Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    I've had my Palm Centro for Verizon for about five months. I only got it for the easy transition from years of using a Palm Handheld to a Palm Smartphone. I'm pleased with the ease of upgrade and all my features but totally dissatisfied with the call quality. While I can hear callers crystal clear on my bluetooth devices, callers continually tell me I sound like I'm far away from the phone or on a speakerphone when I talk using the bluetooth. I started with Plantronics Voyager 510 (works fine on older phone). Then, after speaking with a Verizon rep, he suggested I try another headset. So, I purchased the Motorola Motopure H12, and callers still cannot hear me good. I'm beginning to believe it's the Centro, and not the ear piece. Is anyone else having call quality problems?
    Yup, I have almost the identical problems. Seems fine if not using BT tho, but I do get tired holding the phone to my ear during long calls. BT seems to not work overly well. I have triied five different BT, but still not getting good results.
    RJuhl
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    Palm's smartphones all have lousy voice quality. Now, I haven't used an 800w or a Treo Pro (supposedly better) but I have no reason to believe the 800w is any better than Palm's previous CDMA efforts, especially given the comments I've read in 800w reviews about tinny sound quality etc.

Palm OS devices are ill-suited for use for "critical" voice functionality. Add to that the NVFS lag, OS instability, pathetic BT stack (no voice dialing etc) and you have the makings of a crummy phone for doing any extensive phone calling use.

That's why I went back to a Treo + Motorola dumbphone combination. My RAZR2 Moto will have several bars in places where my Treo has completely locked up while searching for a signal.
    Pilot 1000-->Pilot 5000-->PalmPilot Pro-->IIIe-->Vx-->m505-->T|T-->T|T2-->T|C-->T|T3-->T|T5-->TX-->Verizon Treo 700P-->Verizon Treo 755p-->Verizon Motorola Droid + Verizon Centro--> Verizon Motorola Droid X + Palm TX-->Verizon Droid Bionic + Palm TX
    I have found the Centro to be a much better phone than the Treo 650. It sounds great to me. BT is not so hot with my Garmin but fine otherwise.

BTW I am using GSM devices.
    It never occurred to me that it is the BT itself that's the issue and not my BT headset.
    BTW: my earpiece & speakerphone are just fine (on both ends). Speakerphone sounds terrific listening to pTunes.
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    I've always been a CDMA guy but my limited expeirence in very informal testing with Palm GSM smartphones (650 & 680) has usually had the GSM version sounding slighty better than its equivalent CDMA sister model.

MDiva & TurboTiger: It definitely sounds like Palm OS BT problems and not a headset problem. Can you try pairing your headset with a non-Treo/Centro device and see if it works ok? I would think the lousy Garnet Bluetooth stack is the culprit here.
    Pilot 1000-->Pilot 5000-->PalmPilot Pro-->IIIe-->Vx-->m505-->T|T-->T|T2-->T|C-->T|T3-->T|T5-->TX-->Verizon Treo 700P-->Verizon Treo 755p-->Verizon Motorola Droid + Verizon Centro--> Verizon Motorola Droid X + Palm TX-->Verizon Droid Bionic + Palm TX
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    CDMA Centro user here. Perfectly happy with both stability and sound quality. I love the hell out of every minute with this phone for over a year now.
    Global Posts
    2,486 Global Posts
    Using CDMA Centro.

Plantronics 510 works ok. Sound is decent listening and speaking through BT. Only problem is if I place the phone on the other side of my body or I'm moving around a lot I get intermittent static. I do feel the BT implementation on the Centro is especially sensitive and only the BT headsets with the strongest signals have no problems. I had tried Motorola H700 earlier and it had so much static it was unusable.
    I have another thread on this forum about this same problem.

I have a Verizon Centro-- I have used the BlueAnt z9i, Moto H700, Jawbone2 and Plantronics 925. I've had the phone swapped out once, and I've been through two different z9i's and H700's and I still got the same quality-- lots of static and plenty of complaints by the person on the other end that I sounded like I was under water or that there was a lot of audio cutting out.

The best so far has been the Plantronics 925. The incoming sound quality is really good, static is minimal, and I haven't really had many complaints on the other end of the calls.

I'm thinking that it's the BT on the Centro itself. I'm wondering if I got two bad phones, as other people on this board have said that they have no problems w/ the headsets I've mentioned above and the Centro.
    Quote Originally Posted by lyrictenor1 View Post
    I have another thread on this forum about this same problem.

I have a Verizon Centro-- I have used the BlueAnt z9i, Moto H700, Jawbone2 and Plantronics 925. I've had the phone swapped out once, and I've been through two different z9i's and H700's and I still got the same quality-- lots of static and plenty of complaints by the person on the other end that I sounded like I was under water or that there was a lot of audio cutting out.

The best so far has been the Plantronics 925. The incoming sound quality is really good, static is minimal, and I haven't really had many complaints on the other end of the calls.

I'm thinking that it's the BT on the Centro itself. I'm wondering if I got two bad phones, as other people on this board have said that they have no problems w/ the headsets I've mentioned above and the Centro.
    I am on my fourth centro 2 of them for phone app reseting on recieveing calls. and the last one was for the bluetooth and the latest one same issue with the bluetooth / phone app reseting phone. The first 2 centros the bluetooth worked great no static or dropping at all. and have a jabra 8040 and a moto h500. both work great with any other phone but not the last 2 centro's. so to me there seems to be a bad batch of phones. i just seemed to be the unlucky one to get them.
    Quote Originally Posted by bullseye69 View Post
    I am on my fourth centro 2 of them for phone app reseting on recieveing calls. and the last one was for the bluetooth and the latest one same issue with the bluetooth / phone app reseting phone. The first 2 centros the bluetooth worked great no static or dropping at all. and have a jabra 8040 and a moto h500. both work great with any other phone but not the last 2 centro's. so to me there seems to be a bad batch of phones. i just seemed to be the unlucky one to get them.
    First, if you have "AIM" on your Centro, get rid of it. It caused my phone to have all kinds of problems...resetting, rebooting,etc. Once I got rid of it, problem resolved. Side note, my SIL has AIM on her computer along with other AOL stuff and was reeking havoc...I removed all those programs, cleaned up the drive and all works well. Long story short...AIM is BAD!! I am on the Verizon Centro, BTW.

I agree that there is a BT/handset issue with the Palm. I can hear the caller perfectly, have full signal and once in a while the caller on the other end will say "your breaking up". Who knows, if this a system overload and Verizon's problem or that of the Centro? I can not determine 100% who's at fault because this has happened on some of my other phones from time to time.
    BTW, I have a "cheap" H300 BT headset (battery lasts about a month), but people say I sound "crystal clear" for the most part.

Also, to the guy that mentioned RF (reception) of this phone. I am an RF nut. I have a flashed CDMA Razr and a E815. The Verizon Centro gets reception and is able to place calls where the Razr/E815 could not or would cut in/out. This shocked the heck out of me. These tests were conducted on different days so there could be different conditions that favor one over the other. My conclusion, at least on the Verizon network, the RF is on par with the RAZR and E815.

The main complaint on this phone is the lack of BT voice command!! How this can not be implemented in today's world simply amazes me....utterly stupid and sounds like there is no way around it. This is my biggest gripe on this phone and I was ready to return it because of this, but decided to keep it for the $48 spent. I look at it this was...I have all my programs, can draft letters, great MP3 player, movies, keyboard, mail, internet and it's a PDA. I could not justify paying a $100 for a phone only over the $48 for a PDA phone,
    Last edited by mikelets456; 10/29/2008 at 08:22 AM.
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    It's user friendly, but as usual, Palm has no multifunction taskbar similar to that of Windows Mobile devices. The keypad is too small and the stylus is too cheap-looking.
    Using a Centro with free ActiveSync at http://www.TheMessageCenter.com
    Quote Originally Posted by hkklife View Post

MDiva & TurboTiger: It definitely sounds like Palm OS BT problems and not a headset problem. Can you try pairing your headset with a non-Treo/Centro device and see if it works ok? I would think the lousy Garnet Bluetooth stack is the culprit here.

Got to find a another willing Centro owner.

If I do, I'll report back.

Good Luck
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    No, I mean, try to pair your headset with a regular "plain" dumbphone with Bluetooth and see if the static still exists!

For example, when I pair my Moto H700 headset to my RAZR2 phone, it works flawlessly with no static unless the phone & headset are quite a ways apart. But when the same headset is paired to my 755p, the connection has periodic hiccups and static and dropouts even if they are just a few inches apart!

Hope this clarifies things. Good luck!
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikelets456 View Post
    The Verizon Centro gets reception and is able to place calls where the Razr/E815 could not or would cut in/out. This shocked the heck out of me. These tests were conducted on different days so there could be different conditions that favor one over the other. My conclusion, at least on the Verizon network, the RF is on par with the RAZR and E815.
    I'm shocked too. The e815 is legendary as having the best RF reception. I have it and the Centro (serial use), but haven't tested them back-to-back. I've never lost a call using either, but attributed that to VZ's coverage, not that the Centro was so good (which shows less bars than the e815). Thanks for posting your test results.

I'm with you, at $50 an amazing deal. Very pleased with the Centro, especially since I'm a Palm junkie who has the patience to input everything that would otherwise go on a yellow sticky, making the Centro my secondary brain that is *always* with me. Nice too, to be able to beam over a lot of information from my previous PDA. Free Docs2Go and PTunes Deluxe, just an amazing deal.
    I use a Jabra BT8040 and a Samsung WEP410 on my Centro and used it with my 755P, and no one ever complained about sound quality. On my end, everything sounds fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by hkklife View Post
    No, I mean, try to pair your headset with a regular "plain" dumbphone with Bluetooth and see if the static still exists!

For example, when I pair my Moto H700 headset to my RAZR2 phone, it works flawlessly with no static unless the phone & headset are quite a ways apart. But when the same headset is paired to my 755p, the connection has periodic hiccups and static and dropouts even if they are just a few inches apart!

Hope this clarifies things. Good luck!
    Got it.
    Tks
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    On my Centro I use a Plantronics 220. It is a entry level with the best sound inbound and outbound. I have bad hearing and this bluetooth volume level is better than a hearing aid. It was sold on this site but not anymore. It is sold at WalMart. $24-$29.
    Florida Tony
    GSM: Treo 270 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 680 > Centro > iPhone 3G S
    I have an 8-months old GSM Centro and I paired it with my Motorola H500. The incoming sound is crystal clear and the people I talked to have never complained about my voice being low or unclear. I also pair my phone with my BMW Bluetooth System and it also worked great. No statics and people can hear me fine. I am suspecting that the older phones may have a better BT reception than the newer ones. ??? Well, I have never tested the connection on my husband's Motorola Car Kit T305 so I may have to pair his 4-months old Centro to it when he comes back from his business trip, and see what happens.
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    Mine is much better/more reliable than 700P
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast