1.    #1  
    I am in a pretty frightening situation. I reformatted my computer and reinstalled XP.

Before that, I copied the "Palm OS Desktop" file from my documents and saved it. Now with the fresh operating system, I installed palm desktop and overwrote the "Palm OS Desktop" in the My Documents folder with the saved copy.

I installed all the backup PDB files and my TREO is just like before but missing the Contacts and Calander.

Can anyone help?

Thanks!
    SPRINT POWER VISION
    Did you have the sync manager setup to Device Overwrites PC on the first sync after install? If not, hopefully you have another backup on another computer or device...
    Do you still have the saved copy in your My Documents from your old Palm desktop? If so, import it into your new Palm Desktop and then do a hotsync. Also, when you installed the new Palm Desktop from the CD, did you choose to sync your PIM info with Outlook or with Palm Desktop?
    Sprint Treo 755p (blue) with SanDisk 2GB miniSD card. some of my apps installed: TakephOne, DateBk6, 2Day, 4Cast, BellTime 1.0, Palm PDF, Pocket Tunes Deluxe, Kinoma 4, TCPMP, Webmessenger, Card Reader, Slingplayer Mobile, Mobipocket Reader, PS Memo, Virtual Piano, Resco Backup, Cleanup, Uninstall, Destaller, Virtual Piano, Favogo, Snap, Thesaurus, TryDA, Colorize, ChatterEmail, DBFixit, Icon Manager, Noah Pro Dictionary, zLauncher, FileZ, RNS Cuckoo Clock, 25 games.
  4.    #4  
    Yeah I still have my documents from old palm desktop. And I would do a sync to outlook. Is there still hope?
    SPRINT POWER VISION
    Well, if you chose to sync to Outlook, and you have the archived Outlook .pst file (that is how Outlook saves your contact, calender, etc info) then just import that file again into Outlook. Then check Outlook to see if your stuff is in there, then do another hotsync.

You were mentioning your saved your .pdb files from your old Palm Desktop and those aren't Outlook files. So did you use to sync your PIM data with Outlook on your old computer?
    Sprint Treo 755p (blue) with SanDisk 2GB miniSD card. some of my apps installed: TakephOne, DateBk6, 2Day, 4Cast, BellTime 1.0, Palm PDF, Pocket Tunes Deluxe, Kinoma 4, TCPMP, Webmessenger, Card Reader, Slingplayer Mobile, Mobipocket Reader, PS Memo, Virtual Piano, Resco Backup, Cleanup, Uninstall, Destaller, Virtual Piano, Favogo, Snap, Thesaurus, TryDA, Colorize, ChatterEmail, DBFixit, Icon Manager, Noah Pro Dictionary, zLauncher, FileZ, RNS Cuckoo Clock, 25 games.
  6.    #6  
    I only saved the My Documents folder. Where are the pst files normally saved?
    SPRINT POWER VISION
    C:\Documents and Settings\XXX\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook

Where XXX is your user name. Most everything is stored in the C:\Documents and Settings\XXX\ folder and its subfolders. Favorites, My Documents, Desktop, plus a myriad of other items are there, It's always a good idea to save this folder (although I usually purge the temporary internet files and history first since these files can just take forever to copy over due to the sheer number of them.)
    Followup: you didn't export your Outlook data to a pst file prior to the format did you?
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by cavingjan View Post
    Followup: you didn't export your Outlook data to a pst file prior to the format did you?
    yay! no I didn't... 300 contacts... history.
    SPRINT POWER VISION
    I take it none of those contacts are saved online in either Hotmail or Gmail.com??

I believe that Outlook automatically archives your PIM data to a .pst file and you can set the frequency of this, I have mine set to archive once a week. On top of that, I suggest that you get into the habit of putting a copy of that most recent .pst file onto a thumbdrive or CD, for safe keeping.

I'm sorry that this happened to you.
    archiving is a whole separate feature. archiving will move old (whatever your threshhold is set to) data from the main pst file to an archive pst file. It moves it from 1 pst file to another one. It unfortunately does not put it in two places.
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    been there done that with blowing up my contacts and old emails. i backup outlook to a .pst every month or so just in case.