Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I have a 700p and was able to use the thestreamcenter.com, which would open the Kinoma player that came with my Treo.
    Now that I have the new Kinoma, they won't work and when I tried the new Kinoma's radio, it said I had to upgrade.
    Guess, I'll be deleting the new Kinoma.
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    I read the webpage a few days ago. I agree that it's not as clear as a features chart. But I think one can assume that the EX features listed on that page are the main features missing from the free version. Frankly, I'm a little bummed because I already had the paid version. seems like the free version has just about everything I wanted to begin with.
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dronak View Post
    it doesn't provide what I would call a clear comparison. "Supports more advanced codes" is not unexpected, but it is a vague description -- which codecs are considered advanced, how many more codecs does EX support, which codes are in the non-EX version?
    http://kinoma.com/player4/download/ is messaging for mainstream consumers (instead of geeks like us), and is purposely framed in terms of benefits. I don't think it's too hard to translate the list of benefits to features, and I'm happy to answer any specific questions you have.

For example, since it notes that Kinoma Player 4 EX "Play MPEG-4 video", you know that Kinoma Player 4 doesn't include MPEG-4 decoders. Since you know what AAC is, you can translate the "Works with iTunes" benefit to "Kinoma Player 4 EX supports AAC".

"Higher-quality results with Orb...", OK, that is more specific, but nothing terribly unexpected -- apparently regular and EX can do Orb then.
    Yes. The primary difference is that you'll get better results at given bitrates with more the more advanced (meaning "higher efficiency per bit") codecs included with Kinoma Player 4 EX.

And the last paragraph basically just says "try and see"...
    Exactly, the whole point of to get people to try it. If they find it does everything they need, we're very happy with that. For the folks who discover that they need or want to upgrade, we're (of course) happy with that too.

-- Charles Wiltgen
    Kinoma Notes blog | Subscribe to blog (email) | Subscribe to blog (RSS) | Follow Kinoma for news/content alerts | Follow KinomaTips for tips/tricks
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by patchs View Post
    I have a 700p and was able to use the thestreamcenter.com, which would open the Kinoma player that came with my Treo. Now that I have the new Kinoma, they won't work...
    Can you give me an example that plays in Kinoma Media Embedded, but didn't work for you in Kinoma Player 4?

(BTW, Kinoma Guide includes everything listed on thestreamcenter.com, and thousands more stations beyond that.)

-- Charles Wiltgen
    Kinoma Notes blog | Subscribe to blog (email) | Subscribe to blog (RSS) | Follow Kinoma for news/content alerts | Follow KinomaTips for tips/tricks
    How do I get Sprint TV or Blazer to use the Kinoma free version instead of the embedded verson?
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles@Kinoma View Post
    Can you give me an example that plays in Kinoma Media Embedded, but didn't work for you in Kinoma Player 4?

(BTW, Kinoma Guide includes everything listed on thestreamcenter.com, and thousands more stations beyond that.)

-- Charles Wiltgen
    WQAM, WAXY.
    I like the Kinoma that comes with the 700p, a nice product, but radio is all I need it for. The other features of the new free version look promising but if I have to upgrade to listen to radio, then I have to go back to the older version.
    Thanks for the help.
    ...I'm happy to answer any specific questions you have.
    What are the basic advantages of Kinoma Player 4 vs. the free embedded version of Kinoma that comes on a Sprint Centro?
    Same thing here on my Sprint Centro. The free Kinoma Player 4 seems to override the embedded player and blocks access to most of Stream Centers talk stations. I hope this gets resolved soon.

Quote Originally Posted by patchs View Post
    I have a 700p and was able to use the thestreamcenter.com, which would open the Kinoma player that came with my Treo.
    Now that I have the new Kinoma, they won't work and when I tried the new Kinoma's radio, it said I had to upgrade.
    Guess, I'll be deleting the new Kinoma.
    Hello Charles@Kinoma:
    Any update to your free player so that it will no longer interfere with the embedded player? The Stream Center audio and NFL Network video no longer will stream media on the embedded Kinoma player since installing the free player.
    Thank you
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    I see no use for this program. It can't play any of the streams I have tried so far, all of which currently play on the Centro's embedded Kinoma player. It didn't take over streams from the browser which is good I guess since I deleted the new app and my usual streams open in the embedded player just fine. For everything else (basically everything but wma streams) I still prefer PocketTunes. If they would make the EX player play wma streams in the background I'd buy it.
    Last edited by jeff275; 10/13/2008 at 03:40 PM.
  11.    #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by antmelnat View Post
    Any update to your free player so that it will no longer interfere with the embedded player? The Stream Center audio and NFL Network video no longer will stream media on the embedded Kinoma player since installing the free player.
    Can you point me to specific examples?

