Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Mine just came into today and I had a few min. to test it out with my 700p. Seems to work great, although a little slow to get a fix on the GPS (to be expected though). I actually have a standalone TomTom GPS One unit, but wanted to combine GPS into my phone and this was the perfect solution. I can now make hands free calls and have GPS in one device. I hate bluetooth headsets, which is another reason I went this route. As for the device itself, I'll have to do some more testing and compare it with my TomTom One unit, but one thing I did notice is that the speaker on this thing is REALLY loud. I had to turn it down to 10% volume level and it was still loud. Anybody else experiencing this? Other than the volume, the 700p fits nice and snug and the dash/window mounting bracket is really nice (made in Germany!). I'm comparing it to my other TomTom unit which would fall off the windshield or dashboard every time I went for a drive. The suction cup and mounting bracket is poorly designed. The Palm one is definitely a major improvement. More to follow...
    FYI, MobileXT's new version has Google Local integrated so it's a big plus for smartphones with data connectivity. Definitely more up to date than doing local searches on loaded maps. From my experience, it actually searches faster using google local. The caveat is you have to have a signal.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    I actually got mine today. havent used it yet but so far its prety nice and even cones with a card reader. The base is impressive as far as adjustability. It seems pretty well built. I'll report back after I use it.

As far as the centro its very doable. All you need to do it do add a pice of foam or rubber to the top clamping arm and you are good to go. I did this so my wife could use it with her centro.

*edit*

the gps kit runs a prc file on the Treos that let you select if it automaticly pics up or not. This file when installed on a Sprint Centro says its incompatible.

*edit*
    Last edited by OLD_HATCH; 11/13/2008 at 09:26 PM.
    Global Posts
    221 Global Posts
    I just ordered a Palm GPS Navigator Car Kit from my 755p, too, for $55.99 from Palm.com using the 20% off coupon code BETA20. The code works for all Palm accessories plus you get free shipping for orders over $45.
    Sam Martin - Paris,TX
    Palm Pre(v.1.4.1.1) - Sprint - Standard Battery - Touchstone -Motorola HT 820 - Motorokr S9-HD - Jabra BT8040 - Jabra BT530 - Jawbone Icon - Jabra Cruiser Bluetooth Speakerphone
    Quote Originally Posted by Sambo41 View Post
    I just ordered a Palm GPS Navigator Car Kit from my 755p, too, for $55.99 from Palm.com using the 20% off coupon code BETA20. The code works for all Palm accessories plus you get free shipping for orders over $45.

how do you know that cradle will fit the 755p?:

"Product Details
    Model Number:3262NA

PalmŪ GPS Navigator Car Kit includes an integrated GPS and hands-free cradle, so you can get where you're going and talk along the way.

Compatible With:

Treo 680
    Treo 700p"
    Global Posts
    221 Global Posts
    Read the first post in this thread.
    Sam Martin - Paris,TX
    Palm Pre(v.1.4.1.1) - Sprint - Standard Battery - Touchstone -Motorola HT 820 - Motorokr S9-HD - Jabra BT8040 - Jabra BT530 - Jawbone Icon - Jabra Cruiser Bluetooth Speakerphone
    Cause I put my 755 in it and it works.

No really the 680 and 755 are the same size
    Global Posts
    221 Global Posts
    Does the 755p work with the TomTom Navigator 6 software right out of the box or must you apply the Palm Treo 680 patch to get it to work?
    Sam Martin - Paris,TX
  9.    #29  
    Does the 755p work with the TomTom Navigator 6 software right out of the box or must you apply the Palm Treo 680 patch to get it to work?
    It'll work out of the box.
    Global Posts
    221 Global Posts
    Thanks for the info.
    Sam Martin - Paris,TX
    Is it true that this GPS device will prevent me from using my Bluetooth headset or, more importantly, the Bluetooth speakerphone built in to my car? Here's the cryptic entry from the FAQ at palm.com.

When my Treo smartphone is connected to the Palm GPS Navigator Car Kit, pressing the Multi-Function button on my Bluetooth headset does not route the call to the headset.
    This is expected behavior when the Treo smartphone is paired with a Bluetooth headset and connected to the GPS Car Kit. Pressing the Multi-Function button on the headset will end the call.
    What is occurring is that the Bluetooth functionality on the smartphone is keeping track of the current Bluetooth status. This allows a smooth transition of audio to the Bluetooth headset in the event that the device is disconnected from the Car Kit during an active call.
    In order to route the call through the headset, the phone will need to be removed from the cradle. Audio will then transfer to the Bluetooth headset.

Huh? Is there a way to bypass the GPS's speakerphone so that I can use my car's (or my headset)?

EM
    I'm pretty sure you cannot use bluetooth while in the cradle. I havent tried yet BUT, from the way the cradle functions I highly doubt it.

When you first install the tomtom card it installs a "Gps Car kit" prc. Without that app on your Treo the gps or craldle will not work. Basicly this little program makes it so the treo uses the cradle the same way it would use a wired headset. (also allows you to select whether you want to auto answer while in cralde)

I have tomtom already which I use with a seidio gps cralde and it works just fine. The Palm cradle will not function without this prc installed as either gps or handsfree.
    Got it. I didn't realize a wired headset would override a bluetooth connection.

Another question: can the software be installed on two Treos? (i.e., mine and my wife's, so that she can use the GPS with hers, and I can use it with mine?) Or is there some 'activation' key that is only good once?

EM
  14.    #34  
    I have succeeded running a BT stereo headset thru Softick Audio Gateway while the Treo is on the cradle. However, the performance is rather shaky, stuttery, and unreliable that i actually just used the mounted speaker to listen to my podcasts.
    Global Posts
    221 Global Posts
    My Palm Navigator is working great. How do I connect to TOMTOM Home? Do I need to?
    Sam Martin - Paris,TX
  16.    #36  
    My Palm Navigator is working great. How do I connect to TOMTOM Home? Do I need to?
    Install the software on the CD that came with the kit. THen connect the memory card containing all the tomtom maps and files.
    Global Posts
    221 Global Posts
    Thanks again. I've spent a couple of hours trying to get TOMTOM Home 2.4 to recognize the sd card. I uninstalled 2.4 and installed the version on the CD and it works.
    Sam Martin - Paris,TX
    Called for a RMA number to return this GPS to Palm. It started causing my 755p to reset EVERY time I put it in the GPS cradle and EVERY time I took it out. Also, the small screen was underwhelming to say the least. However, I did try to trick the unit in that I took wrong turns intentionally and the unit recovered and plotted a new course very quickly. For $56 it was a good deal if only it would have worked for me. Some software wasn't playing nicely with Navigator and I didn't want to take the time to debug the conflict. Palm was very nice about arranging the return.
  19.    #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by krazman View Post
    Called for a RMA number to return this GPS to Palm. It started causing my 755p to reset EVERY time I put it in the GPS cradle and EVERY time I took it out. Also, the small screen was underwhelming to say the least. However, I did try to trick the unit in that I took wrong turns intentionally and the unit recovered and plotted a new course very quickly. For $56 it was a good deal if only it would have worked for me. Some software wasn't playing nicely with Navigator and I didn't want to take the time to debug the conflict. Palm was very nice about arranging the return.
    Sad to hear that. Sounds like a software conflict. did you try hard resetting and installing just the GPS app?
    Quote Originally Posted by bulls96 View Post
    Sad to hear that. Sounds like a software conflict. did you try hard resetting and installing just the GPS app?
    Didn't do the hard reset. I think it was the GPS phone app that was causing the conflict. It didn't self install. I didn't have any problem until I manually installed it. It seemed like it wouldn't release the phone when I closed the Navigator. Resets started whenever SnapperMail or 4cast would do their scheduled updates if I didn't do a soft reset after closing Navigator. By the time I bailed on the GPS app, it would reset every time I plugged any kind of cradle or power cord (usb or charger) into the 755p.

Since this app was more of a toy than a necessity, I uninstalled and returned the GPS. Also, the lack of portability out of the car finallized my decision (even though I knew this at purchase).

For the record, I haven't had a reset of any kind since uninstalling.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast