Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Hi there.

My 700p died last week, and I wound up with a Centro (because the local stored didn't have a 755p and I was going out of town and HAD to have something).

To my surprise, I atcually like the smaller form factor, but the battery life - or lack thereof - is a REAL problem for me when I'm on the road, which is fairly frequently. I've searched and read old threads on battery life and extended batteries, but I'm still unclear what my options are.

- are there any extended life batteries which work with it? Most of the threads seem to be suggesting that they DON'T work (or have problems).

- is the Radio Shack xtnded for Centro any good?

- are the cheaper ones on eBay worth investigating, or are those the ones with the problems?

- is an xtnded going to make a significant enough difference to make it worth going that route instead of trading the Centro in for a 755p?

- will a skin cover stretch to fit over the xtnded?

- will the xtnded battery heat up as much as the oem included one?

I like the phone and would actually like to figure out a way to make it work for me, but if I can't get more than current usage out of it, I"ll have no choice but to swap it out. I am a heavy internet user, but I have no pushmail (I check my mail via the web app), no bluetooth and I keep the screen brightness really low in general.

Thoughts? Thanks!
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Bumpity bump... anybody?

And one other question: I note after even more searching and googling this aftenroon that there apppear to be TWO extended batteries, one that fits in the existing slot, and one that requires the shaped cover. Is the smaller one still available? It was "out of stock" on the site I checked.

I'm just getting more and more confused... thanks in advance for any enlightenment (brand names would be great - I've just become hopelessly befuddled by the threads in here and can't tell which batteries of which size have caused problems and which ones haven't and which ones have performed officially up to their spec and which ones are merely better than the original etc etc. HELP!!
    I really think people are getting tired of the battery thing. An extended battery does normally provide better service. I have used extended batteries in my 700P, Centro and now the 800W and have done so successfully.
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Er... ok...

I searched and couldn't find the answers to my specific questions and, since I don't read this forum regularly I'm afraid I'm not au fait with every sub-discussion on batteries in other threads that may have appeared in the last few months. If you know where they are could you point me to threads where I might be able to find the information I need?

The one currently active doesn't address any of these things, and is mostly about batteries which appear to no longer be for sale or which have had problems; I also have seen no reference to the "flat" extended battery which has obviously been available at some point, because I see links to it... but no way of purchasing, and it is still unclear to me if this is the one that has caused people problems.

Sorry if I've somehow offended - I figured since I followed netiquette by searching the forum first and then asking specific questions, somebody might be able to help me find the information I need.
    How about a car charger, or one of those little devices that charges your phone from AA batteries? I have some great NiMH rechargeable AA's, and I would think they would do a great job keeping my Centro going. Even if you need them every day, just charge them at night and your Centro should never run dry.

Of course, you know you can charge it from your laptop's USB port, right?
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    I don't have an extended battery myself. I have purchased an additional 1150mAh Palm OEM battery on ebay for $12 for my Centro. And when I get low on my first battery I swap out. I don't have a cradle to charge the second battery yet since I my normal usage pattern is one full day of use.

- are there any extended life batteries which work with it? Most of the threads seem to be suggesting that they DON'T work (or have problems).

Seidio has two battery options a stock-sized extended runtime 1300 mAh battery (or right about that size) which will give you 20% more runtime. So if you can run 6 hours now you will get an additional 1.2 hours of running. I know MANY MANY people that have the extended OEM size battery for other phones from Seido and have improved performance with no problems. Siedio has a 2600mAh battery with a large battery door replacement. That is over double the stock battery size, so you could get double the time you get with the OEM battery.

- is the Radio Shack xtnded for Centro any good?

I have no experience or have heard anything about them.

- are the cheaper ones on eBay worth investigating, or are those the ones with the problems?

Personally, I have had NO problems with eBay batteries. However, I suppose there is an increased risk of fire or damage to your phone. Cost vs Risk is the decision you have to make on that one.

- is an xtnded going to make a significant enough difference to make it worth going that route instead of trading the Centro in for a 755p?

Yes. From all of the accounts I have read online, it seems the Centro is a better device all-in-all.

- will a skin cover stretch to fit over the xtnded?

I don't think so. Seidio may sell a skin that fits over their larger battery door.

- will the xtnded battery heat up as much as the oem included one?

I would think so, since heat is a function of the current being used.

My thoughts is that your Centro has some program running in the background that is not allowing the device to go to sleep or maybe a defective device since I am a pretty heavy user and make it through the entire day. Search for the file battery.prc to install and check your current stats for your current drain on your Centro. Mine on standby is about 10mA and when talking with the screen on it is about 350-450 mA. Also, battery.prc has a great indicator (with the LED) to show when your device is really asleep. Mine cycles on and off very frequently, from the push email checking.
    Hear more talk about my Centro and other industry news, go to thecellphonejunkie.com for a great weekly cell & smartphone podcast.
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonylmiller View Post
    How about a car charger, or one of those little devices that charges your phone from AA batteries? I have some great NiMH rechargeable AA's, and I would think they would do a great job keeping my Centro going. Even if you need them every day, just charge them at night and your Centro should never run dry.

Of course, you know you can charge it from your laptop's USB port, right?
    Thanks for the response

It's fine on the days I'm using my car to get around - no problem there since I just plug it into the car - it's more on the days I'm gone all day and can't get to an outlet of any kind. Yeah, I could get one of those external battery chargers - I'll have to if necessary - but I was thinking that a longer-lasting battery would be a good place to start since it IS noticeably less useable time than I had on my 700p.

That said, I think I want to solve the battery issue and keep it. Now I'm getting used to it I actually do prefer that it's lighter and more pocketable - I thought i would have the smaller size, but.... guess I was wrong!

In any case, thank you for answering - I appreciate it!
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Thanks Strobey - all very helpful. Will check out battery.prc further.

Btw, does anybody know if there's an app that will show you the battery usage when you're in Blazer (and a clock in blazer, for that matter?). I hate having to log off everything to go to phone and check what time it is, or whether my battery's dropping fast... (problem on the 700p too, I just never got around to asking about it!)

Thanks!
    If you just turn the screen off and back on, the keyguard will show you the time. At least you don't have to exit Blazer and reload.

There are some keyguard replacements which will show the time in large numbers when you press the power button.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    That lack of clock thing annoys me too! I used to have a hackmaster hack back many years ago that used to keep a clock on the screen all of the time and I still miss that. I don't know of any currently available.

As for the battery usage while in blazer, that battery.prc is constantly monitoring while you are using the device with a plot graph (there is an option to poll battery while device is sleeping, which I use to check). Use Blazer for a while then go over to the battery app to see what the plot looks like.
    Hear more talk about my Centro and other industry news, go to thecellphonejunkie.com for a great weekly cell & smartphone podcast.
    Right now on eBay someone is selling a two pack of Centro OEM batteries for $15. Get that and (one or two) external battery chargers for the Centro on eBay and just swap batteries during the day. I just would hate the bigger the battery door on the phone (while in my pocket). But if you don't think the bigger battery door would be an issue, the extended battery would be an easier option (no swapping and waiting for the phone to restart).

I used that method for my i500 for many years (never actually charging the phone).
    Last edited by strobeyprobey; 10/08/2008 at 08:53 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by divamum View Post
    Thanks Strobey - all very helpful. Will check out battery.prc further.

Btw, does anybody know if there's an app that will show you the battery usage when you're in Blazer (and a clock in blazer, for that matter?). I hate having to log off everything to go to phone and check what time it is, or whether my battery's dropping fast... (problem on the 700p too, I just never got around to asking about it!)

Thanks!
    I have a program called Big Clock which is now called 9.95 Clock, but you can use your choice of clocks or apps - that being said if you use DA's also known as Desk Accessories you can map your clock or any app to a hard key and in this example my clock is mapped to my calendar hard key.

In other words I can be in Blazer surfing the web, hit my calender hard key see the time, and then hit my home key and I am right back in Blazer right where I left off.

Do a search on DBLP which is an app launcher and a DA launcher. Then do a search on Accessorizer (by Pruss I think).

A very handy tool.
    www.MouseGlider.com
    Come Glide with Us

Rock Solid and Stable - Sprint Centro and Treo 755p
    agree with strobe to just get 1-2 extra standard ones & swap. i keep one extra charged in my bag and switch them every night. i find its not a huge extra amt of time for the extended (same size ones at least)
    BTW, I am using a new extended Seidio battery (and new battery door), and really am getting more than twice the life from the phone as the OEM battery.

You have to deal with a hump-backed phone that won't fit inside skins, but I don't use skins. It is fully compatible with the Seidio holster, which I do use.

-Warr
    Progress? Well, at least I can get color traffic maps now...
    Psion 3a -> Psion 3c -> Palm IIIXE -> Palm VIIx -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Centro
    The hump back version is also compatible with the Palm horizontal mounted leather case - I used the same case with my 700P, Centro (big hump) and now the 800W (big hump). The extended batteries are excellent and fit the case well.