Also, everything in The Stream Center (which they call TUNED.mobi on mobile) is built into Kinoma Guide at Radio > TUNED.mobi and Search > TUNED.mobi, so using The Stream Center web site is just a slower/clumsier way to get to the same streams.

-- Charles Wiltgen
    Last edited by Charles@Kinoma; 10/13/2008 at 04:17 PM. Reason: Noted that The Stream Center is already built into Kinoma Guide
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff275 View Post
    I see no use for this program. It can't play any of the streams I have tried so far, all of which currently play on the Centro's embedded Kinoma player. It didn't take over streams from the browser which is good I guess since I deleted the new app and my usual streams open in the embedded player just fine. For everything else (basically everything but wma streams) I still prefer PocketTunes. If they would make the EX player play wma streams in the background I'd buy it.

Same here. I tried it out yesterday, and I just went back to pTunes. Still thanks for the free app, I'm sure others will be able to use more then me.

13.    #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by He123321 View Post
    Same here. I tried it out yesterday, and I just went back to pTunes.
    Yes, anybody that needs "background playback" on Palm OS will need to buy and use something else.

Palm OS doesn't support background apps. Although it can be simulated with hacks that work around the OS, they inevitably hurt device stability. To us, that's not an acceptable tradeoff.

Kinoma Play and FreePlay support background playback, and we look forward to a modern successor to Palm OS that will allow us to do the same on Palm OS phones.

-- Charles Wiltgen
    Our support team supports paid products only. But as I said, I'm sure they'll be glad to help with your install issue if they can.
    -- Charles Wiltgen
    I just want to tell everybody that Kinoma's support was tops in helping get the install issue on my Treo 650 resolved. I'm now happily listening to podcasts, thanks to you guys!

Here's to Charles and Brian and all the rest of the support staff at Kinoma
    Check out http://mcentreville.deviantart.com/ for skins and wallpapers for TAKEphONE.
  15.    #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by mcentreville View Post
    I just want to tell everybody that Kinoma's support was tops in helping get the install issue on my Treo 650 resolved. I'm now happily listening to podcasts, thanks to you guys!
    You're very welcome, and we really appreciate your help tracking down the issue!

-- Charles Wiltgen
    Tried it and the first time I didn't know it doesn't play video but when I selected a video option listed under the Kinoma guide (don't recall which one) it gave me a frozen blue screen. I had to take the battery out to reset the phone. After reset, I get the message to upgrade if I want to watch a video. With the audio links, it's hard to tell which links use a format that the free player doesn't support and will only know by trying the link. There are lots of options under the guide to check out.
  17.    #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by DVee View Post
    Tried it and the first time I didn't know it doesn't play video...
    It does play video, with a focus on the few million YouTube videos you can stream on-demand.

...when I selected a video option listed under the Kinoma guide (don't recall which one) it gave me a frozen blue screen.
    If you can find a reproducible case, please let us know. It's unlikely the cause was Kinoma Player 4.

With the audio links, it's hard to tell which links use a format...
    Kinoma Player 4 supports MP3, which is the audio format used by FLV and almost all podcasts.

-- Charles Wiltgen
    The newest Kinoma really works good with TV using Orb. Very stable. The only thing is, when I play a channel, it only plays for about 10 minutes and then goes back to the previous page. I then have to click the channel link again and it goes back to Kinoma and plays again. There is a status bar at the bottom of the Kinoma window that goes up to about 10 minutes. Any way to keep it playing longer than 10? When I am driving and watching a football game, I sometimes miss plays when I have to keep restarting it.
  19.    #39  
    ...the first time I didn't know it doesn't play video...
    Sure it does. Go to Providers > YouTube, and you'll see that even the free Kinoma Player 4 puts millions of videos in the palm of your hand.

...when I selected a video option listed under the Kinoma guide (don't recall which one) it gave me a frozen blue screen.
    If you ever see it again, just let us know so we can try to reproduce it.

-- Charles Wiltgen
  20.    #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by gapost View Post
    The newest Kinoma really works good with TV using Orb. Very stable. The only thing is, when I play a channel, it only plays for about 10 minutes and then goes back to the previous page. I then have to click the channel link again and it goes back to Kinoma and plays again.
    Please report this to our support team so it can be properly tested and tracked.

(For support purposes, it's very helpful if you can create another login/password using the Orb control panel on your PC so that a support engineer can see exactly what you're seeing.)

-- Charles Wiltgen
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast