1.    #1  
    I am a very frustrated 2 yr+ 700p user. I am undecided whether to purchase a 755 on Ebay or migrate to the Blackberry Storm this Friday. I figure I will be giving up some desirable but not deal breaking apps on my Treo (cheap push email through Chatter for instance). However, I don't want to purchase a 755 if I will suffer through the same lags and unprovoked reset issues. So are there any ex-700p users who had similar issues and have experience as to their persistence or disappearance after migrating to a 755?
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    the 755 has some improvements...the non-slip case, better mem card placement, louder ringers...but QC is non-existent. I am on my 3rd 755 over about 4 or 5 months. stability, lag and call sound quality are still as crappy as they were on the 700. Go BB I wish I did
    I'm in a similar boat except I've torn between the centro, storm, and touch pro (of all things).
    The 755p has severe lags likely from NVFS which plagues all the newer Palm OS devices. If you don't have a lot of Palm software I'd go with a different OS.

Adam
  5.    #5  
    I added up the cost of my software and hardware investment (charging cables, cases) which would be compatible with the 755 but would be useless with the BB. About $300.
    Quote Originally Posted by phillydog View Post
    I added up the cost of my software and hardware investment (charging cables, cases) which would be compatible with the 755 but would be useless with the BB. About $300.
    The hardware you should be able to sell in Ebay and the rest you can discard. I think the big issue is software, not just in terms of cost, but in finding substitutes and the time in reinstalling and learning time.

Adam
    I went from a 700p to a 755p. The 755p is much more stable. It is the model that should have been the 650's successor. I also have a centro. That is even more stable but I can't deal with the smaller keyboard. If you like POS, either the 755p or the centro are still viable smartphones for now (except no built-in GPS or REV-A).
    3 Sharp Wizards (who can remember the model #'s anymore?) -> REX -> PalmPilot -> PalmPilot w/1 MB Upgrade -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm m505 -> Treo 90 -> Treo 600 (Sprint) -> Treo 650 (Sprint) -> Treo 700p (Sprint) -> Treo 755p (Sprint) -> Centro (KB & Batt too small) -> Treo 755p & Black Centro

Current "essential" programs: Chatter, 2day, TakePhone, SplashID, PalmPDF, 4Cast, DA, GoogleMaps, BackupMan, PowerHero, KeyCaps, LudusP, mSafe, TextPlus, VolumeCare, ePocrates, zLauncher.
    convert you 700p into a 755P for nothing. read about it in the 700p forum. i did mine and ir was rock solid stable compared to before.....
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetfreak View Post
    I went from a 700p to a 755p. The 755p is much more stable. It is the model that should have been the 650's successor. I also have a centro. That is even more stable but I can't deal with the smaller keyboard. If you like POS, either the 755p or the centro are still viable smartphones for now (except no built-in GPS or REV-A).
    Stability-wise the 755p in my experience (with Verizon) has been adequate; not as good as the older Palms but adequate. I've had one reset loop that required a hard reset in a few months of use. It's also more temperemental with software that's not specifically written for it. I get frequent soft resets with my iGo Bluetooth keyboard driver, that was discontinued.

Unfortunately a lot of life has left the Palm OS world and more and more software is no longer supported.

The main problems with 755p IMO are:

- the lags when switching apps, usually a few seconds, but occassionally I have to wait several seconds. The snappiness of the old Palm OS is gone.

-a soft reset takes almost as much time as on a Windows PC as the monster boots up.

-Palm OS is dying a slow death and there is more and more orphan software

-the keyboard does not work well with the touch screen, which was really designed for Grafitti and a stylus.

I hate to be the one negative because I still use 3 Palm PDAs and have become dependent on a lot of Palm OS software.

Adam
  10.    #10  
    I have 2 essential apps (Handbase and Epocrates) and they both have BB versions. The other software that I am less dependent on likely has BB clones (Datebook, Call Record, some references written for iSilo) but there would be a great deal of time involved in re-entering data and learning new software. I'll see how far I get and how much I am missing during my Verizon trial period.
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    The 700 batteries will not fit in the 755 unless used with an extended battery door. The 700 cases and holsters are too big for the 755. The charging cables are the same. 700 uses a standard SD card, 755 uses a micro in a mini adapter. I noticed a marginal increase in stability of the 755 over the 700. I lost count but I think Im on my 5th or 6th one. That includes one with a DOA screen from being launched across the room in a fit of frustration when it just stared at me with a blank screen when I answered a call. I have watched them reboot on dialing, opening a contact, going from one app to another and my favorite-just sitting on my desk.

Treo is a dead smartphone walking. Go with the Storm. I would if it could wireless sync Exchange/Outlook.
    Pushing the Boundaries of Disorganization
    I thought I would make the jump to the Storm but after two days, sent it back and reactivated my (Verizon) Treo 700p. Talk about lags, funky info showing up on the screen.... BB will undoubtedly provide firmware updates, but even if they do, introducing data on the Storm touchscreen is no joy. And as I found out, there is no way of making data on the Storm secure from probing eyes, except by locking the whole device (this goes along with Outlook which does not permit putting passwords on individual files -- only on the entire Outlook desktop). If only Palm would get its act together and develop a more sophisticated, thinner, more "Now" Palm OS device.
    I've got a 755p and it usually screams between programs. I've run the update on it, which fixed latency issues. also, my father picked up a rev. b 755p and it is faster than the rev. a by quite a bit. as far as the 700p, I would flash it using the 700p->755p flasher that's in the 700p forums. it will make you a much happier camper for now, and if you like the software fixes, you can get a real 755p/centro. the storm still needs some software updates. I'd recommend updating to the 755p software and waiting for Palm OS 2.0 Nova