Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hello,

In addition to releasing Kinoma Player 4 EX v4.5 today, we introduced a new Palm OS product: Kinoma Player 4.

It's sort of like Kinoma FreePlay, but for Palm OS.

Details are on our blog.

-- Charles Wiltgen
    Kinoma Notes blog | Subscribe to blog (email) | Subscribe to blog (RSS) | Follow Kinoma for news/content alerts | Follow KinomaTips for tips/tricks
    This is great news for everyone who hasn't gotten Kinoma yet!

Question though, i dont see much difference from the 4 EX version now. Could you enlighten us on this?

THanks!
  3. UserOne
    Quote Originally Posted by bulls96 View Post
    This is great news for everyone who hasn't gotten Kinoma yet!

Question though, i dont see much difference from the 4 EX version now. Could you enlighten us on this?

THanks!
    I'm sure Charles will have a bit more info than I on this, but it seems that the ORB ability to stream your media remotely from your home PC is the big addition to the 4.5 version. There is also mention of improved YouTube & Podcasting performance on their blog post HERE.

I have used Kinoma 4 EX (full purchased version) for some time now and love it. I have just minutes ago upgraded to 4.5.0 OTA ... YouTube does indeed seem a bit "zippy-er" and a few more bookmarks for "Orb" have been added, but other than that I haven't noticed any real differences yet.

Just my .02... L8R
    installed fine ota, but resets every time I go to register it (as soon as I hit "connect"). Uninstalled/redownloaded it just in case I had a corrupt download, but still no go. Anybody else experiencing problems?
    Looks great. Thanks for the awesome program. I love the Orb integration but it didn't pick up my TV stuff. Any way for that to work? I usually go through Orb in Blazer and run my TV through Kinoma.
    Quote Originally Posted by mcentreville View Post
    installed fine ota, but resets every time I go to register it (as soon as I hit "connect"). Uninstalled/redownloaded it just in case I had a corrupt download, but still no go. Anybody else experiencing problems?
    Installed OTA, never went through a register process, it just maintained registration that was already in place.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
  7.    #7  
    installed fine ota, but resets every time I go to register it (as soon as I hit "connect").
    Do you happen to have a T|X or LifeDrive? If so, does it also happen when the Graffiti/keyboard area is shown?

-- Charles Wiltgen
    Kinoma Notes blog | Subscribe to blog (email) | Subscribe to blog (RSS) | Follow Kinoma for news/content alerts | Follow KinomaTips for tips/tricks
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by bulls96 View Post
    The best reference is the Kinoma Player 4 download page itself:

http://kinoma.com/player4/download/

Since Kinoma Play also supports more advanced codecs than Kinoma FreePlay, you'll also get higher-quality results with Orb (along with random access, which is useful for longer content).

Finally, Kinoma Player 4 will tell you if you try to play something that requires Kinoma Player 4 EX.

-- Charles Wiltgen
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles@Kinoma View Post
    Do you happen to have a T|X or LifeDrive? If so, does it also happen when the Graffiti/keyboard area is shown?

-- Charles Wiltgen
    I'm trying to install on a 650 (on Alltel). I wondered if it was a problem of available ram, but I have close to 10mb before install and hoped that would be enough. Thanks for the great support, btw!
    Check out http://mcentreville.deviantart.com/ for skins and wallpapers for TAKEphONE.
  10.    #10  
    I'm trying to install on a 650 (on Alltel).
    Sorry, I haven't heard of any reports of problems installing on a 650.

Although we don't officially support Kinoma Player 4, if you contact our support folks I'm sure they'll help with your install issue if they can.

-- Charles Wiltgen
    I am not able to update my Kinoma on my pc, when I click on the 'update from your pc' I get redirected to this url: http://www.kinoma.com/index/need-a-product-update which displays 'Uh oh! We can't find that URL on our site.' I do not currently have a data plan, so I can't do it on my 700p.
    Sorry, I haven't heard of any reports of problems installing on a 650.

Although we don't officially support Kinoma Player 4, if you contact our support folks I'm sure they'll help with your install issue if they can.

