1.    #1  
    On the Sprint Website:
    http://nextelonline.nextel.com/NASAp...andSmartphones

They have both Palm Centro, 'Original Model Closeout' for $49.99, and 'New Model' for $79.99. As far as I can tell, they just changed the colors... is there any other reason to get the 'New Model'?
    Yes, they doubled the memory to about 128 MB from our 70 MB. The "finish" on the new device is a rubberized feel (not shiny, slippery). And from what I gather, the firmware is a slightly newer version (1.08) with Facebook and the new GoogleMaps included.
    Hear more talk about my Centro and other industry news, go to thecellphonejunkie.com for a great weekly cell & smartphone podcast.
  3.    #3  
    Wow, guess i've been out of the loop.

When did this happen?
    It was announced a few weeks ago on the Palm blog. Then last week Palm quietly dropped the existing three Sprint phones from their store. I would go for the extra memory for the $30. But I sorely will miss the red color!
    Hear more talk about my Centro and other industry news, go to thecellphonejunkie.com for a great weekly cell & smartphone podcast.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by strobeyprobey View Post
    But I sorely will miss the red color!
    No kidding. Just looking at the options on the Palm website, the 'Vibrant Rose' doesn't quite measure up. Wah!

What's weird though is the Palm website lists three colors for Sprint:
    http://www.palm.com/us/products/smar...tro/index.html

But the Sprint website only lists Olive Green and Vibrant Rose:
    http://nextelonline.nextel.com/NASAp...andSmartphones

Did they not upgrade the black? Palm's specs page implies they did: http://www.palm.com/us/products/smar...tro/specs.html
    Yes, your are right they do show the black color. Maybe Sprint is waiting until the old Black model is cleared out to reduce confusing between the two black models.
  7.    #7  
    I think that's it.

Because if you go to the Palm Store, black is listed as 'Coming Soon' for Sprint
    Ah, I see that. Good catch!
    A non glossy black model is welcomed in my book.
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts

The Olive green and Vibrant rose Centro smartphones is now available in Sprint Stores.
    Using a Centro with free ActiveSync at http://www.TheMessageCenter.com
    Global Posts
    2,486 Global Posts
    The new centro also has soft sticky rubberized keyboard buttons. It is quite a different feel from the hard plastic buttons on the old model. Some may like it, some may not.

Personally I think it is nicer to type on the new rubberized buttons, but if you keep your phone in your pocket with no case, the buttons might tend to catch a little on clothing when you are moving around quickly. I didn't actually try it as the phone was bolted to the display, so this is just conjecture.
    I'm curious about the memory the "original" offers 128 MB with 64 dedicated to user storage, meaning 64mb is open for other use? The new model says 128 mb is dedicated to user storage.

So what's the difference?

Are they saying that the original model only has 64 mb available for users to utilize for personal programs and such - what happens to the other 64 mb?

I use a 4gb Micro card, and keep most of my programs on the card- just trying to figure out the difference in specs.

Cheers,
    Kim
    This PRE is MINE all MINE! But if you ask nice I might let you hold it!
    Global Posts
    2,486 Global Posts
    There's memory for the ROM and memory that the user can use. The old one had 64MB for user. The new one has 128MB for user. You don't really have access to the other memory so just ignore it.
    Quote Originally Posted by He123321 View Post
    A non glossy black model is welcomed in my book.
    I agree. While I'm all for upgrades, those colors are atrocious. How can you not offer black?

sleepy
    Lovin' my Centro...keeping an eye on the Pre.

The road of life is rocky, and you may stumble too. So while you point your finger, someone else is judging you. -- Bob Marley
    Quote Originally Posted by strobeyprobey View Post
    Yes, they doubled the memory to about 128 MB from our 70 MB. The "finish" on the new device is a rubberized feel (not shiny, slippery). And from what I gather, the firmware is a slightly newer version (1.08) with Facebook and the new GoogleMaps included.
    IMO these are great improvements.
    I don't like the shinny finish and the fact that is slippery (but I use egrips)
    Good Luck
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    Global Posts
    2,486 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sleepyEDB View Post
    I agree. While I'm all for upgrades, those colors are atrocious. How can you not offer black?
    They have the new style black. They are just waiting for the old-style black to clear out to avoid any confusion.