View Poll Results: How long have you been regularly using your Treo 680?

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • long time... over one year

51 75.00%
  • about one year

7 10.29%
  • a few months

10 14.71%
  • failed on me

0 0%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Aug., 2007. I upgraded to v2.11 in Jan., 2008. It replaced an M105 and a Nokia 5160i. I'm pretty happy with it. I'd like to have WiFi, but . . . .
    Last edited by pvman; 10/27/2009 at 12:35 AM. Reason: Left something out
    I've had my second 680 for a couple of months now. I sold my first one because i didn't know anything about the update and the battery life sucked big time for my everyday use.

I also bought the wifey a crimson 680 along with my graphite. These are used 680s by the way
    Quote Originally Posted by jkchua View Post
    I battery life sucked big time for my everyday use.

There are many solutions to the battery life issue. Note that you can solve the battery issue in part because there are interchangeable pop out batteries. Can't do that with everything.

Easiest solution: The Seidio 1600 mhz or various 3rd party batteries on ebay for 2100 mhz or 2400 mhz. The Sedio is pricier and not as powerful, BUT it fits in the standard slot and does not require a different door, thus retaining the slimline aspect of the Treo. On a typical day, this is fine for me. If I'm away for a day (but not overnight) traveling, I pop an extra battery in my pocket just in case, a light, low tech solution. Of if you're really in need of power--the big 2100 and 2400 mhz on Ebay are easy to get and rather inexpensive too. For the cheapest solution, you can get another battery just like the OEM on ebay for dirt cheap and just carry it in your pocket as noted.

High tech--a lot of pen devices are around. Some will recharge themselves with USB. Others work on batteries to give you an emergency charger. The pen/usb types are pricier and ironically less useful since they can only be recharged with a USB connection. SO they will give you that one use--but then they're done until you get to a computer. The battery type can be used over and again by just popping in more batteries.
    If it doesn't have a slot for SDHC--I don't want it. Period.
    Thanks, luckily got an extra oem battery for free from the cellphone shop plus the software updater, which at first i didn't know nothing of, helped a bit for battery life.

I think i'll be sticking with this 680 'till it dies on me. I'll be having another used 680 from my uncle who doesn't use it anymore and it'll be arriving this month.. Three 680's in the house!
    Last edited by jkchua; 11/03/2009 at 08:13 PM. Reason: added extra comment
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    My Treo 680 is coming up to it's 2nd birthday this weekend. It's holding up well. A couple of months ago I gave it a new housing because it had had a few serious falls on concrete. In spite of not being in a case it only sustained cosmetic damage. It now looks new and I am very happy with it.

Non-tech people still go 'Wow, a real keyboard like the Blackberry and a touch screen like the iPhone!' I just smile.

Just to show you that I am not a luddite I purchased an HTC Hero. It complements the Treo really well. I can't imagine anything currently on the market replacing my Treo and have recently purchased a new one on eBay for a bargain price.

So two years on I still love it.
    My original one was bought within in a year of its debut, but not only am I not upgrading-- I now have three. First, I got a backup on ebay for $125 and shipping last year. Plus I get to keep a separate card filled with different MP3s in it and sometimes use it just as an MP3 player. Then I happened to see a used one on eBay for $65 including shipping. Couldn't resist. Card #3 goes there. And it is low cost backup, too for travel.

I'm quite content for the moment. It does the three things I need it for most--MP3s, ebooks, phone--very well. I do yearn for wi-fi. Don't care much about the supposedly cool touch screens that are coming out.

Eventually it will fall into obsolescence but that time is not quite yet. I like that Nexus Droid has backlighting, swappable batteries and space for SD cards. Those were three make or break issues for me. But its time is not yet now.
    If it doesn't have a slot for SDHC--I don't want it. Period.
    Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
    Had my Treo 680 for about 15 months now. Bought it second hand. It is my work phone and use it with T-Mobile. I do not have a Data Plan issued from work I use Softick PPP for transfering E-mails on and off when at my desk. T-Mobile has great coverage where I work but really poor to none where I live. So work issued me a Blackberry 9700 because it has UMA which allows me to use my home WiFi to boost my signal. It really does work well too.

I do not use the 680 as much now though I like the 680 a lot. The PIM software is great and everything just works, really well. I wish it would have WiFi. The main reason I don't use it is because of coverage or lack of when at home. But that's not the phone's fault. T-Mobile, ATT, and Sprint have little to no coverage where I live.
    I've been a Palm OS user since 2003, with a Tungsten T3 PDA as my first device. The T3 started out as a gadget, but when Bluetooth-paired with my Sony Ericsson GSM phone, sync'd with Outlook, and outfitted with every manner of useful productivity software, it became my planner, my memory, and a repository for every bit of information I might ever need to hang onto. I loved how Palm innovated at that time: The T3 was a smart-looking device, and the slider mechanism for making the large screen pocketable was pure genius, IMO. With the T3/GSM combo, I became hooked on SMS and mobile email. I used the T3 from 2003-2005.

Then convergence and Crackberries became the rage, and I had to sacrifice large screen and Graffiti for a small square screen and chicklet keys. I adjusted and adopted though, and shelved the T3 in favor of my first Treo, a Sprint-model 700P, which was quickly upgraded to a 755P. I loathed the smaller screen but loved the thumb keyboard, so it was a compromise of sorts. I grew my collection of useful Palm OS apps, with KeySuite and SplashWallet becoming indispensable. I used these Treos between 2005 and 2007.

Shortly after my triplets were born, I decided I needed a pocketable camera more than pocketable PDA. I used S-E candy bar camera phones in 2008 and 2009, but found myself using a digital SLR much more than the phone for pics of the kids. Meanwhile, small-screen phones make lousy PDAs.

Earlier this year, I returned to Palm OS via a Treo 680 that I acquired in 2007, but never used. Happiness! Everything was just as I remembered it, and I was back with Palm OS 5, an elegantly simple OS that just works. I was pleased to find out that, by use of a few tricks, I could bluetooth-sync the 680 with (32-bit) Outlook 2010 on a laptop running 64-bit Windows 7 and HotSync v.7.0.2. Most of the old Palm apps that were most important to me are still available, supported, and able to be updated. KeySuite, SplashWallet, and pTunes latest (or last) versions are in heavy rotation, every day. Just this week, because of info found here, I've updated the 680 with a custom (lean) ROM, and learned that the 680 can use a 8GB SDHC card with no problems. More happiness!

Interesting to me that I seem to have zero interest in WebOS. Palm OS is as comfortable to me as an old pair of blue jeans.

Also interesting to me that I can look through the PIM data and files on the 680, and see stuff that I can trace all the way back to my Tungsten T3. A good chunk of my life, my interests, my friends & contacts have survived syncing from Windows 2000 to Windows 7; from Outlook 2000 to 2010; and from Tungsten to Treo.

I can see myself using this phone for as long as it holds up, and technology permits. I'll buy a new 680 from eBay as a backup, and I've noticed that they've held their value pretty well -- NIB items are going for $150-200 even in 2010.

Seems like the Treo line was Palm's last/best innovation before they lost their way and folded. Palm could have followed Apple's business model and innovated unto a certain sustainable market share, but they sold their smartphone soul. Did the same with the Foleo (arguably the first netbook) by conceiving it, then cancelling it three months later.
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dr.who View Post
    My Treo 680 is coming up to it's 2nd birthday this weekend. It's holding up well. A couple of months ago I gave it a new housing because it had had a few serious falls on concrete. In spite of not being in a case it only sustained cosmetic damage. It now looks new and I am very happy with it.

Non-tech people still go 'Wow, a real keyboard like the Blackberry and a touch screen like the iPhone!' I just smile.

Just to show you that I am not a luddite I purchased an HTC Hero. It complements the Treo really well. I can't imagine anything currently on the market replacing my Treo and have recently purchased a new one on eBay for a bargain price.

So two years on I still love it.
    So, how do you like the new shell? Care to divulge where you purchased it? I, too, have dropped mine a few too many times.
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pvman View Post
    So, how do you like the new shell? Care to divulge where you purchased it? I, too, have dropped mine a few too many times.
    Still looks really good with the new shell. I got it off eBay.
    Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
    Last November I switched back to my 680 from the work issued Blackberry 9700. Last week my Treo 680 screen went out on me. The rest of the phone appears to work but the screen will not light up. I tried leaving the battery out over night and a hard reset but neither one got the screen going. So at this point I am back to the Blackberry 9700. I may hit eBay for another 680 or look into a Centro for a slightly smaller form factor.

But for my personal cell phone I bought a Sprint Treo 755P for $1.00 of eBay and run it on BoostMobile for their $50 unlimited plan. Works great only thing is I need to get a new battery for the phone. For what I paid for the phone that's a minor thing.
    Since Jan 07. Still my primary phone. The housing is all battered and bruised, but it's still marching along like a warrior. Might eventually yield its place to a Pre 3. Trying to get hold of one now.
    Sadly my Treo's comm chip (according to a local Palm technician) burned out, so now it's just sitting on my nightstand gathering dust. Replacing it costs just about as much as getting a new/old Treo 680, so now what?

