1.    #1  
    I am a LONG time Treo 700p user thinking about switching to an HTC pro.

What are some of your thoughts regarding this switch?
    Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    I think I'll wait for the HTC Blackstone. If Russia has it then we have to be able to get it soon.
    HP-41, HP-41CV, Nokia 5165, LG 5250, LG LX5350, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700P 32GB SDHC, HTC Touch Pro 16GB + BIZZ 16GB
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    Hi RealDeal71! If you want to get a good look of the HTC Pro, here's a link that I hope will be helpful in making your decision easier.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=173279
    Using a Centro with free ActiveSync at http://www.TheMessageCenter.com
    Quote Originally Posted by RealDeal71 View Post
    I am a LONG time Treo 700p user thinking about switching to an HTC pro.

What are some of your thoughts regarding this switch?
    I did it and I was sorry. Took the Touch Pro back after a week and got an 800W. I'm trying to make myself use it, but I'm almost ready to go back to the 700p.
  5.    #5  
    I go the Touch Pro and I AM returning it... I was planning on getting the 800W... what exactly don't you like about it?
    Quote Originally Posted by RealDeal71 View Post
    I go the Touch Pro and I AM returning it... I was planning on getting the 800W... what exactly don't you like about it?
    It just seems like it takes more taps or keypresses to get basic tasks done on the 800W. The screen on the 800W while better looking than the one on the 700p always seems busier and more cluttered while at the same time displaying less information than the 700p.

Things that don't seem like a big deal when you read this, add up to a little more trouble here and there and a less satisfying user experience. A few examples:

On the 700p when accessing a secondary function of one of the primary keys, you press the function key then the primary key. This can be done using one hand. On the 800W, you have to hold them down simultaneously. Unless you have a lot more dexterous and flexible fingers than I do, this requires two hands.

To access a program not assigned to a button on the 800W, you press the start key, P for programs, then you're taken to the screen with your programs. On the 700p, you just press the home key. I know one extra keypress doesn't sound like much, but it adds up.

The 800W doesn't have categories for the notes. I use the categories a lot in the memo application on the 700p. While there are categories for tasks on the 800W, it is more tedious to cycle through them.

The 800W does not sync well with more than one computer. This is a WM 6.1 problem not unique to the 800w. I regularly synced my 700p between 3 computers without any problems.

How do you you turn the bluetooth on or off on the 2? On the 700p with the stylus, you just tap the little bluetooth icon at the top of the screen and then choose on or off on the bluetooth screen. Without the stylus, you hit the home key, choose the bluetooth program, and then choose on or off. On the 800W you hit the start key, choose settings, go to the connection tab, choose the bluetooth icon, go to the mode tab, then check bluetooth on or off. Tedious with the stylus, more so with the keypad.

There is no shift or number lock symbol on the 800w like on the 700p, so you don't have any verification if you're in one of those modes.

Another minor annoyance is that the selected field or button on the 800W is harder to discern than on the 700p. The bright ring around them on the 700p is a lot easier to see.

A good example of the difference between the two is the basic alarm function. The alarm program on the 800W is harder to get to, and a little more work to set up. On the other side of the coin, it is a lot more versatile.

While it's true that there's not much development going on in the Palm community. The programs seem more mature and easier to use, maybe there's not much room for improvement. On the WM side, the programs still don't seem to be there usability wise.

I have not been able to get splashshopper, daynotez, or bonsai to work on the 800W, I used them a lot.

I do like the search better on the 800W, you can confine it to a single program which speeds it up. The contact lookup on the 800w is more functional. Recently dialed numbers are more accesible on the 800W.

The two soft keys at the bottom of the screen on the 800W can be very convenient in a well designed program. The left key normally accesses the most used command for a particular screen.

Overall I like the 800W much more than the Touch Pro. When I was experiencing my frustrations with the Touch Pro, I took it to the Sprint store for a couple of pointers. I noticed the rep held the phone in one hand and operated it with the other. With the 800W, you should be able to do just about everything one handed, it will just take more steps than with the 700p. If I can get Daynotez, SplashShopper, and Bonsai working I will try to give the 800W more time.
    I went from the 700p to the touch diamond and I have no regrets! The smaller form factor of the diamond vs the touch pro was the deciding factor for me. After years of carrying around bricks (treo 600 then 700p) its nice having something that fits well in your pocket.

Functionality wise, you really arent giving up anything, the winmo operating systems can do just as much as palm if not more these days, and the phone never locks up during routine tasks.

The virtual keyboard took some getting used to after 5 years of owning treos, but honestly it didnt take long and I feel I can type just as fast if not faster with it using T9. Bluetooth works so much better and opera renders web pages amazingly fast compared to blazer.

Read the forums on ppcgeeks.com and you will find out a lot of info about these phones.
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryCPA View Post
    I went from the 700p to the touch diamond and I have no regrets! The smaller form factor of the diamond vs the touch pro was the deciding factor for me. After years of carrying around bricks (treo 600 then 700p) its nice having something that fits well in your pocket.

Functionality wise, you really arent giving up anything, the winmo operating systems can do just as much as palm if not more these days, and the phone never locks up during routine tasks.

The virtual keyboard took some getting used to after 5 years of owning treos, but honestly it didnt take long and I feel I can type just as fast if not faster with it using T9. Bluetooth works so much better and opera renders web pages amazingly fast compared to blazer.

Read the forums on ppcgeeks.com and you will find out a lot of info about these phones.
    Out of curiosity, are you using the Touchflo interface or the standard windows mobile interface? Also, do you hold the phone in one hand and enter data with the other, or are you using it one handed?
    I am using the Touchflow interface with a custom ROM and it is blazing fast (look up Juicy ROMS on PPCgeeks). Typing is pretty much the same as the treo, hold the phone with two hands and use your thumbs on the keyboard. When I use it one handed, its actually faster than the Treo because of the compact qwerty (its kind of like the blackberry that has two letters per key, so its easy to type on) with T9. If you turn the device landscape, it automatically gives you the full qwerty keyboard when you click on text/number fields. Its pretty cool!
    I am using the Touchflow interface with a custom ROM and it is blazing fast (look up Juicy ROMS on PPCgeeks). Typing is pretty much the same as the treo, hold the phone with two hands and use your thumbs on the keyboard. When I use it one handed, its actually faster than the Treo because of the compact qwerty (its kind of like the blackberry that has two letters per key, so its easy to type on) with T9. If you turn the device landscape, it automatically gives you the full qwerty keyboard when you click on text/number fields. Its pretty cool!
    The thing that drove me the most nuts with the Touch Pro was the back arrow/OK button. It only worked about half the time. What has been your experience with the Touch as far as that goes?
    Quote Originally Posted by mwrob View Post
    The thing that drove me the most nuts with the Touch Pro was the back arrow/OK button. It only worked about half the time. What has been your experience with the Touch as far as that goes?

It can be non-responsive at times, but I have found it to be improved using custom ROMS

Don't get me wrong, this phone isnt perfect, but its worlds ahead of the Treos IMO.
    It can be non-responsive at times, but I have found it to be improved using custom ROMS

Don't get me wrong, this phone isnt perfect, but its worlds ahead of the Treos IMO.
    I was researching more on the web yesterday and noticed that the user reviews on cnet for the Touch Pro were overwhelmingly positive. That made me wonder if I had missed something when I had the Touch Pro.

Well, then I watched some YouTube videos on the Touch Pro and realized why I was fighting with the Touch Pro so much. I was trying to do everything using the navigation ring and hard buttons. To use the phone properly, you have to get in the habit of using your finger on the screen, something I'm not in the habit of doing on the Treo. I saw that on the Touch Pro, things that require pressing are larger and can be done using you finger and don't require a stylus.

I also thought about when I use the Treo and when I use one hand and when I use two. I use one hand mostly when I'm accessing information or using the phone. When I'm entering text, I almost always use two hands. When I need to use two hands, it's really no big deal to use the slide out key board on the Touch Pro. After watching the videos and going back to the Sprint store, I think that I will be able to access information and use the phone one handed without any trouble once I spend some time with the Touch Pro. I've also read that you can use AE Buttons to program the back button to behave as the ok button all the time, that was another thing I didn't like about the Touch Pro.

I think I'm going to call Sprint and see if I can trade my 800W in for the Touch Pro.
    Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    Moved on to the Touch Pro now.
    HP-41, HP-41CV, Nokia 5165, LG 5250, LG LX5350, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700P 32GB SDHC, HTC Touch Pro 16GB + BIZZ 16GB
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    ^ Please visit back here and let us know what you think. I am seriously thinking about a Touch Pro to replace my 700p.
    Quote Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
    ^ Please visit back here and let us know what you think. I am seriously thinking about a Touch Pro to replace my 700p.
    I used a Spriint 700p for over 2 years and loved it. Then I went to the 800w and used it for just under 30 days. Returned the 3rd units and reactivated my 700p for about a couple months.

Then went and got the Sprint Touch Pro. Way better WinMo device than the 800w. Everything works flawlessly, the OS has more capabilty. It seems like HTC put some thought into the device.

I am a Palm device fan, but the 800w was a rush job to market, and it acts like it.

The Touch Pro is a keeper...

Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    How is the Touch Pro for one handed operation? I like the idea of the full qwerty keyboard for emails and editing office files, but I don't want to have to slide the thing out every time I need to make an appointment or check on a contact, etc. Is the Touch user friendly without opening the keyboard?
    Quote Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
    How is the Touch Pro for one handed operation? I like the idea of the full qwerty keyboard for emails and editing office files, but I don't want to have to slide the thing out every time I need to make an appointment or check on a contact, etc. Is the Touch user friendly without opening the keyboard?
    The Touch Pro offers 3 virtual (screen) keybords for the user to choose. All are standard screen portrait mode.

1) Compact qwerty

2) Full qwerty

3) Keyboard

These keybaords are totally one handed.

With it's 480 x 640 screen resolution, these virtual keyboards do not fill the screen.

The hard keyboard is a miniature version of what you have in front of your pc or on your laptop. It can slide out with one hand and be used with one hand with some practice. When you slide the keyboard out, the screen automagically goes to landscape mode.

You can scroll through and select on the internet or forums with the hard keyboard using the page up, down, left, right, enter and back keys. I surf the net with the hard keyboard one handed all the time. Or you scroll the net on the screen or use the 5way.

This is first smartphone, (all others I used were Palm) with a slide out keyboard that I have used and I adapted to it quickly.

I would suggest that you go to a Sprint store and check the Touch Pro out.