Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    I need to get 2 additional Verizon Treos for staff users. In lieu of the 800, guess I'll get 2 more 755p's. I was just at their site. The only Treo I saw is the 700wx. What happened, are they time travelling?
    Pushing the Boundaries of Disorganization
  2. UserOne
    I believe Verizon discontinued the 755p a while back... so, unless you can find a Verizon store that still has some overstock of them or hit up eBay for one, you may be out of luck on that.

I do notice that eBay has a TON of 755p's for all different carriers. Originally I was skeptical of buying a phone from eBay, but my brother has just purchased a Sprint 755p for $70 bucks and while it is used and a little knicked up, its works just fine.

EDIT >> A quick search on the TreoCentral forums yielded this thread.... CLICK HERE FOR MORE INFO.

Just my .02... L8R
    Last edited by UserOne; 10/01/2008 at 02:10 AM. Reason: Added link to previous post on the topic.
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    Wow, shows how much Ive been paying attention. And when I searched b4 posting, I was looking for Centro vs 755. After that, I dont want Centro, went to VZWs site for Treos and saw only the 700wx, complete with its ext antenna. I dont need 755s bad enough to get company phones off Ebay, just wanted the latest. Centro aside, and for corp users, a phone released 2 years ago with an OS a version back and even older is the best VZW can do? I thought VZW'd have at least the 800. I'd get blackberries-cant b/c dumping all the Treos is expensive and impractical, so would changing carriers . Ive had so many problems with Treos-650/700p/755p, I talked VZW into just giving me a new BB, but didnt do it cause CEO wasnt into it. Wireless sync w/ Exchange is the only reason Ive put up w/ VZWs BS for 3.5 years. Users want smaller, lighter easier, ez-er to use phones which I resisted for stadardizations sake. And I need 2 more now.

Whats an admin to do?
    Last edited by groupsix; 10/01/2008 at 10:39 AM. Reason: sp
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    No new Treos this year for Verizon. If you want something other than the Treo. They will carry HTC Diamond Touch and Blackberry Storm later this year.
    Get the latest cell phone news and deals at www.icellphonedeals.com.
    I got my new phones free at bestincellphones.com, where did you get yours?
    Global Posts
    168 Global Posts
    Palm.com still selling some. I have a co-worker who wanted one and since none at Verizon, he contacted Palm. He was told early last week that they had some in stock (about 85). So he is getting one of those. It is the Verizonized 755p (green).
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    Thats the good news. The bad news is Palm is charging full price-$579. They can keep em. When I called them I was told that they are still in production, not at EOL and that only VZW has discontinued them. That makes sense- "lets dump the phone thats been out 16 months and carry the one thats 2 years old instead." I hate VZW. Got the t-shirt. Honestly, Ive learned to hate Treos. Reboots, resets, freezes etc. Sometimes right out of the sealed factory box. Ive been known to toss mine in disgust. The rubber case helps. Just now I put a phone number in, tapped dial, it did nothing then rebooted. Thats been my experience with the 650-700-755. But Im stuck with them and VZW. It would be so cool if they worked.
    Last edited by groupsix; 10/02/2008 at 11:33 PM. Reason: sp
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    Don't be mad at Verizon. The 755p was basically just a stopgap release for them to bridge the time between the flawed 700p's EOL and the Centro's eventual arrival on Verizon.

Right now Palm has essentially (even if not "officially") EOL'd all Palm OS devices other than the Centro and of course whatever leftover PDA stock they have left. The Treo line is all WinMob from here on out.

I haven't seen a 755p in a Verizon store since early to mid-July, back when they started to blow 'em out at $99 shortly after the Centro arrived.
    Pilot 1000-->Pilot 5000-->PalmPilot Pro-->IIIe-->Vx-->m505-->T|T-->T|T2-->T|C-->T|T3-->T|T5-->TX-->Verizon Treo 700P-->Verizon Treo 755p-->Verizon Motorola Droid + Verizon Centro--> Verizon Motorola Droid X + Palm TX-->Verizon Droid Bionic + Palm TX
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    I understand what you are saying about the 755. My impression of the Centro, also supported by your post a couple days ago, is that it is less corp user oriented, and falls short of the 755 in overall capabilities. I think it looks and feels like a toy or a teen's phone. Not that Im trying to be contrary. So what youre saying is if stuck with VZW, the 700wx is the best I can do at this time?
    I thought verizon would activate sprint phones? Technically you could get a Sprint 755p and activate it on verizon.
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    But they'll get top dollar, right?
    Well, typically speaking I wouldn't buy a new 755p unless you had a nice discounted price to begin with.

I would go the ebay route and just try to find a good condition one that was bought recently (higher chance of Rev B) from a reliable seller.
    Quote Originally Posted by groupsix View Post
    My impression of the Centro, also supported by your post a couple days ago, is that it is less corp user oriented, and falls short of the 755 in overall capabilities.
    How so? The important corporate software on it is actually upgraded versions than the old stuff on the 755. Versamail, Docs to Go, etc.
    Battery life is worse but the software is a huge improvement. Screensize and keyboard size are lateral moves as some like them and some don't.
    Some do like the keyboard, but I would never agree that it's faster to type on or better. You make some hardware sacrifices for the cheaper price.

It's still can be considered a business device for sure, since it's smaller in size, cheaper and has a newer software suite. But I think the reason the Centro is so comparable was because they didn't do enough with the 755p in the first place... The 755p basically ended up barely being a stopgap.
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    Please refer back to this list I came up with off the top of my head last week that compares the strengths & weaknesses of both the 755p & the Centro. Note that I own a Verizon 755p and have extensively used Sprint 755p's and a Verizon Centro, so I'm wel versed in the pros/cons of both:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...11&postcount=4
    Pilot 1000-->Pilot 5000-->PalmPilot Pro-->IIIe-->Vx-->m505-->T|T-->T|T2-->T|C-->T|T3-->T|T5-->TX-->Verizon Treo 700P-->Verizon Treo 755p-->Verizon Motorola Droid + Verizon Centro--> Verizon Motorola Droid X + Palm TX-->Verizon Droid Bionic + Palm TX
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by papped View Post
    The 755p basically ended up barely being a stopgap.
    Yeah, but wasnt that what was said about the 700p?
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by papped View Post
    The 755p basically ended up barely being a stopgap.
    Yeah, but wasnt that what was said about the 700p? It seems like they never get right. Engadget said it all.
    Lol my favorite part is the "make it look nice", then they come out with the 800w....