1.    #1  
    i need to do a hard reset on my treo 700p and i've been searching this forum for instructions. i see a lot of recommendations to use a back up software. couldn't you just hot sync following the reset - of course with desktop overrides handheld set? or am i missing something? also, are there particular files and/or programs that won't be reinstalled? will i also have to reinstall the MR Sprint update?

thanks so much for the help and any advice---
    You can hot sync, however, if you need to restore the device, you cannot unless you have the desktop/laptop with you. The over the air backup solutions offered sound nice, but if you are in a signal inhibited area (lousy service) or weak signal or no signal area, then you will quickly find out YOU CANNOT restore the device. A device based backup application that backs up to the card is really the most desirable method.
  3.    #3  
    thanks for the info-
    right now i need to do a hard reset to get pdanet working again and will be able to do a hotsync - i can see your point about having a backup program just as a precaution - but in my current example would there be any benefit to using a backup as opposed to hotsync? if so can you recommend a backup program?
    thanks again!
    Check out NVBackUp or Resco. I lost my 700p last May. I had hot synced recently, but when I got the replacement phone I wished that I had listened to wiser folks on this forum and used backup software. I use some 3rd party software that doesn't sync, so that info was lost.

Now I use NVBackUp and Butler for it's ability to wipe my data should I lose the phone again. And I say a big thank you for some good advice from others on this forum.
  5.    #5  
    just tried out NVBackUp - worked perfectly - thanks so much !
    Once I got into the habit of setting the device up to do an automagical daily backup at a magical time, I skipped the backup to the desktop ritual. Of the 2, the device based/card method is far more reliable to execute and far more reliable to restore from.

As the above states, NVBackup works well. The one I used due to a few more options: Resco Backup. The developer of NVBackup and the Resco people worked together to produce Resco Backup. Both are good, both are reliable.

Quote Originally Posted by eddieras View Post
    thanks for the info-
    right now i need to do a hard reset to get pdanet working again and will be able to do a hotsync - i can see your point about having a backup program just as a precaution - but in my current example would there be any benefit to using a backup as opposed to hotsync? if so can you recommend a backup program?
    thanks again!