1.    #1  
    Hi!
    MY Treo 680 somethimes refuses to beam anything to other devices. It also doesn't want to receive anything.
    Irda is always turned on, and I have tried to beam to many other devices (PC, Palm TX, Treo 270, Handera 330, LifeDrive, Tungsten T3...) and it doesn't work - it always says that it cannot find any nearby devices.
    If I perform a soft reset, the problem is gone for a while... Does anyone know what may be causing this? Which software might be responsible?
    Thanks a lot in advance.
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    I'm sorry to report that I've always had this problem with my PalmOS devices, right from the IIIxe I cut my teeth on. I have not used the 680's infrared port much but when I have used it, I've had to very carefully position the two devices and / or reboot the device to get it to work.

I usually leave the infrared port switched off and activate it when needed.

As an alternative to using the infrared with your TX, LifeDrive and T3 you might want to try using Bluetooth.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for your reply.
    Unfortunately, bluetooth is not an option as I am also using older Palms quite a lot (Handera 300 + Palm keyboard for example - an excellent combination. ).
    Since I have this problem only on the Treo 680 I suspect that there must be some software that is causing the trouble.
    If anyone has identified what is causing it, please share it here.

Thanks a lot!
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hgradeca View Post
    Thanks for your reply.
    Unfortunately, bluetooth is not an option as I am also using older Palms quite a lot (Handera 300 + Palm keyboard for example - an excellent combination. ).
    Dervy turns green. I have yet to find a Handera 330 on eBay that wasn't quickly ramped up to silly* prices. I think they individually numbered them in the UK and sold half a dozen!

Back on topic, have you tried beaming to the Treo?

*as much as a used Centro, say.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by DervMan View Post
    Dervy turns green. I have yet to find a Handera 330 on eBay that wasn't quickly ramped up to silly* prices. I think they individually numbered them in the UK and sold half a dozen!

Back on topic, have you tried beaming to the Treo?

*as much as a used Centro, say.

Regarding Handera, I was pretty lucky because I have found a guy who was willing to sell it locally and since he was obviously not aware what great PDA he had, I managed to get it quite cheap.

Yep, I've tried that too.
    I have reset the Treo several times now - sometimes irda doesn't work right after the reset... And sometimes it just stops working from no apparent reason...
    I just don't get it... I hoped that there was an application that was causing the problem, but it just seems to random...
    Well, that means that I'll have to test it more.

I just got an idea! When I get some time, I'll try TealScan. I have heard that it can be quite effective, so it may help me fix the problem.

Thank you a lot for your help, I really appreciate it.
  6.    #6  
    Well, it seams that I have found a solution - use some program to flush cache.
    I recommend F L U S H I T (sorry for writing it this way - rude words detector replaced last part of its name ) - it is free and I didn't find any bugs.
    You can download it at freewarepalm.

So whenever irda stops working, I run this app and the problem is gone for a while.
    It seems to be the best solution so far, I hope it will not stop working.