-- Charles Wiltgen
    Just out of curiosity, I did a hard reset in order to return my Treo to "factory" condition (just in case some other 3rd party software was conflicting with it). I still got the same reset. I took your advice and contacted support, so we'll see what they have to say. Thanks for the help, tho.
    Check out http://mcentreville.deviantart.com/ for skins and wallpapers for TAKEphONE.
  13. UserOne
    Quote Originally Posted by NachoB View Post
    Installed OTA, never went through a register process, it just maintained registration that was already in place.
    ^ Same here... for the person that had the registration issue, I never received a registration screen.

L8R
    Huh, you don't support your own product?
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by broncot View Post
    I am not able to update my Kinoma on my pc, when I click on the 'update from your pc' I get redirected to this url: http://www.kinoma.com/index/need-a-product-update which displays 'Uh oh! We can't find that URL on our site.'
    Fixed, thank you! To install via a PC, you can get the latest installer here:

http://www.kinoma.com/support/update/

-- Charles Wiltgen
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by NachoB View Post
    Huh, you don't support your own product?
    Our support team supports paid products only. But as I said, I'm sure they'll be glad to help with your install issue if they can.

Also, you can also get community-based support even for our free products at forum.kinoma.com.

-- Charles Wiltgen
    Global Posts
    333 Global Posts
    Is there a comparison chart showing the differences between Kinoma Player 4 and Kinoma Player 4 EX? The web page seems to have few specifics on the non-EX version, instead talking mostly about the EX version. I think it would be helpful to see a clear comparison of features.

The Kinoma player that came with my Centro is something like v1.0.4, so I decided to try the free v4. From my quick tests, it looks like it won't play WMA files (all my ripped CDs, because it made generally smaller files than MP3s) or the few ASF videos and one MP4 video file I have on my card. It also won't play any of my playlists -- it seems to see the ones I made in Pocket Tunes, but won't play them; that could be because they're for WMA files, but I think these are separate points. Right now, the free version appears to be of limited use to me, and I'm not sure I'll keep it. Having the comparison chart noted above would help me decide.

On what I think is a related note, what are people's experiences using the TrialPay option on Kinoma's web site? It seems like a nice option, but dealing with trials I don't really want and thus intend to cancel seems like it could get messy. Have people who used this option had any difficulty? Could you recommend any trials/offers that are easier to deal with (less trouble to cancel)? Thanks for your advice.
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dronak View Post
    The web page seems to have few specifics on the non-EX version, instead talking mostly about the EX version.
    I'll second that. All I find is a promotional page for EX stating it does all the free version does plus yada yada... What is the free player capable of?
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    Charles @kinoma posted a few entries above the link to the webpage explaining the difference.
    Global Posts
    333 Global Posts
    If you're talking about this post:
    The best reference is the Kinoma Player 4 download page itself:

http://kinoma.com/player4/download/

Since Kinoma Play also supports more advanced codecs than Kinoma FreePlay, you'll also get higher-quality results with Orb (along with random access, which is useful for longer content).

Finally, Kinoma Player 4 will tell you if you try to play something that requires Kinoma Player 4 EX.
    it doesn't provide what I would call a clear comparison. "Supports more advanced codes" is not unexpected, but it is a vague description -- which codecs are considered advanced, how many more codecs does EX support, which codes are in the non-EX version? "Higher-quality results with Orb...", OK, that is more specific, but nothing terribly unexpected -- apparently regular and EX can do Orb then. And the last paragraph basically just says "try and see" -- if the free version can do it, it will, if not, it won't. That may be true, but saying it's up to the user to use trial and error to figure out what's supported isn't especially helpful. I would really like something more along the lines of, for example, Dataviz's Documents To Go comparison.

P.S. -- Did you go to that web page linked in the post I quoted here? The first thing it says is, "You'll love Kinoma Player 4. But why not have it all? Kinoma Player 4 EX includes everything in Kinoma Player 4, plus lots more..." and then proceeds to talk about EX. I don't think that's sufficient explanation of what the free version does.
    Last edited by Dronak; 10/10/2008 at 02:16 PM.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast