Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I dont know if you are aware but there is a great sale over at Palm's site.

The Palm GPS Navigator car kit is on sale for $69.99. This was $299 when it first came out and now you can get it for $70!! I had a 20% coupon and that lowered it even further to $55. So i bit on it! Shipping was free and fast too!

http://palm.imageg.net/graphics/prod...82v300x300.jpg

This says it supports the 680 and 700p, but i can confirm for 755p users that this will work with our phone. I even copied the entire memory card that came with it into my 8GB card and so i now have GPS virtually built in.

Just when i get to the point where i want to trade in my 755p for an 800w/850w, i always find more reason to hold on to my 755p until the new Palm phone comes out.

I'm loving the experience! Go try it!
    Does this need the car mount pictured to work? Or can it work as a handheld unit that you can carry around with you?
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Whats the part number and can you share your coupon?
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    Does this need the car mount pictured to work? Or can it work as a handheld unit that you can carry around with you?
    Yes you need the car mount. The GPS receiver is built in to the mount. I find that more convenient because its one less piece. The only time i really need GPS anyways is when i am in the car. For walking directions or something, there's always the Treo's Google Maps.
    I see that the Garmin Mobile XT is also on sale for $90 more. I know absolutely nothing about either of these. What is the difference in these 2 devices, and why do people prefer Tom Tom over Garmin or vice versa?

Thanks!
    bk
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by krazman View Post
    I see that the Garmin Mobile XT is also on sale for $90 more. I know absolutely nothing about either of these. What is the difference in these 2 devices, and why do people prefer Tom Tom over Garmin or vice versa?

Thanks!
    bk
    I think the main difference will be that the Garmin Mobile XT, you can carry around with you because the receiver is small and separate. It connects to your phone thru bluetooth though so your BT headset may be useless if you use your phone as GPS.

This one, the receiver is on the car mount so you cant carry it with you. I am still able to use my BT stereo headset though while using this.

Of course the former is more expensive.

As to the difference between Garmin and TomTom, i don't know.
    Thanks bulls96 for your descriptions.

Where might one acquire a 20% discount coupon?????
    just google palm 20% coupon and you will find it.

oh and tomtom has abandoned the Navigator series and has not come out with a map update in 2 years.

So if up to date maps are a necesity then garmin would be the choice for you.

I myself haven't gone the Garmin route because my bluetooth connection is for streaming music and answering calls via my stereo.
    Last edited by OLD_HATCH; 11/10/2008 at 03:50 PM.
    Ive been using the "Navibe GB735 Bluetooth GPS" since my 650p and love it. Great battery Life, very small - pretty much just lives in my breifcase/bag.

I also have a car mount - but its signal acquisition time sucks in comparison. But its handy when needing to be on the phone and TomTom.

the Bluetooth is also for my Golf GPS software as well. not an option with the car mount.
    Think the devise will work with a Centro? I see you have a Centro as your avatar.
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by RickMG View Post
    Think the devise will work with a Centro? I see you have a Centro as your avatar.

It may work but the mount is molded after the Treo. There may be sturdiness issues with a Centro.
    It might work if there is a hard case on the centro.

I'll post when I get it to see if it works with a Centro
    There are alot of things on sale at Palm... The Palm cradle kit is $29 and with the coupon makes it $23 and change. All orders over $49 are shipped free as well.

25OFF gets you $25 off of $100 purchase
    PLMREG gets you 20% off entire purchase if your less then that

Sprint PCS user since 1999

-=-=-
    Palm IIIC -> Palm M100 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700P -> Treo 755P
    Do I count as a Palm addict if I still have my original Palm IIIC?
    -=-=-
    Praise is what I do...
    Nice Christmas gifts
    I too ordered this for my 700p and i'm awaiting arrival. I'll post a review once I test it out. Also, for coupons check out: retailmenot.com. It's almost always updated with new coupon codes and I used one for the palm store as well.
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    In a nutshell, the Garmin GPS software "officially" supports the Centro and the 755p whereas the TomTom solution is an older piece of software (released in 2006, IIRC) and only "officially" supports the 700p and 680. Not a big deal but important worth mentioning.

Also, the Garmin package should have considerably newer/updated basemaps. I had the original TomTom6 package from Palm and purchased the map upgrade DVD from TomTom and even with that it still was a bit off and failed to display some newer neighborhoods near me. But a standalone Garmin Nuvi 200 purchased last year was totally up to date.

Also, TomTom uses TeleAtlas as their map data provider whereas Garmin uses Navteq. In general TeleAtlas seems to hold a slight edge amongst users who have tried both but Garmin has traditionally been pretty aggressive with bringing out the latest map updates for their units.

Me personally...I'd skip the "Palm as a GPS solution" entirely (screen is too small & too many wires/chargers/brackets to deal with) and just go with a basic little standalone GPS unit for navigation purposes. Aside from contact list integration and a few other small touches like that, there's really no compelling reason to try to make poor ol' Garnet strain under pulling triple duty for a PDA/phone/GPS system.

You can get a solid little standalone GPS unit now for $100ish or even less if you shop around. I am certain Black Friday will bring a ton of good GPS unit deals as well.
    Pilot 1000-->Pilot 5000-->PalmPilot Pro-->IIIe-->Vx-->m505-->T|T-->T|T2-->T|C-->T|T3-->T|T5-->TX-->Verizon Treo 700P-->Verizon Treo 755p-->Verizon Motorola Droid + Verizon Centro--> Verizon Motorola Droid X + Palm TX-->Verizon Droid Bionic + Palm TX
    I can't disagree with you more. I brought Tom Tom on a 2 month trip to Europe. It was a life saver, not only in the car I bought 330ci in Germany, but on foot, on bike. The screen is not hard to see at all.

Tom Tom on the 650 saved 1000 fights and a lot of stress and anguish, and it was always there. I have a stand alone Magellan which I never use.

While the Tom Tom was not always perfect,(drove through the middle of someone's farm in France) I don't think discounting the usefulness of GPS on your phone, any maker, is justified.
    cglaguna - if you're going to be driving through the middle of farms, maybe you should have purchased a 330Xi!!!!
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    So has anyone tested the TomTom with the Centro? I'm dieing to know, please...

I know it's designed for the LARGER Treo 680/7xx, but just checking.
    TomTom works just fine with the Centro and is actually faster than the 700p and 755.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast