Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I downloaded the new Kinoma Ex update 4.5.1 yesterday, and after doing so was unable to get Librivox books to load. They kept timing out. The catalog would load but not the books.

I did a restore with NVBackup to the old version and it still works fine with Librivox. Do not do the update if you want to listen to these books. I have contacted Kinoma support about this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cathearder View Post
    I downloaded the new Kinoma Ex update 4.5.1 yesterday, and after doing so was unable to get Librivox books to load. They kept timing out. The catalog would load but not the books. I did a restore with NVBackup to the old version and it still works fine with Librivox.
    I'm guessing it was a coincidence. I just played a few random Librivox books right now, and they're working fine.

-- Charles Wiltgen
    Kinoma Notes blog | Subscribe to blog (email) | Subscribe to blog (RSS) | Follow Kinoma for news/content alerts | Follow KinomaTips for tips/tricks
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for your response. I am very sure that the update did cause the problem. As soon as I reverted back to the old version of 4.5.0 Librivox worked fine. I have a 755P. Is that the device you tested on?
  4.    #4  
    Update: I heard from Kinoma support and they suggested I try to dl 4.5.1 update again. I did, and this time no problem with Librivox. As I said to them, one of the things about tech stuff that make you go hmmmm.

As an aside, now that the new update is working, it seems that since the last 2 updates Librivox is staying connected better.
    As an aside, now that the new update is working, it seems that since the last 2 updates Librivox is staying connected better.
    Cool, glad to hear it!

-- Charles Wiltgen
    Kinoma Notes blog | Subscribe to blog (email) | Subscribe to blog (RSS) | Follow Kinoma for news/content alerts | Follow KinomaTips for tips/tricks
  6.    #6  
    Grrr. It has happened again- Librivox books won't play and time out immediately. I have listened to Librivox every day since I got Kinoma 4EX and this did not happen until I did the latest update.

Anyone on Sprint with Kinoma 4.5.1 able to test if Librivox books are playing? The catalog works but not the books.
    Grrr. It has happened again- Librivox books won't play and time out immediately.
    It's a problem with the server, not Kinoma Player 4 EX. I can't play Librivox content at the moment with Kinoma Play, either. (Librivox hosts their audiobooks on archive.org, which can be busy on Halloween.)

Here's a good test: If you can get to other audio or video content via Kinoma Guide, then that's a reliable indicator that there's not a problem with Kinoma Player itself.

The catalog works but not the books.
    We host the Librivox catalog as part of Kinoma Guide, which is near 100% reliable.

-- Charles Wiltgen
  8.    #8  
    Charles thanks for letting me know. It has not worked since this morning and it is acting an awful lot like what happened last time. I did try a lot of the other content, and some works and some does the same thing.
    Yeah, the same problem is happening on my treo. None of the librovox audio titles will work.

The response "timed out" happens repeatedly any time you attempt to listen to a chapter.

Any way we can download a patch to fix this, charles?
  10.    #10  
    treobk are you using 4.5.1 also?
  11.    #11  
    In frustration I restored back to 4.5.0 which did work before. Unfortunately it is not working now either.
  12. UserOne
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles
    It's a problem with the server, not Kinoma Player 4 EX. I can't play Librivox content at the moment with Kinoma Play, either. (Librivox hosts their audiobooks on archive.org, which can be busy on Halloween.)
    Am I missing something here or didn't Charles say above that the books themselves are hosted by Librivox themselves and that the issue is that their server can't handle all the traffic ?
  13.    #13  
    That is not currently the issue.

I heard from Kinoma support and they say they can access Librivox.

I would appreciate any of you who have Kinoma 4EX to try to access a Librivox book chapter and report what happens. Kinoma does not see to feel that this is a problem on their end, and I feel it would help to have more information from others about what happens when you try to access a book.

There is at least one other person, treobk, who has the same issue so far.
    That is not currently the issue.

I heard from Kinoma support and they say they can access Librivox.

I would appreciate any of you who have Kinoma 4EX to try to access a Librivox book chapter and report what happens. Kinoma does not see to feel that this is a problem on their end, and I feel it would help to have more information from others about what happens when you try to access a book.

There is at least one other person, treobk, who has the same issue so far.
    I upgraded to Kinoma Player 4EX and can confirm that everything is timing out for me when trying to listen to LibriVox on my Centro. I am able to listen fine when I access their website on my computer.
    It could be DNS issues with your provider. IS there a way that you could directly enter the IP address?
  16.    #16  
    Thanks for checking DVee. That shows at least 3 people are having a problem accessing Librivox since the update.

Kinoma support seems to feel that since they can access Librivox that it is a network problem and do not seem inclined to look into this further.

If we could show them this is affecting everyone that may make a difference. Please could any of you with Kinoma 4EX try to access a book chapter at Librivox and report here what happens and what network you are using? I am on Sprint.
    FWIW, I just tried a Librivox link and it timed out on me.

I do not have the latest Librivox update.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
  18.    #18  
    Cavingjan I can get to Librivox.org but it is not the same as using it through Kinoma, it plays through Pocket Tunes. You can dl the files to your card. With Kinoma you have instant access and if the stream is interupted it starts at the point it stopped at.

The best workaround is to dl the files to your computer from Librivox and move them to your card, and then play through Pocket Tunes. Doing it this way you do not get that playback from where you stopped at if you stop in the middle of a chapter and play something else, like you do with Kinoma.

Also the files take a lot of room on the card. I use ogg files which are smaller but it is something I would rather not have to have on my card but access directly. With direct access with Kinoma you can listen to more than one book at a time. Using the dl to card method that just takes up to much space.
  19.    #19  
    Thanks for checking Westman. I restored back to 4.5.0 which is what you likely have and that one does not work either. Are you on Sprint?
    Thanks for checking Westman. I restored back to 4.5.0 which is what you likely have and that one does not work either. Are you on Sprint?
    Yes, I'm on Sprint. I've noticed this happening in the past and sometimes I kept trying and would get lucky and it would fully connect - then I'd hit the "download" box/icon so I'd have it on my phone. By the time I finished the segment, I might be able to get another. But that's just the luck of the draw.

I finally grabbed about a dozen segments of an audiobook through my pc, dropped them on my mini-sd card, and slapped it back in my Treo.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast