Global Posts
    760 Global Posts
    For all of you Sprint Centro users Palm will be offering two new soft touch colors Olive Green and Vibrant Rose for the Hollidays.

http://blog.palm.com/palm/2008/10/centro-for-spri.html
    Those 2 Centro were post over a month ago, but nothing official. I'm just looking foward to the new 1.08, and see what it brings us.

Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    I beg to differ on this being "old" news. The colors, yes that's been coming for quite some time. But the RAM boost is the big news here IMHO. Palm has made two hardware improvements to these colors, 128mb of RAM and soft-touch paint. And I would not rule out the possibility that these new Centros might ship with 1.08 standard.

The boost in RAM is an unprecedented move by Palm. Normally they would try to milk just that change alone as a "Centro 2". Since SD card access is still pretty brutally slow under Garnet, the extra internal space is nice, especially whe doing stuff like saving camera photos or pull down e-mails with attachments.

It's a good sign that Palm hasn't thrown in the towel just yet (both for Garnet and in general) and is committed to trying to continue tweaking the Centro in the face of increasingly fierce smartphone competition at that pricepoint. If I were Palm, I'd be making a bigger hoopla over the hardware improvements than the new colors but for the market they are targeting (teenyboppers & novice smartphone users), the focus on aesthetics is to be expected.
    Pilot 1000-->Pilot 5000-->PalmPilot Pro-->IIIe-->Vx-->m505-->T|T-->T|T2-->T|C-->T|T3-->T|T5-->TX-->Verizon Treo 700P-->Verizon Treo 755p-->Verizon Motorola Droid + Verizon Centro--> Verizon Motorola Droid X + Palm TX-->Verizon Droid Bionic + Palm TX
    I'm interested in the new green Centro, especially since I got one for my girlfriend and it runs so much faster than my 755p. At least, it would hold me over until next year's new Palm OS.

Does anyone know of a Centro-form-fit car mount? I hate the universal ones, and that's the only thing that has really held me back on getting a Centro.
    Quote Originally Posted by hkklife View Post
    I beg to differ on this being "old" news. The colors, yes that's been coming for quite some time. But the RAM boost is the big news here IMHO. Palm has made two hardware improvements to these colors, 128mb of RAM and soft-touch paint. And I would not rule out the possibility that these new Centros might ship with 1.08 standard.

Thats why I said

I'm just looking foward to the new 1.08, and see what it brings us.

I hope the new update will give us the same goddies the new color Centros will have.

Palm knows they have a winner in the Centro, so they will try everything to continue the little boggers success.

Jesus I hate being a nerd... My 755p is beating my 800w in performance and usability in my personal testing. I'm thinking of trying a Blackberry, but now I see this new Olive Centro with the soft touch finish and higher memory and it is looking damn good. Doesn't remind me of a toy any more.

I may have to sell my 755p and my 800w to get my grubby nerdy hands on this new Centro and a Bluetooth GPS unit :-)

Timmay
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    Quote Originally Posted by He123321 View Post
    I hope the new update will give us the same goddies the new color Centros will have.
    The only thing these new ones have that the old ones don't is a bigger memory.. and there's no way a system update can increase that.
    Quote Originally Posted by fstopstigmata View Post
    The only thing these new ones have that the old ones don't is a bigger memory.. and there's no way a system update can increase that.
    I'm sure he talking about fixes in the software / Goodies. The upgrade won't give the old Centros the soft touch finish either.
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    Same phone. Different colors. Yippee
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    It would be a very positive sign if the 1.08 update gives users of "old" Centros the latest versions of Google Maps & the Facebook app in ROM. IMO this is something that the previous ROM update should have done, at least for Google Maps, as it was the update that added the My Location to the Sprint version of the Centro.

It's unlikely this will happen but it'd be great if Palm would give theis loyals the gift of freeing up several megabytes of precious internal RAM space.
    Pilot 1000-->Pilot 5000-->PalmPilot Pro-->IIIe-->Vx-->m505-->T|T-->T|T2-->T|C-->T|T3-->T|T5-->TX-->Verizon Treo 700P-->Verizon Treo 755p-->Verizon Motorola Droid + Verizon Centro--> Verizon Motorola Droid X + Palm TX-->Verizon Droid Bionic + Palm TX
    Quote Originally Posted by fwinst View Post
    Same phone. Different colors. Yippee
    Not quite the same phone. Different memory configuration.
    Quote Originally Posted by hkklife View Post
    It would be a very positive sign if the 1.08 update gives users of "old" Centros the latest versions of Google Maps & the Facebook app in ROM.
    Bingo I need to start posting more detailed replies.

Ugly, ugly colors though. Hopefully they'll upgrade all the colors to 128 Meg.
    I really like the green centro. Though, I doubt I'll buy this one as I'm having Treo withdrawals. I hope to buy a treo 800w this by mid next week.
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    I hope the new Centro hadware makes it across to the United Kingdom. It may only be an incremental improvement in memory but that combined with the... interesting... colours has to be a good thing.