1.    #1  
    i loaded my 1st product on palmgear and had 20 downloads the 1st day.
    but as yet no one buys it.

http://palmgear.com/software/showsof...8&prodID=20814
    it 9000 pseudonyms with their authors

why don't people pay for sharewear?
    it took hundreds of hours to write, isn't my time worth a few pennies?
    "sharewear"? is that clothing for the cojoined?

seriously, your soft has only been up a couple of days. it's likely to be a week before you see any return.
    plus, it's a database file for another application, which itself costs $25; anyone who doesn't have that will need to pay $35 at least just to be completely legal. That's a little much for publicly accessible information.

just my thoughts, since you asked.
    The light at the end of your tunnel has been disconnected due to non-payment. Please remit funds immediately for restoration of hope.
  3.    #3  
    my thoughts..

if they downloaded it, they have jfile already.
    it's public information but not readily available in an searchable database
    format ANYWHERE on the net.
    i have been collecting these for years.
    you'd not only have to have instant net access
    but know exactly where to look from about 15 different places on the net.
    if you keep it to refer to it, you should pay for it.
    Gee, it's not often a software author can't spell Shareware and then bitches because people are downloading it and haven't registered it. Maybe they found too many spelling errors in the program to find it useful. The strong arm approach doesn't work well with people. People pay for what they find useful and well written. If it is just a database of information they can find elsewhere, or another useless check list that you could do the same with in another program, don't expect the dollars to come rolling in.

You also need to find the price niche. If it is too high, no one will buy it and if it is too cheap, people won't bother. I'm sure someone will find your program useful and send you the 10 bucks. Just don't plan on buying your new car or boat with the profits just yet.
    The following space intentionally left blank...

RadarGreg
    Just a few notes: I'm not trying to lecture you or be rude, but here's what I think:

1. Some people (many?) probably think $10 is too high. You might think about making it $5 if you can.
    2. What kind of restrictions did you put on the unregistered version? It's a bad thing, but people only really buy what they can't get for free. If the registered version is the same as unreg'd, people won't pay. Even if they get free updates, it may not be enough. Maybe something like, 1/4 of the DB is availible for unreg'd, and full is availible reg'd, you'll get more money.
    3. Do you have any competition for it? I wouldn't think so, but you never know. If so, people will go for the competition if it's cheaper.
  6.    #6  
    thanks
    i will change my db to be 1/4 of what it is
    and charge for the rest.
    no i can't make it 5.00
    i ahad to type all those things in...that's 18000 names
    Plenty of people download something, try it, and delete it.
    Jeff
    Global Posts
    191 Global Posts
    Originally posted by molly1216
    thanks
    and charge for the rest.
    no i can't make it 5.00
    Your fingers are probably a little bit tired, which explains your lack of correct spelling and grammer.

I realize I'm a little bit anal in this regard, but I find it annoying to read e-mails or posts where the author doesn't even take the time to spell words correctly, or proof read what they are writing to make sure it makes sense.

You (I assume) want people to READ your posts... you want FEEDBACK from them. Show a *little* consideration by spelling words correctly, using proper punctuation, etc.

Especially when you put out a program which is directly related to authors and writing!

Also, and no offense intended here, but NOBODY CARES how long you spent inputing data/writing your program! If someone finds the cost worth the price, they'll buy it. If they DON'T find it valuable, or worth whatever you are charging, they WON'T BUY IT.

It doesn't matter to the consumer if it took you five minutes or five months to develope.

Sorry, but that's just the fact. (I doubt YOU give much thought to how hard McD's had to work to make your burger... buy the beef, buy the buns, train the pimply faced kid on how to serve it to you... if you like it, you'll buy it. It's just that simple)
  9.    #9  
    Thank you to all and sundry who have offered me input on this topic.
    I am greatful for your opinions as I have only looked at sharewear from the point of view of someone who pays for what they use.
    My apologies to those whom I have offended in the past with my inaccurate spelling or punctuation.

In so far as my grammer sets your teeth on edge, too bad.
    Originally posted by Shel

Your fingers are probably a little bit tired, which explains your lack of correct spelling and grammer.
    Psst....it's actually spelled "grammar".
  11.    #11  
    yes, that was a joke.
    Deleting my comments. Was nothing but an evil worthless flame.
    Last edited by Kintama; 07/29/2001 at 12:42 PM.
    Global Posts
    191 Global Posts
    Originally posted by Thunderbird291

Psst....it's actually spelled "grammar".
    Note to self:

When ******** about someone else's spelling, make sure to spell your own words correctly.....
    thanks
    and charge for the rest.
    I think that's a good plan

no i can't make it 5.00
    How much market research did you actually do before starting this project to determine if it were financially feasible? If you did it to make money, I think you're in for a shock.
    You uploaded the application on July 26th and then complain 2 days later that nobody has registered it yet! Most people try shareware for a longer period before they decide if it's usefull or not. Many people will download the app, try it and then delete it. Some will use it and never pay for it. You should have learned about all of this before embarking on a large project. The ASP site http://www.asp-shareware.org/ has some good advice and here's a neat little faq on the subject: http://www.semicolon.com/ShareSuccess/Shareware1.html

Why do you say you can't make it $5? Have you researched what the average price people are willing to pay for compilations? The fact that you typed 18,000 names should have little to do with how much you charge. The issue here is, how much should you charge in order to generate the most income. Would you rather sell 5 copies at $10, or 500 copies at $2?

I don't have any data, but my gut instinct says you're priced too high. Then again, this seems to me like a real niche market and you may not sell too many copies regardless of the price.

But not all is lost. If nothing else, you've learned a valuable lesson.
    Also, I notice that your readme file states the price as $15.95
    someone once told me that actually paying for shareware is for $ucker$ ... molly1216, i doubt you'll get anything, and even if you do get something, it will not be enough to cover your time expenses ... for you ...

yeah, i wrote that ...