Global Posts
    2,486 Global Posts
    There is an optimal block size for a particular SD card. If you change the block size (possibly by accident) you can drastically affect the cards performance.

I found this out many years ago with my 150x Transcend 4GB SD card. It was doing around 18MByte/sec, then one day dropped to around 6MByte/sec. I back tracked an found the only thing I did was format with 4K blocks. Once I reformatted with the original block size, the fast speeds returned.

As an aside, I've noticed that the cards don't always come from the factory with optimal block sizes. I had a couple of micro SDHC cards of the same model. All except one came with 32KB block size. The one that didn't was slower so I reformatted and it matched the rest.
    I had the same issue with the kingston SDC4/4GB on my Verizon Centro. I tried the panasonic formatter and it seemed to work at first. Initially it was disappearing pretty much after anything I did whether it was taking pictures, videos, or simply browsing with the file manager. After using the panasonic tool, it took about 5 minutes of use before it disappeared.

As a last ditch effort before returning the card to Amazon, I used Windows XP's Disk Management program to do a full format (not a quick format) with 32KB block size. I've now been using it without problems for ~1/2 hour. Hopefully it'll stick.
    I had the same problem with a 4GB Kingston. I gave up and got a 4GB Sandisk. Too bad I didn't read here more before buying it.
    Update: I've had the card disappear a couple times since doing the format, but it usually goes days without any problems. Jury's still out on whether it's annoying enough to replace.
    Here's what I've found. The Sandisk Class 6 "Extreme III" SDHC card is extremely fast, however, it apparently stops responding on a very frequent basis, which is a royal pain. It will work just fine if the Treo is plugged-in, so I'm thinking it has something to do with not being able to handle it if the card slot's voltage/current drops, as probably happens either by design (firmware hack anyone?? ), or as a consequence of the battery charge decreasing. I finally got sick of dealing with it and replaced with the Kingston 4GB Class 4. This card stays connected just fine, but is slow as dog with file saving and deleting

I'm wondering now if I should try to exchange it for the Sandisk 4GB SDHC Class 4 Ultra II card or the Kingston Class 6 card .

I also have the NON-HC 4GB Transcend SD card, but that one was horribly slow - much worse than the Kingston (but still better than the 2GB PNY card it replaced).

Is there anywhere that has all the current 4GB SDHC cards in a side by side comparison?

BTW - all cards formatted as FAT32 with 32K Block Size. I used CardSpeed and VFSMark to test, and both confirmed my personal observations. The only card of the 4 that CardSpeed considered "Excellent" was the Sandisk Extreme III, but I couldn't live with the card shutting down all the time . VFSMark gave the Extreme III a score around 1200, with the other cards in the 500-750 range.
    Don't forget the 8GB cards. They work just fine on the Centro. The only issue I have had is when I was close to having 4 GB on the card, my BackupMan software thought there was no room. I ADDED a few more mp3's to push it over 4 GB and everything is fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by jbm2kus View Post
    You guys have been so helpful (Many Thanks from jbm2kus ) I thought I would post this. My Kingston sdhc 4gb card wouldn't work, and I did not feel like buying another, so I searched and found a suitable solution to fix the problem .

Don't throw your card away before trying this:

1. Download SDFormatter v.2 from:
    Panasonic support (Google), I'm new so I can't post links.
    2.Then reformat the Kingston sdhc/sd card with the prgm.

Note: I did a Full erase 1st, then formatted the card. It may not be necessary
    but I did it anyway. The card works fine now, it doesn't say Kingston (Generic)
    but it works. Hopefully others can help those who may not know how to do this. Hope this helps
    I wasn't having trouble with my SD but I still appreciate you finding this.
    Thanks
    Just call me Berd.