Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I did the update, and it went flawlessly.

My steps:
    1.) NVBackup
    2.) Plugged into USB AND 110 outlet (Required)
    3.) Chose the PC to PDA option (without expansion card)
    4.) Followed the steps as directed.
    5.) completed in about 10 minutes.

shows PRL Rev: 51143
    Software: Centro-1.03-VZW

Does require staying with the phone to wake it up when it goes to sleep, and to calibrate the screen (about 4 times)

Very easy update to do. Too soon to see any changes yet, and haven't read yet what it is supposed to 'fix'.

RJuhl
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    I did the SD update yesterday. Flawlesss and I can't tell whet was changed or updated.

Quote Originally Posted by rjuhl View Post
    I did the update, and it went flawlessly.

My steps:
    1.) NVBackup
    2.) Plugged into USB AND 110 outlet (Required)
    3.) Chose the PC to PDA option (without expansion card)
    4.) Followed the steps as directed.
    5.) completed in about 10 minutes.

shows PRL Rev: 51143
    Software: Centro-1.03-VZW

Does require staying with the phone to wake it up when it goes to sleep, and to calibrate the screen (about 4 times)

Very easy update to do. Too soon to see any changes yet, and haven't read yet what it is supposed to 'fix'.

What does it add if anything?

Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    I wonder if it has anything to do with VZ removing the pay-as-you-go data plan?

Like maybe they are removing the ability to set up a Network in Prefs that goes to Cradle/Cable (a non-connecting dummy that you can use to alternate between Broadband Access and the dummy).
  5.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by He123321 View Post
    What does it add if anything?
    This is the description on the website for the update:

"This software update is a minor tune-up that may improve device usability in certain situations."

I'm assuming one of the improvements in device usability is improved BT performance, as I've been experiencing as of late. It's still too early for me to be conclusive about it though.
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    In the past, these vaguely worded VZW ROM updates for Palm's devices have usually brought about radio tweaks. For example, in the 755p Verizon ROM update of this past summer, I noticed a small but noticable improvement in how my 755p was able to hang onto a signal in fringe areas. Unfortunately this came at the expense of battery life.
    Last edited by hkklife; 11/03/2008 at 04:08 PM.
    Pilot 1000-->Pilot 5000-->PalmPilot Pro-->IIIe-->Vx-->m505-->T|T-->T|T2-->T|C-->T|T3-->T|T5-->TX-->Verizon Treo 700P-->Verizon Treo 755p-->Verizon Motorola Droid + Verizon Centro--> Verizon Motorola Droid X + Palm TX-->Verizon Droid Bionic + Palm TX
    Any idea if this breaks the USB Modem tethering?
    Personally, I'm going to hold off until I hear more info from other users. I have been quite happy with my VZW Centro...it has been the most stable Palm OS Smartphone to date! I wish Palm would be more specific or even Verizon. Just give us the lowdown what it actually improves....
    I'm also not in any hurry to load this new firmware. Centro is a solid phone!
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    To the few who have installed this update:

Did it it update the ROM (not RAM)-resident version of Google Maps to 2.0.2.0? Did it install the Facebook app into ROM? My guess is that it's primarily radio improvements & possibly a minor phone app tweak. Verizon is traditionally less concerned than Sprint with adding/updating non-essential components of their Palm OS devices.

Perhaps tomorrow will bring a mention of this update on the Palm blog and some additional details.
    Pilot 1000-->Pilot 5000-->PalmPilot Pro-->IIIe-->Vx-->m505-->T|T-->T|T2-->T|C-->T|T3-->T|T5-->TX-->Verizon Treo 700P-->Verizon Treo 755p-->Verizon Motorola Droid + Verizon Centro--> Verizon Motorola Droid X + Palm TX-->Verizon Droid Bionic + Palm TX
    I must say that my Verizon Centro is the fastest and most stable PalmOS device I've ever used, so I'm a little hesitant to change out the rom without knowing what it does, exactly...

-Warr
    Progress? Well, at least I can get color traffic maps now...
    Psion 3a -> Psion 3c -> Palm IIIXE -> Palm VIIx -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Centro
    I installed the update earlier tonight with no problems so far. I did notice one difference. When I was re-pairing the Centro with my Parrot 3400LS bluetooth kit in my car, I found that I can now send wallpaper to the Parrot via bluetooth. I always been unsuccessful when I tried this prior to the update. Since the Parrot has not been updated and the Centro has been, I assume that the new Centro firmware caused this feature to work.
  13.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by hkklife View Post
    To the few who have installed this update:

Did it it update the ROM (not RAM)-resident version of Google Maps to 2.0.2.0? Did it install the Facebook app into ROM? My guess is that it's primarily radio improvements & possibly a minor phone app tweak. Verizon is traditionally less concerned than Sprint with adding/updating non-essential components of their Palm OS devices.

Perhaps tomorrow will bring a mention of this update on the Palm blog and some additional details.

No, it didnt install Facebook and I think my google maps wasn't updated either...
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kewl 700p View Post
    Personally, I'm going to hold off until I hear more info from other users. I have been quite happy with my VZW Centro...it has been the most stable Palm OS Smartphone to date! I wish Palm would be more specific or even Verizon. Just give us the lowdown what it actually improves....
    I agree.
    I have been having some BT radio and once in a while a signal drop after using my BT. Also, today my Centro would not dial...I had to pull the battery and reboot. I may try this update.
    Interestingly enough, Palm has not posted the VZW Centro update on their blog...I'm sure they will be just as vague as their website....What did they fix? What did they take out?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kewl 700p View Post
    +1
    For all new Centro users who hasn't been with Palm for awhile....previously Palm has released firmware upgrades for the VZW Treo 700p back in July 2007 and it was problematic. It fixed one thing (sped up the Treo 700p) but they screwed up the internet connectivity and it wasn't until Sept 2007 when they finally fixed it and re-released it for the VZW Treo 700p. Unfortunately with Palm OS firmware upgrades, there is no official way to going back to the original firmware.

It also DOES NOT help that Palm is very vague with this upgrade. Even Microsoft Windows Update has more info....So, those of you who upgraded, please let us know what it has improved and if there are any issues....
    So, those of you who upgraded, please let us know what it has improved and if there are any issues....
    I've had no issues, but it's only been 24 hours. The only difference I've noticed is the better bluetooth connectivity with my bluetooth car kit (see my other post above).

I think I have slightly better signal strength in my house, but that could be my imagination.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast