1.    #1  
    Last night I was creating a to-do list for the weekend in Tasks, and the phone locked up on me. It wouldn't respond to any keys, so I pulled the battery for a reset. Now, Tasks will not load. I click on the icon, and the screen goes blank for a moment, and then it drops back to my applications list. I've reset the phone a few more times, everything else works, but Tasks will not load.

Any ideas?
    sounds like the task database is corrupt. Do you do nightly backups? IF not, do you hotsync and have you done a hotsync since the problem. If you have not done a hotsync yet, try setting it to overwrite the handheld.

But the best bet is to restore the task database from a previous night's backup. If all else fails, delete the task database and start over again.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks, I tried this, but it didn't work. My Tasks still won't start up. Any other suggestions (besides a reset)?
    As someone mentioned, the nightly backups or even better, do you do a device based backup on a routine basis? Regardless, a hard reset and a restore from a much earlier period in life may be required. If you have no previous backups, then...

Have you tried an application like DBFixit to determine if there is a file structure problem?