Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Global Posts
    221 Global Posts
    I was having problems with resets while using the navigator software. Safeguard identified "Start" (tomtom navigator) as the cause about 95% of the time. I downloaded and installed the Treo 680 patch and have had zero resets today. I've started and stopped Navigator multiple times with phone in and out of the cradle with zero resets. It did take the unit about 15 minutes to obtain a valid GPS signal the first time I used it after I installed the patch but not since.
    Sam Martin - Paris,TX
    Palm Pre(v.1.4.1.1) - Sprint - Standard Battery - Touchstone -Motorola HT 820 - Motorokr S9-HD - Jabra BT8040 - Jabra BT530 - Jawbone Icon - Jabra Cruiser Bluetooth Speakerphone
    I didn't know about the patch (would it work on a 755p). Too late now as it's on it's way back to Palm.
    Global Posts
    221 Global Posts
    If I had it to do over again I would have probably ordered the version of Naviagator with the Garmin software just so I could get more current maps. I don't think TOMTOM is providing new maps for the Navigator series.
    Sam Martin - Paris,TX
    Palm Pre(v.1.4.1.1) - Sprint - Standard Battery - Touchstone -Motorola HT 820 - Motorokr S9-HD - Jabra BT8040 - Jabra BT530 - Jawbone Icon - Jabra Cruiser Bluetooth Speakerphone
    Quote Originally Posted by OLD_HATCH View Post
    just google palm 20% coupon and you will find it.

oh and tomtom has abandoned the Navigator series and has not come out with a map update in 2 years.

So if up to date maps are a necesity then garmin would be the choice for you.

I myself haven't gone the Garmin route because my bluetooth connection is for streaming music and answering calls via my stereo.
    I've used the Palm Navigator by TomTom with my 755p for months and am happy, although I cannot get TomTom Home to recognize the "device." I copied the TomTom software on their 1 gb SD card to a 4GB class 6 SD HC card and put the card into a card reader, but TomTom Home does not recognize it.
    You have to use the old version of Tomtom Home.

The last release will not recognize the card.
  7.    #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by ctmlaw View Post
    I've used the Palm Navigator by TomTom with my 755p for months and am happy, although I cannot get TomTom Home to recognize the "device." I copied the TomTom software on their 1 gb SD card to a 4GB class 6 SD HC card and put the card into a card reader, but TomTom Home does not recognize it.
    I do not have this problem as well. Go with the software that came with the CD and you will be fine.

Unfortunately like others have posted, the map has not been updated. Although it is still plenty of maps by anyone's standards (especially for those who have not used GPS before) and it still is very accurate, there are some dead spots when i go to places, mostly new places.

The only update i have been able to put on the card thru the tomtom software are the POI retail shops update and one more thiong i cannot remember as of this writing.

Still WELL WORTH the $55 i paid for it
    You have to use the old version of Tomtom Home.

The last release will not recognize the card.
    Where can you get the older version?

Tim
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    Its either the version that came on the cd or you could dowload it from their site. You have to look for pda version I think.
    Global Posts
    221 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sambo41 View Post
    I was having problems with resets while using the navigator software. Safeguard identified "Start" (tomtom navigator) as the cause about 95% of the time. I downloaded and installed the Treo 680 patch and have had zero resets today. I've started and stopped Navigator multiple times with phone in and out of the cradle with zero resets. It did take the unit about 15 minutes to obtain a valid GPS signal the first time I used it after I installed the patch but not since.
    I began having resets again that appeared random. I disabled Wireless Data and the resets stopped. The program is now very stable. Also the map version on the SD Card that came with my gps cradle was USA & Canada v.6.35. Version 6.65 was on the CD and installed with no problems.
    Sam Martin - Paris,TX
    I got mine yesterday and it's working as well as expected. The maps are fine for my area and the performance is pretty good IMHO as far as the GPS goes.

The speaker phone though is crap. I tried to leave a voice mail for a coworker and the v-mail system never heard my voice, any ideas?
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    Is there a way to update the maps in the Tom Tom solution?

Im assuming that the Garmin solution on Palm's site is the one you guys are referring to that you can walk with? How does that work... is the reciever in the SD card or, does it do via the data connection?

Have you guys had any luck with either of these units, being able to copy the info on the cards to your other cards so as not to have to switch cards all the time?

Thanks!
    ONE can be spelled as NEO.
    There is no spoon.
  13.    #53  
    Quote Originally Posted by Hdhntr23 View Post
    Is there a way to update the maps in the Tom Tom solution?

Im assuming that the Garmin solution on Palm's site is the one you guys are referring to that you can walk with? How does that work... is the reciever in the SD card or, does it do via the data connection?

Have you guys had any luck with either of these units, being able to copy the info on the cards to your other cards so as not to have to switch cards all the time?

Thanks!
    UNfortunately TOm Tom has stopped updating these maps for a while now but they are still pretty useful and accurate. I probably get empty maps just 10% of the time.
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    I got one this GPS for my 755p. All the software loaded fine on the treo but when i put the treo in the cradle a blue light comes on, under the GPS symbol, for only a second and then goes off. The screen tells me there is no GPS devise connected. Any ideas of what s happening?
  15.    #55  
    Quote Originally Posted by davez57 View Post
    I got one this GPS for my 755p. All the software loaded fine on the treo but when i put the treo in the cradle a blue light comes on, under the GPS symbol, for only a second and then goes off. The screen tells me there is no GPS devise connected. Any ideas of what s happening?

tRY unplugging the cradle for a minute then put it back in.
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bulls96 View Post
    tRY unplugging the cradle for a minute then put it back in.
    Tried that and light comes on for only a second and then turns off. It does this when the phone is in the cradle and with no phone in the cradle. Could it be problem with the cradle?
    did it install the carkit application on the Treo?
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    did it install the carkit application on the Treo?
    That was the problem. Installed the carkit app and it is now working.
    Thanks for the help.
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    After using this thing for a few days it is buggy. Half the time it just sits there with the message "no GPS connected." It seems to be random. I went as far as to do a hard reset and load only the Navigator and GPScarkit software and still had the same results.

The frustration is that it wil only connect to the "GPS devise" about half the time when the treo is put in the cradle. Works great when it does work.

I'll be calling palm on tomorrow to send it back unless someone has a solution.
    Found the problem. Seems the 1gb card TomTom uses is very slow. I had to try a couple of different readers before it would work without timing out. I ended up using the built in reader in my Aspire One. I now have the TomTom softare on my 8GB SHDC card.

I am running software 6.030 and map version 665.1293. Does anyone know if those are the most up to date. I tried to do an online update using the TomTom Home but it only wanted to update a phone list.

Hey Bulls,

I just got mine today for my 700P.

What did you do to copy the 1GB TomTom card? I have tried copying it to my laptop and straight to my 8GB SDHC card and I keep getting some kind of read error.

Did you install the sofware first using the 1GB Card?

Did you copy everything or just some of the files

Cheers
    Wizard83

Quote Originally Posted by bulls96 View Post
    I dont know if you are aware but there is a great sale over at Palm's site.

The Palm GPS Navigator car kit is on sale for $69.99. This was $299 when it first came out and now you can get it for $70!! I had a 20% coupon and that lowered it even further to $55. So i bit on it! Shipping was free and fast too!

[
    This says it supports the 680 and 700p, but i can confirm for 755p users that this will work with our phone. I even copied the entire memory card that came with it into my 8GB card and so i now have GPS virtually built in.

Just when i get to the point where i want to trade in my 755p for an 800w/850w, i always find more reason to hold on to my 755p until the new Palm phone comes out.

I'm loving the experience! Go try it!
    Last edited by wizard83; 12/11/2008 at 10:18 PM.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast