Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    I have had the Centro for over a year now and just received the new rose colored Centro from Sprint. Looking at the two side by side there is a clear difference in screen quality. The new one is far worse than the current. The screen looks dull and washed out with a very poor viewing angle. Very disappointing. Has anyone else noticed this?
    Palm's shooting down the drain faster than ever.
    Maybe you just got a bad phone? I find it hard to believe they would be using a crappier screen in the new one... Take it back to the Sprint store.
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    The screen doesn't look defective, just less quality. I will compare it to another at the Sprint store and determine if it is just a bad one. Will report back.
    Quote Originally Posted by agheler View Post
    The screen doesn't look defective, just less quality. I will compare it to another at the Sprint store and determine if it is just a bad one. Will report back.
    Perhaps it's just a brightness and contrast issue???
    Sounds like problem between chair and keyboard.
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    Not a hard thing to believe at all. Palm has been notorious for being wildly inconsistent in hardware quality levels & component choices for years now.

A few examples:

-Palm m505 (2001) USA-built vs. Hungary-built units.

-Palm T3. Sharp vs. Sony OEM LCDs. Remember the "stagelight" affair?

-Palm Tungsten E, E2, T5 & TX. Some users had their power button sag & crap out within a few months. Others have gone years with no problem. I've also had 3 TX's and they all had different looking screens.

-Palm LifeDrive. Whatever the deal was, these varied tremendously from one unit to the next. One LifeDrive would reboot and crash at the drop of a hat and another unit could be running the identical software load and be relatively stable.

Then of course, we have had "A" and "B" hardware revisions of various Treos over the years as well. I personally went through 3 or 4 700p's and could notice a substantial difference in screen brightness, tint, and earpiece/speakerphone volume between the various units.

Palm's doing everything in their power to reduce their expenses and boost their margins. If they have to offset the decline in Centro sales & the expense factor of stuff like ROM updates + the additional component costs of the soft-touch paint + 128mb RAM, then it's quite possible they are trying to save a few cents with a lesser quality LCD.

Hoping to "get a good one" is not a recent phenomenon amongst long-time Palm followers.
    Pilot 1000-->Pilot 5000-->PalmPilot Pro-->IIIe-->Vx-->m505-->T|T-->T|T2-->T|C-->T|T3-->T|T5-->TX-->Verizon Treo 700P-->Verizon Treo 755p-->Verizon Motorola Droid + Verizon Centro--> Verizon Motorola Droid X + Palm TX-->Verizon Droid Bionic + Palm TX
    I guess I been lucky that my only hardware issues with older Palm Pda's has been only the power switch sticking issue.

I also didnt rush out and get every new model that they made.

One user posting about a possible lesser screen doesnt make them all that way!
    Global Posts
    2,486 Global Posts
    The screen for the olive green centro I saw at the store didn't look bad. I know centro's have different screens though I don't know the pattern. Some have a reddish tinge when the screen is off and seen at an angle. Some have a grayish/clear look. Some have a less responsive touch screen.