1.    #1  
    Hi guys. I had a treo 650 last year, and despite it having 2 bad batteries that only lasted a couple days, and damage to the faceplate, I loved it. Until it hit the ground in the basement and the screen busted, as well as the battery contacts.

After a series of dumb phones, I have come to realize that the treo 650 was just about the perfect phone for me. I found one for a descent price and plan on getting it. It is a cingular GSM version, just like the one I had. One thing, and I never realized there was one, it's a cameraless version. I knew there was a cingular cameraless treo 600, as well as the 750 they currently offer.

I was wondering if it is possible to swap in the camera module and back cover from my dead 650 to the working one. I talked to the seller, and from what they tell me, the camera app is not there, so I hope adding it back in will make it come back. I was watching a take apart video, and it looks like the camera is a plug in module as far as I can tell. My zire 71 has this, only the camera is on a short ribbon cable. And I had an old v220 that used the camera as a separate part idea.

So, would this be possible, or should I not even attempt it and find one that has a camera? I don't really need a cam, and my current phone does not even have one.

Thanks in advance.
    i'd be afraid i'd mess it up and just find one with a camera
    What can I say? A girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do!
    Nokia 3360 -> Sony Ericsson t226 -> Sony Ericsson z500 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 680 -> AT&T Centro
  3.    #3  
    I don't think I would mess it up, I have the right tools, and I have taken phones apart before and put them back together, and they work 100%.

Somebody want to prove my theory that the camera is a seperate module? if so I could go ahead with this.
    Motorola v180->Motorola v220->LG CU500->Nokia 1100->Treo 650->Motofone F3-Nokia 1100 (same one)->Samsung SGH-A127-?Nokia 1100 (same one)->Samsung SGH-A127 (different one)->Samsung
    SGH-A117->Treo 650.

That's alotta phones. And all in only 4 years.

Apparently, you can go home again. Treo 650 forever!!
    If you have the know-how, then I say go for it. The most difficult phone surgery I've ever done is taking a screen out of one 680 in order to repair another. :-D
    What can I say? A girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do!
    Nokia 3360 -> Sony Ericsson t226 -> Sony Ericsson z500 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 680 -> AT&T Centro
  5.    #5  
    Well, I bit the bullet, so we shall see. He also said the OS crashed while trying to check what ROM it had, and said he tried a hard reset, and nothing happened. I will attempt one of those zero out resets (more through than a hard reset) and see if that fixes the problem.

I took a closer look at it, the camera resides on the cellular radio daughter board. I never knew this, but that is the part they swap out dependent on of it's a CDMA or GSM treo, as the SIM card sits in the top, and that is where the slot is. Maybe I will just swap the radio if the camera does not come out regularly.
    Motorola v180->Motorola v220->LG CU500->Nokia 1100->Treo 650->Motofone F3-Nokia 1100 (same one)->Samsung SGH-A127-?Nokia 1100 (same one)->Samsung SGH-A127 (different one)->Samsung
    SGH-A117->Treo 650.

6.    #6  
    Alright, I got it today. I noticed that very few keys on this thing work. I noticed the shift key was stuck, so I decided to take it apart and follow the thread titled "How to fix broken keys/inside my Treo", posted by ka1. Sorry I can't post a link to it, my post count is too low right now. Upon taking it apart, I noticed hair and gunk on the mat under the keyboard, so I cleaned it up. I carefully plugged tkey keyboard in, and pushed the battery to the pins. It booted, so I tried to press the home key while it was at the phone app. Nothing happened, as it did before. Only the end and center keys appear to work. If I can find the old 650, I will just swap the keyboard in, unless someone else happens to have a method of fixing it. Mine does not appear to have the foil the person in the other thread was talking about, but the back is a piece of white plastic. The front has that white flim like layer over the key bumps.

Also, I noticed the software was Treo650-1b.17-CNG. Does the b indicate a beta version? I have never seen this before, as my old one had 1.17 installed.
    SGH-A117->Treo 650.

Mine says Treo650-1.17-CNG. That's weird for the b to show up in the middle.
  8.    #8  
    Alright, I managed to fix the keypad. I figured out the "foil" is the white stuff on the front of the keypad. I simply peeled it up, and pushed it out. I don't think I will be using the right shift key any time soon. Though as soon as I do locate the other 650, I will swap in it's keyboard.

I did some searching, and I found a support page on palm's site, apparently that is a legitimate software string, and the 1.17 software is installed, though there is also a Treo650-1.17-CNG out, and if I can figure out how to do it, I will attempt to install the update.
    SGH-A117->Treo 650.

i think it possible.
    u may add the camera module, then upload the camera.prc to ROM.
    actually it's more difficult than that, I think the treo's are keyed to there own camera.