I just ordered a Pre 2 off eBay, so that should tide me over until the next best thing (with my Pre- ?). Either that, or I migrate to Android (please no).
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    Have you checked on ebay to see what one would cost, the phone I mean, not the comm chip?
    Terry
    Quote Originally Posted by sara.ramli View Post
    Since Jan 07. Still my primary phone. The housing is all battered and bruised, but it's still marching along like a warrior. Might eventually yield its place to a Pre 3. Trying to get hold of one now.
    Only few more days with my 680. Getting my Pre 3 next week.

Mixed feelings. Difficult to explain.
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Only few more days with my 680. Getting my Pre 3 next week.

Mixed feelings. Difficult to explain.
    How's that going to work out for you now that HP's discontinued the Pre, and future WebOS development?

i.e., how does that affect how you would use the device and how long you will continue to use it before you change again? BTW, how long have you had the 680?

I still have my 680. To be honest, when it dies I probably won't get another SmartPhone . Call me a ludite, but the newer ones just don't seem to measure up (execept the Pre). I'm not a social networking person, so a lot of the features I depended on Palm OS for have not been focused on very well with newer phones (calendaring, address book, sync with MS Outlook, etc.). Not interested in putting my personal information, nor those of my contacts, on "the cloud".

So, I'm interested in how you plan to use your Pre 3 and how present conditions at Hewlett-Packard will affect you moving into the future.
    How's that going to work out for you now that HP's discontinued the Pre, and future WebOS development?

i.e., how does that affect how you would use the device and how long you will continue to use it before you change again? BTW, how long have you had the 680?

I still have my 680. To be honest, when it dies I probably won't get another SmartPhone . Call me a ludite, but the newer ones just don't seem to measure up (execept the Pre). I'm not a social networking person, so a lot of the features I depended on Palm OS for have not been focused on very well with newer phones (calendaring, address book, sync with MS Outlook, etc.). Not interested in putting my personal information, nor those of my contacts, on "the cloud".

So, I'm interested in how you plan to use your Pre 3 and how present conditions at Hewlett-Packard will affect you moving into the future.
    Well for one, officially it is just the hardware that has been discontinued and not webOS development.

I have had my 680 for about four and a half years now (got it in Jan 2007) and except for the hardware giving way, I wouldn't have replaced it. I never felt the OS was lagging in any terms.

I understand you being skeptical about putting your data on the cloud, but I am okay with that idea personally. Well one way or the other, it has become an unavoidable option as far as I am concerned. Out of curiosity, I am asking this - you dont use any web email services (like gmail, yahoo mail, etc) at all?

As far as using my webOS devices (yes I got a touchpad as well)is concerned, I was learning Enyo for about 3-4 months, hoping to become an app developer in due time, before HP dropped the bombshell. Now while I am reconsidering that choice, my relationship with Palm has been long and I just feel obliged to do whatever I can, to help the OS and the community thrive, before somebody gives it a lifeline.

Am a developer by profession, and right now, I am writing a tool to migrate my SMS messages to my Pre 3 and would put that tool up in here, for others who would be interested. I know at least one another person in the forum is interested in this.

After this, I am looking at creating a few patches that the community seeks. Might develop an app and release it in the app catalog some day, but am not sure about that.

And btw, I have been using my Pre 3 for the past few days and you just have to experience it, to understand the sheer genius of webOs. You wouldn't regret your choice. Of course, guilt pangs when I see my 680 lying around. Tough man.
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Well for one, officially it is just the hardware that has been discontinued and not webOS development.
    Wow! That's really good to know. So, I wonder how long before it finds a home? Do you think HP's out of the phone market for good? Or do you think they will shop it around to another H/W manufactuer (as Goolge has done)? What are you thougths about future WebOS tablets?

My feeling is that the tablets were well recieved by reviewers and the press in general. The biggest complaint everyone had was, "No Apps." What can be done to woo developers like yourself to a platform that may not generate them any significant revenue? Without apps, a platform won't survive its 12 to 18 month life cycle. And without apps, you won't get new versions of a platform.

I understand you being skeptical about putting your data on the cloud, but I am okay with that idea personally. Well one way or the other, it has become an unavoidable option as far as I am concerned. Out of curiosity, I am asking this - you dont use any web email services (like gmail, yahoo mail, etc) at all?
    Acutally, no. Getting e-mail on my phone has never been a big desire of mine. Besides, I don't get much personal e-mail. Although I get about 20-30 messages a day, over 90% are either spam or advertisements from businesses I've patronized in the past. Not worth being constantly bothered with throughout the day. In addition, I also carry my companies Blackberry (I hate that thing) and have to deal with work e-mail most of the day, anyway.

Most of my family is not computer literate, so if they want to contact me, they will call me.
    Wow! That's really good to know. So, I wonder how long before it finds a home? Do you think HP's out of the phone market for good? Or do you think they will shop it around to another H/W manufactuer (as Goolge has done)? What are you thougths about future WebOS tablets?
    Not good at guessing. Just hoping that it gets a good home where it gets all the nutrition to grow and not just being put on lifeline. The developer forum on the palm website, was buzzing with activity a couple of months ago. Disheartening to see it relatively silent these days.

My feeling is that the tablets were well recieved by reviewers and the press in general. The biggest complaint everyone had was, "No Apps." What can be done to woo developers like yourself to a platform that may not generate them any significant revenue? Without apps, a platform won't survive its 12 to 18 month life cycle. And without apps, you won't get new versions of a platform.
    Am not sure about everybody, but many developers like me, just have a passion for coding and can't just seem to stop doing it. I don't get to code anymore in my job, because I have become a senior and am expected only to 'guide' and 'mentor' [Things are different here in India, unlike in US, where one can start and retire as a developer, if he wants to]. So I keep spending most of my spare time in writing some sort of code or the other. As far as programming for webOS is concerned, earlier when we were expecting the platform to grow, I thought I could chime in, and contribute apps, helping both the community and myself with some monetary benefits. Now that the situation has changed, I am just doing what I can (with no monetary intentions) to help the community stick onto webOS, as long as it can. As a matter of fact, I created two patches today and posted it in the Homebrew Patches forum. As far as developing apps are concerned, there are still some points to be cleared by the webOS team as to when and whether I can start using the Enyo framework for developing phone apps.

Acutally, no. Getting e-mail on my phone has never been a big desire of mine. Besides, I don't get much personal e-mail. Although I get about 20-30 messages a day, over 90% are either spam or advertisements from businesses I've patronized in the past. Not worth being constantly bothered with throughout the day. In addition, I also carry my companies Blackberry (I hate that thing) and have to deal with work e-mail most of the day, anyway.

Most of my family is not computer literate, so if they want to contact me, they will call me.
    Yeah I agree. Right now you are forced to migrate your contacts to a "cloud" storage, before you could get it down to your device. But if this is the only thing stopping you, we can find a workaround. We should be able to export the contact information out of the 680 to a file and then import it directly to the Pre3. I can help you out with that.
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Am not sure about everybody, but many developers like me, just have a passion for coding and can't just seem to stop doing it. I don't get to code anymore in my job, because I have become a senior and am expected only to 'guide' and 'mentor' [Things are different here in India, unlike in US, where one can start and retire as a developer, if he wants to]. So I keep spending most of my spare time in writing some sort of code or the other. As far as programming for webOS is concerned, earlier when we were expecting the platform to grow, I thought I could chime in, and contribute apps, helping both the community and myself with some monetary benefits. Now that the situation has changed, I am just doing what I can (with no monetary intentions) to help the community stick onto webOS, as long as it can. As a matter of fact, I created two patches today and posted it in the Homebrew Patches forum. As far as developing apps are concerned, there are still some points to be cleared by the webOS team as to when and whether I can start using the Enyo framework for developing phone apps.
    Keep that passion going. I understand how you feel at work. Here is a little something that might keep the inspiration fueled:

Yeah I agree. Right now you are forced to migrate your contacts to a "cloud" storage, before you could get it down to your device. But if this is the only thing stopping you, we can find a workaround. We should be able to export the contact information out of the 680 to a file and then import it directly to the Pre3. I can help you out with that.
    No biggie. I currently hotsync to Outlook 2003 for memos/calendar/contacts/todos at work and Palm Desktop 6.2 at home. If I could get a Pre to hotsync to Outlook somehow, I figure I'm good.

I tell you, the one thing I'm going to miss with another phone (if non-WebOS) is how well Palm OS adhered to the PIM standards for calendaring and contacts. It seems everyone does it differently these days. Is my perception off on that? How well can one transition calendar events from Google Calendar, to Outlook, to you name it? Does everyone readily accept .ics, iCal, vCal or some other common exchange format? What about vCard? It was so cool when I just grabbed a whole category of contacts and bluetooth'ed them over to my wife's Samsung Impression. I suspect that feature is gone with other phones.

At this point, we're (at least, me) way off thread topic. As much as I welcome your reply, I probably won't respond in this thread, but I will read it. If I wish to continue the topic, I'll start a new thread.

Thanks for the info on WebOS development and your personal experiences with developing on that platform. Keep up the coding!!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast