Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    The seller said it had been barely used, (only an hour to check it out) but it has two pages of bookmarks in Blazer, and when I started Blazer I saw someone's PayPal balance. When I opened "My Centro" it said was already registered. Does anyone know if it will be easy to re-register in my name? The Centro seems okay so far, but I'm not leaving feedback until I know this wasn't stolen or something.
    Only your phone company can tell you for sure.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    If it's a GSM Centro (AT&T or unlocked), the phone provider only cares about the SIM card that goes into it. "My Centro" just registers the Centro with Palm, and they don't really care who uses it.

The seller probably forgot to (or didn't know how to) delete the bookmarks and Blazer cookies.
    "Yeah, he can talk. It's gettin' him to shut up that's the trick!"
    -Shrek
    Quote Originally Posted by emen8 View Post
    The seller said it had been barely used, (only an hour to check it out) but it has two pages of bookmarks in Blazer, and when I started Blazer I saw someone's PayPal balance. When I opened "My Centro" it said was already registered. Does anyone know if it will be easy to re-register in my name? The Centro seems okay so far, but I'm not leaving feedback until I know this wasn't stolen or something.
    Were you able to activate your number on it, or use the SIM card in it? If you are, don't worry about it. But I would do a hard reset so the phone will be as new. You don't know what could be hiding on that phone.

Also, if it's Sprint, or maybe Verizon as well, dial ##786# and it will show you the usage on the phone.
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RickMG View Post
    Were you able to activate your number on it, or use the SIM card in it? If you are, don't worry about it. But I would do a hard reset so the phone will be as new. You don't know what could be hiding on that phone.

Also, if it's Sprint, or maybe Verizon as well, dial ##786# and it will show you the usage on the phone.
    Good advice. It works perfectly with my SIM. And I'm on AT&T. Thanks for the advice.
    When you are in the phone mode you can press #*786 and the press the green button. It will give you the Life Timer (minutes). That's the total minutes the the phone has been used.
    Florida Tony
    GSM: Treo 270 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 680 > Centro > iPhone 3G S
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    Something similar happened to me, except I'm on Sprint, which doesn't use SIM cards. I bought my dad a phone from eBay. When I got it, I turned it on and it connected to Sprint. I thought it wouldn't do that if the previous owner cancelled the connection. The address book was full as if someone was still using it.

I called up Sprint and they did the IMEI swap. They had me on hold for a while telling me they had a "problem", but eventually they did it. I'm not sure how they figured out it wasn't stolen/lost since it seemed to still connect on the previous owner's connection.
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    The Centro works fine as a phone. The seller didn't include the USB sync cable, so I'm waiting for that to arrive. When it does, I'll do a hard reset, install the software from the CD, and see if everything works well.

The seller is anxious for me to leave feedback so he gets his funds released from PayPal. It's too bad he didn't include the sync cable and that he lied to me about only using the device for less than an hour, because now I don't trust him and he'll have to wait until I've fully tested it out. In addition to the bookmarks in Blazer, there are e-mails from June & October in Xpress mail.

I have a further question: since the seller used Xpress mail already, will I be able to register and use it myself after I do the hard reset?
    You don't need to wait to do a hard reset. You won't loose any programs that came with the phone by hard reseting, you'll just loose anything that the old owner put on there. After you hard reset, make sure you have a micro SD card in and download NV Backup and always keep your phone backed up.

As for why a phone could be loaded with bookmarks and contacts could easily be that someone had them beamed, synced or bluetoothed over the day they got the phone, doesn't make it 'used'. I have my carrier move everything over whenever I go to a different phone.
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    What I'm worried about is the registration key for programs like Documents to Go. Can I be sure I'll be able to use programs from the CD that require registration?
    Last edited by emen8; 11/15/2008 at 12:10 PM. Reason: corrected typo
    The seller is anxious for me to leave feedback so he gets his funds released from PayPal.

...since the seller used Xpress mail already, will I be able to register and use it myself after I do the hard reset?
    First off PayPal doesn't hold funds until feedback is left. He's pulling your leg again.

