1.    #1  
    I have a friend who has the same Verizon Centro as me, however he did not go with a monthly internet plan because he had no intention of using email or the web.

He got his first bill and was charged for web usage, even though he swears he never went on the web or used email.

Since I have the unlimited data plan, I have no experience with this.

Can anyone provide some possibilities as to how/why he is incurring data usage and being charged for it?
    Quote Originally Posted by AlbanyHDTV View Post
    I have a friend who has the same Verizon Centro as me, however he did not go with a monthly internet plan because he had no intention of using email or the web.

He got his first bill and was charged for web usage, even though he swears he never went on the web or used email.

Since I have the unlimited data plan, I have no experience with this.

Can anyone provide some possibilities as to how/why he is incurring data usage and being charged for it?
    Has he used "Google maps"? My daugher used it and said "Dad, it does not use the internet..."

BUT IT DOES!
    Also Pocket Express (On Demand), My Centro (My Treo), Software, and probably a whole lot more.

George
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    PTunes and, I believe, DTG will also perioridally connect online to search for updated/newer versions of those apps. PTunes Deluxe will also prompt you to download streaming radio stations as well.

I'd personally either go ahead and pony up for a data plan OR call VZW CS and tell them that you politey request they lock out all data transfers from that device's ESN on the account. Although I think I read somewhere recently that they frown on doing that nowadays since data surcharges comprise such a healthy chunk of their revenue stream.
    Pilot 1000-->Pilot 5000-->PalmPilot Pro-->IIIe-->Vx-->m505-->T|T-->T|T2-->T|C-->T|T3-->T|T5-->TX-->Verizon Treo 700P-->Verizon Treo 755p-->Verizon Motorola Droid + Verizon Centro--> Verizon Motorola Droid X + Palm TX-->Verizon Droid Bionic + Palm TX
    If you go to System Preferences and select Network, Then select Preferences from the menu, you can specify that your Centro always asks before connecting to the network. That way the only way it uses the network is if you say "yes".
  6.    #6  
    Thanks for your responses. Didn't think about Google Maps or My Centro. I'll pass the information along.
    The only advice you need is hkklife's suggestion to call Verizon. When I bought my Centro and declined the data plan, the rep actually asked me it I wanted to block data. My receipt even notes "Block NationalAccess" & "Block Downloads" (or something similar) and my phone simply can't make any data connections. It just hangs on the "Connecting to Broadband Access" dialogue, which you then can cancel.
    Quote Originally Posted by notmuch View Post
    The only advice you need is hkklife's suggestion to call Verizon. When I bought my Centro and declined the data plan, the rep actually asked me it I wanted to block data. My receipt even notes "Block NationalAccess" & "Block Downloads" (or something similar) and my phone simply can't make any data connections. It just hangs on the "Connecting to Broadband Access" dialogue, which you then can cancel.
    However,when "data block" was set, I had the problem where I could not send or receive MMS messages. The best bet is to set in preferences to check before "attempting to connect to the internet".
    I will be getting a centro from verizon soon and was wondering about this situation too. I plan on getting the pay-as-you-go data plan because I don't plan on using the internet/email. However, will I need internet access for picture messages or if someone sends me a smiley face graphic?

Also, will I be able to download apps to my computer and transfer them to my phone using the USB cord?

Thanks in advance!
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    1. Yes, MMC/picture messaging is treated as "data", not a regular SMS/text message. So you will be charged the per-message fee as well as the pay-as-you-go data rate.

2. Yes you can download & Hotsync nearly every imaginable Palm OS app (PRC & PDB files) from your PC to your Centro. Just make sure you download the 6.2 beta Palm Desktop client from Palm's support site if your PC is running Windows Vista.

Google Maps will probably need an update to the latest version 2.0.2.0. BUT be warned that all map data is download wirelessly so you will be charged for that! That said, here's the direct link to that on Google's site so you don't have to do the OTA (over the air) download:

http://www.google.com/gmm/GoogleMaps.prc

Also in addition to obvious ones like FaceBook & Google Maps, keep in mind that many Treo-specific standalone apps that have integrated online functions may (PocketTunes, PocketExpress, Tryda etc) may require connecting to a server to download program or content updates, so be mindful of that. And certainly avoid any streaming media apps such as CorePlayer or Kinoma!

Those data charges can add up very quickly!
    Pilot 1000-->Pilot 5000-->PalmPilot Pro-->IIIe-->Vx-->m505-->T|T-->T|T2-->T|C-->T|T3-->T|T5-->TX-->Verizon Treo 700P-->Verizon Treo 755p-->Verizon Motorola Droid + Verizon Centro--> Verizon Motorola Droid X + Palm TX-->Verizon Droid Bionic + Palm TX
    I have the unlimited text/pix/flix plan, does that matter? or will I still be charged for data?
    Quote Originally Posted by jendi View Post
    However, will I need internet access for picture messages or if someone sends me a smiley face graphic?
    Not the smiley faces as they are just sent as a sequence of characaters eg ":-)" and interpretted and displayed by your own device.
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    Here is a great post by bpsherwo, that offers some options. I use his Step 2 (shown below), because I rarely use the data plan. It creates another Network service, "NoDataCharges" so that you can alternate between "Broadband Access" and "NoDataCharges". Much preferable to having Verizon block your data, because it leaves you the option to instantly have data on or off. I've always had it set to "NoDataCharges" and have not been charged one penny of data usage.

On the Palm OS Device
    Preferences > Network > Menu > Service > New
    ....Service: NoDataCharges
    ....Connection: Cradle/Cable
    Click [Done]
    Nice advice on the dummy Network service, jj2me.

Now I'm curious... can anyone tell me what a "typical" Google maps query would cost in Verizon's pay by kb plan?