1.    #1  
    Hi gang,

I just upgraded from the Treo 650 to the Treo 755p, and the Treo 755p is absolutely noticeably better in every single way! Except for one tiny little thing....

I'm frustrated by how difficult it now is to type in the PERCENT SIGN.

In the past on the Treo 650, all we had to do was type the letter "P" and then hit the "Alt" key and choose the percent symbol. It was quick, simple, and easy!

But now, the percent symbol no longer appears underneath the letter "P" anymore. I discovered that I could bring up the % key by just hitting "Alt" on its own, but then it does something very bizarre -- the percent symbol OVERWRITES the previous number (or letter) that you just typed! So if you're trying to type 50%, it will end up as 5%. So now, I'm getting in the habit of typing in 500% when what I want is 50%. But even after all of that, it then puts the cursor back before the % sign! So you have to move the cursor forward again!

So frustrating because this used to be so easy.

I just discovered tonight that I could press Menu-K to bring up a menu of keyboard characters, and it seems like I can quickly select the "%" symbol there (although it does require a tap on the screen since it can't be navigated with the 5-way navipad).

So that's probably going to be the way I do it from now on... unless somebody knows of a quicker way to bring up the percent sign without having to tap on the screen? Any quick "ALT" shortcuts like in the olden days?

Thanks for any ideas!

Sincerely,
    Scott
  2. UserOne
    Personally, I always make a "-" dash with the number-key (the white key) and S... then press "Alt". This will bring up a list of alternatives... the "%" sign will be one of the choices available & the choices are 5-way navigable. If you select the percent sign (or any of the other choices) it will replace the dash you made earlier with the percent sign. The dash is just an easy shortcut for me, but a asterisk or slash would work just the same with the "Alt" trick (for some reason, the "alt" trick does NOT work with the ampersand).

The extra zero trick you mentioned earlier works pretty much the same... however, I do not have the same cursor issue you describe. After changing my zero or dash to a percent sign, the cursor stays right after the percent sign... ready to continue typing.

Just my .02... L8R
  3.    #3  
    Thanks so much for your feedback! I really appreciate it!

Ah -- I just noticed that the cursor issue I was talking about ONLY happens in SnapperMail, so maybe it's a bug in that program. The cursor issue is normal everywhere else. Thank you!

Scott
    Use 0 Alt instead of P alt. I have no clue why they ever put it under P on the old phones.
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cavingjan View Post
    I have no clue why they ever put it under P on the old phones.
    Perhaps they meant P for Percent... I don't get some of the current alt logic either. I miss graffiti at times like this.
    Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    Within the Messaging application push the ALT key and a list of symbols comes on-screen. Use the navigation key to scroll to the symbol you want to use.
    Quote Originally Posted by UserOne View Post

The extra zero trick you mentioned earlier works pretty much the same... however, I do not have the same cursor issue you describe. After changing my zero or dash to a percent sign, the cursor stays right after the percent sign... ready to continue typing.

Just my .02... L8R
    Could you better explain this extra 0 trick?
    place a zero where you want your percent and then hit the alt key and then center.
    Quote Originally Posted by cavingjan View Post
    place a zero where you want your percent and then hit the alt key and then center.
    hmm... this still doesn't place a % sign where the 0 was..
    Quote Originally Posted by mitchgt View Post
    hmm... this still doesn't place a % sign where the 0 was..
    Let me add to cavingjan instructions;

place a zero where you want your percent and then hit the alt key, "scroll and select the % symbol from the list" and then press the center button - the % should be where your 0 was.

Thats the way it works on my 755p.
    www.MouseGlider.com
    Come Glide with Us

Rock Solid and Stable - Sprint Centro and Treo 755p
    I use ShortCut5. When I need to use percent, all I have to do is type .p (the 'period' and then the letter 'p'), and it is replaced with %. I also do that with .k (the 'period' and then the letter k) which is my shortcut for ; (semicolon). Works great for me!

VERY happy user of these GREAT apps:

TAKEphONE, 2day, 4cast, 2dial.
    Also check out the
    TAKEphONE skins , TAKEphONE skins thread

Verizon Treo 755p
    Quote Originally Posted by MouseGlider View Post

place a zero where you want your percent and then hit the alt key, "scroll and select the % symbol from the list" and then press the center button - the % should be where your 0 was.

Surly you all guessed it... I was hitting the shift key... (not sure why I thought that was the alt key) but thanks for the sweet tip!
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MouseGlider View Post

On my Verizon 755P if you type a 0 and hit the alt key, the % sign is preselected so no scrolling is involved. Simply press the center button.
    %
    Quote Originally Posted by ikey78 View Post
    On my Verizon 755P if you type a 0 and hit the alt key, the % sign is preselected so no scrolling is involved. Simply press the center button.
    You sir, are correct! As that is the way my 755p works. I wasn't quite sure if that would be the case with all Treo's past, present, Verizon, and Sprint.
    www.MouseGlider.com
    Come Glide with Us

Rock Solid and Stable - Sprint Centro and Treo 755p
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    It seems the % sign is the default "Alt" character after typing any numerical character. I went though all alpha/numeric, and punctuation characters last night and followed them with the Alt key. It was interesting to see some of what's there... Give it a try when you're bored sometime.