Secondly most people use VersaMail unless it is a business eMail account. Someone else using Xpress before you doesn't effect you. A hard reset starts the phone over as if it was NEVER USED.

You do know you need a AT&T Data plan to use eMail.
    Florida Tony
    GSM: Treo 270 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 680 > Centro > iPhone 3G S
    What I'm worried about is the registration key for programs like Documents to Go. Can I be sure I'll be able to use programs from the CD that require registration?
    I thought you had the CD and only were missing the hotsync cord. Either way, I'd hard reset before you load any of your information or you're going to have to enter it all twice.

And like floridatony said, don't worry about leaving feedback until after you're satisfied and never leave feedback before you get everything you paid for because you can't change it.
    When in doubt, install NVBAckup now and do a manual backup and then you can hard reset. If anything is needed later, you can always pull it from the original backup that you just did.

It is quite possible that the previous owner only used it for 10 minutes. It is not hard to install NVBackup and restore from a previous phone (either another Centro or another Treo like a 700p.)
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    I see that PayPal does hold funds until positive feedback is left, or 3 days after confirmed delivery. So the seller ought to have his funds now.

Yes, I have the CD and am only missing the cable. I was just worried that there might be something preventing me from registering software from the CD to a different HotSync ID. (If that's not a problem, what would prevent anyone from installing and registering apps from the CD, like Documents to Go?)

I've been using the Centro and everything seems to be working okay. What would be the risk if I don't hard reset? If it seems that
    You can install anything you want that's on the CD as they come with the phone free, so no need to stop anyone from installing them.

As for holding payment until positive feedback or after delivery, I don't know where you saw that, because I've always been paid immediately after payment was made on anything I've sold on ebay. It might not show up in my bank account for three days, but that's the same as when I buy something.
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    FYI, this is from the PayPal user agreement:

"10.4 eBay Item Hold. PayPal, in its sole discretion, may place a hold on a payment you receive for an eBay transaction when PayPal believes there may be a high level of risk associated with the transaction. If PayPal places a hold on your payment, it will show as "pending" in your PayPal Account.

a. Release of eBay item hold. PayPal will release the eBay item hold after 21 days unless you receive a Dispute, Claim, Chargeback, or Reversal on the transaction subject to the hold. PayPal may release the hold earlier if either of the following applies:

The buyer leaves positive feedback on eBay, or (ii) PayPal can confirm delivery. PayPal will confirm delivery if you use USPS, UPS or FedEx to ship the item and (i) use PayPal shipping labels, or (ii) upload tracking information to PayPal via the transaction details page. This applies to US domestic transactions only."

I have no way of knowing for sure if this section applies to my transaction, but that's what the seller told me.
    Makes you wonder why paypal would think there was a high level of risk? How is this guys feedback? Would you share his selling ID? I bought a Centro off ebay a year ago and never had any problem with the seller, everything was great, although it was new.
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    He's a fairly new eBay member, with only a few feedbacks (100% positive), which may explain the risk.

I've had no problems with the item so far, and I'm hopeful he really mailed out the sync cable late last week like he said. This Centro has almost 100 phone calls in the log from a few days in October, and e-mail from June and October. He said "I MAY HAVE USED IT FOR A TOTAL OF 1 HOUR JUST TO PLAY WITH THE COOL FEATURES." I don't see how that could be true, so I'm on my guard. If someone can explain how the phone log could have that many calls on it and still have been used for only an hour, maybe I'll stop thinking he lied to me.
    I see that PayPal does hold funds until positive feedback is left, or 3 days after confirmed delivery. So the seller ought to have his funds now.
    Where did you get this information. I've sold quite a few items on ebay, several very recently, and never had payment held for any reason. In fact, I won't ship until the payment has cleared.

PayPal doesn't know or care about feedback. They pay you immediately (unless payment is by e-check, in which case they hold while the check clears), but may take funds back if the buyer files a complaint.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    I got it from PayPal's legal agreement at this link: https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/we...a/USUA-outside. Section 10.4 (I quoted it in an earlier post this evening) is the part about an eBay Item Hold.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast