Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    I was just wondering if anyone has heard of any pending updates to the AT&T Centro to enable 3G speeds or if there is a new version of the Centro in the works? I remember a "leaked" picture of a Centro with a fullscreen front and a side slideout keyboard, but it seemed fake to me. Anyone have any news or rumors on this subject?
    Thanks
    I'm pretty sure you cannot access 3G on ATT, but I may be thinking of something else...

As for that mock-up, it's fake. Made by a college student as a project.
    Quote Originally Posted by toymaker View Post
    I was just wondering if anyone has heard of any pending updates to the AT&T Centro to enable 3G speeds or if there is a new version of the Centro in the works? I remember a "leaked" picture of a Centro with a fullscreen front and a side slideout keyboard, but it seemed fake to me. Anyone have any news or rumors on this subject?
    Thanks
    Sorry to say this but....Palm OS canīt work with GSM 3G. Itīs that simple.
    For a 3G Palm OS Treo we need a NEW OS.
    And "Nova" itīs not coming soon (ŋor later?)

...I want a Palm OS Treo Pro GSM!!!!
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    No new Centro for AT&T this year. Sprint will offer 2 more colors on the Centro line. That's about it.
    Get the latest cell phone news and deals at www.icellphonedeals.com.
    I got my new phones free at bestincellphones.com, where did you get yours?
    Quote Originally Posted by mikecc View Post
    No new Centro for AT&T this year. Sprint will offer 2 more colors on the Centro line. That's about it.
    ...and aren't those colors supposed to be Sprint-only?
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    I think we have basically reached the absolute end of the road for Garnet. Now, Colligan and/or Brown did say that there would be future Palm OS "devices" a few months ago but that could simply be a clever way of saying that GSM & CDMA Centros are still in production and more colors are forthcoming.

Since Garnet's telephony stack cannot support GSM 3G connections and simultaneous voice/data, it's stuck at EDGE for right now.

At best, I could imagine Palm releasing a mildly-revamped Centro 2 for CDMA networks ONLY maybe in spring or summer '09. Since EVDO Rev.A is also beyond the reach of Garnet, the question is if the carriers even want any more new Rev.0 smartphones.

If such a device does come out, I wouldn't count on much more than maybe a switch to microUSB, maybe a beefier battery and possibly a 3.5mm headphone jack and 2megapixel camera. And Palm might tweak the Centro 2 to look a bit more Treo Pro-inspired in its styling. For comparison purposes, think of Palm's incremental upgrades from the Tungsten E to the E2 in 2005.
    Pilot 1000-->Pilot 5000-->PalmPilot Pro-->IIIe-->Vx-->m505-->T|T-->T|T2-->T|C-->T|T3-->T|T5-->TX-->Verizon Treo 700P-->Verizon Treo 755p-->Verizon Motorola Droid + Verizon Centro--> Verizon Motorola Droid X + Palm TX-->Verizon Droid Bionic + Palm TX
    I didn't realize Rev A was beyond the reach of garnet. I thought the debate about Centro having Rev A was about whether or not the chip was equipped for it. Is it really an OS thing or a hardware thing ( too expensive for a $100 after rebate phone)
    Global Posts
    2,486 Global Posts
    Rev0 and RevA are so similar I can't believe it is a Garnet thing. It may be a do as little as possible on Garnet thing, but I doubt it is a fundamental limitation.

Now something like WiFi, from what I understand, hits an OS limitation on # of interfaces, which IMO would involve much more work to support.

I believe you are correct and the RevA limitation is more a chipset limitation than an OS limitation.
    RevA requires simultaneous voice and data. Rev0 does not.

It is very similar to the WiFi issues as it is two datastreams coming in simultaneously.
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    I don't believe rev a does not need to do simultaneous voice and data as a rule.

I think the deal is it can do both IF the carrier moves to use voip for their voice side of cdma.

verizon wasn't going that route last I checked but instead is moving to just go to lte next year or so.
    (in law sells tower gear to vz- last spoke to him about it in spring when xv6800 was getting updated from rev 0 to rev a... so unless things changed....)

don't know about sprint (are they done with their cdma network and moving to wimax now that xohm is up?)

If vz isn't and sprint isn't is there anyone left in US to do it really?
    Global Posts
    2,486 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cavingjan View Post
    RevA requires simultaneous voice and data. Rev0 does not.
    Do you have a reference for this? I'm very doubtful this is a requirement of RevA. I have a couple of RevA phones which don't support this.
    I can't find it right now. I thought I had read that requirement in relation to the GSM technologies. I may just be confusing things in my mind too.