1.    #1  
    I have been wanting to explore stereo bluetooth to be able to switch between music and calls and I know I have seen some good info on the boards. I kept putting it off because the decision on what to buy still seemed confusing and I just kept using my corded treo headset. But I lost my headset this week on a trip to Mexico and now I miss listening to my audiobooks and podcasts on my commute! But I can't seem to find the posts I had previously read on this topic.

Anyone willing to make suggestions and talk me through what I need to do? I have 755p from sprint. I use pockettunes to play my books, music, podcast. I hear everyone discuss SAG. Do I need it and if so where do I get it? Do I need anything else?

Any suggestions on which headsets are compatible and work well? Best buy only had the motorola s9, which seemed interesting. But I remember several other interesting models mentioned on the boards.

I apologize in advance if this is too basic for many. I have looked all over but remain confused and likely will buy online for best price I can't afford to make a mistake.

Thanks, Lisa.
    You only need SAG if you want to listen to audio by Bluetooth wireless - if you use wired headsets than you do not need SAG.

That being said,SAG is a bit unstable, I would only recommend it if the user were a tweaker per say someone that can trouble shoot if somethings goes wrong and doesn't mind fiddling with it. I would never put SAG on my wifes Centro, I know she would have more problems with it than it is worth.

My .02 cents worth. Good Luck!
    www.MouseGlider.com
    Come Glide with Us

Rock Solid and Stable - Sprint Centro and Treo 755p
  3. UserOne
    I just recently went down this same road of stereo bluetooth, listening to podcasts-music-etc over bluetooth, and SAG... so, I can atleast attempt to help ya as best I can.

MouseGlider is correct in that SAG is not incredibly stable... I'm not sure if it's SAG itself or the other program you run with it (i.e. pTunes, Kinoma, etc.), but regardless you are bound to suffer more resets and little silly issues with SAG than not. With that said tho, I do NOT feel that SAG's occasional instability should completely scare you away from using it entirely... just know what your getting into.

My current setup is a Sprint 755p running the Sprint 1.07 firmware with the OEM (free) version of Pocket Tunes, Kinoma 4 EX (purchased full version) and SAG (just the free trial version at the moment). I currently use the Motorola S9 headset that you mentioned above as my stereo bluetooth headset. Personally, I love the freedom the "untethering" of bluetooth gives me while still allowing me to listen to my podcasts & music.

With that out of the way here is what I have learned:

- While the S9 is a very lightweight headset (you'll barely feel it on your head), it does cause some pressure points over long listening sessions (i.e. 2+ hours) and you'll more than likely feel some pressure / soreness on your ears until you get used to the headset.

- Another issue / pet peeve I have with the S9 is that bluetooth telephone calls are only in mono... you only hear the conversation in the left earpiece. While the sound quality is still good, its just kind of annoying IMO. I have also heard complaints online about the S9's microphone (since it does not have a boom mic), however I have not experienced this issue with mine. My conversations are free of "you sound like your in a tin can" or "I can't hear you" kinds of comments so far .

- The only reason I mentioned what firmware my 755p was running on Sprint above is according from what I've heard / read the updated 1.07 firmware supposedly fixes some issues with bluetooth headsets. I don't know if this is true or not... never used bluetooth on my older 1.04 firmware.

- Bluetooth eats up some extra power. Its nothing overly dramatic, but you definitely will not get the same battery time you were getting on your corded headset if you use the bluetooth for any appreciable amount of time. Personally, I have exacerbated the power usage issue by also streaming a podcast or online radio station to the phone & listening to it thru bluetooth. A constant internet connection streaming music combined with the bluetooth connection does drain my stock OEM battery quite effectively .

- One trick I've done to get around the battery life issue is to plug in the Treo while I listen at the office, home or in the car. With the bluetooth headset on you are free to simply plug in the Treo and leave it in your cupholder in your car or on your desk and you are still able to walk around & move freely without worry of getting tangled up in some wires.

Alright I think I have written enough for ya to read for now hehe. Feel free to ask any questions you may have... I'll try to help ya out as best I can.

Just in case you want some more reading material on the topic , here are some links that have helped me:

- A2DP Compatible headsets:
    http://www.a2dp.info/A2DP-Devices/A2...eadphones.html

- More A2DP Information:
    http://www.a2dp.info/

- Softick's Audio Gateway site:
    http://softick.com/bluetooth-audio/

L8R
  4.    #4  
    Thanks MouseGlider and UserOne. MouseGlider I have noticed the negative comments about SAG but I think I am willing to be more involved to gain the freedom of wireless.

UserOne. Thanks for all the info. Finally basic helpful info in one place! I kind of want the S9 so I could use it running, walking, hiking. But I also know my most common use will be driving in my car. I would like it to be comfortable for hours BUT frankly the palm corded set I have used til now hurt my ears with any prolonged use. Am I underestimating this factor?
    Quote Originally Posted by lisaflores View Post
    MouseGlider I have noticed the negative comments about SAG but I think I am willing to be more involved to gain the freedom of wireless.
    I have very few problems with SAG. It is well worth those to have the facility of bluetooth stereo available to me between wireless calls. Considering that it was considered impossible with Palm OS, I think that Softick have done a great job.
  6. UserOne
    Quote Originally Posted by lisaflores View Post
    UserOne. Thanks for all the info. Finally basic helpful info in one place! I kind of want the S9 so I could use it running, walking, hiking. But I also know my most common use will be driving in my car. I would like it to be comfortable for hours BUT frankly the palm corded set I have used til now hurt my ears with any prolonged use. Am I underestimating this factor?
    Personally, the slight discomfort I get from the prolonged use of the S9's is not enough for me to stop using them or even go look for a different headset... its really not that bad IMO & I seem to be getting used to them over time (I've had the S9's for 2 weeks now). Of course, what one person finds acceptable may be intolerable to another, so I'm afraid the comfort issue is going to be one of personal preference & vary from person to person.

One thing I would recommend is looking at TigerDirect.com or CompUSA computer retail stores or even Amazon.com if you decide to go with the S9 for a OEM "white box" version. After seeing the S9 for $129 at the local Best Buy, I went to a CompUSA in the area (which is now owned by online store TigerDirect) and found a OEM version for $40. The OEM obviously does not have the retail packaging, but included everything else (Charger, Replacement Earbuds, Manual, etc.) for alot less cash.

Just my .02... L8R
    I have the same setup as UserOne. The only real issues I've had were some random lockups & some general slowness while streaming. Curiously, it's only while using Ptunes. Kinoma runs just pretty good. My only HUGE gripe is that we have to PAY to be able to stream. Boo-urns.

Plantronics makes a GREAT pair of bluetooth headphones. I used to have the Pulsar 260's & then some d-bag stole them so I had to go back to my S9's. Grrr.
    I just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance by fleeing the scene of the accident!
    KabukiAssassin,

Funny - I have more problems with Kinoma and SAG then with Ptunes and SAG.
    www.MouseGlider.com
    Come Glide with Us

Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    I have very few problems with SAG. It is well worth those to have the facility of bluetooth stereo available to me between wireless calls. Considering that it was considered impossible with Palm OS, I think that Softick have done a great job.
    johncc,

My only problem with SAG is trying to get it to connect - but after it connects - it works great - but it took a lot of playing around and understanding its quirks to make it work correctly - I do agree that SAG did do a wonderful job making it work with Palm OS.

I hope they still try to continualy improve SAG and not let it stop at 1.22.xxxx.

lisaflores - seems like you are willing to take a step to the dark side - when it works, it wroks very well! Good luck!
    www.MouseGlider.com
    Come Glide with Us

My 2 cents....

For headsets I have heard people like the jbird or whatever they are called.

I personally use Sag version 1.20 (had issues with 1.22) on my Sprint 755p with a Jabra BT8010 and have had no real problems. 1 out of 10 ties I'll have to tap stream to bluetooth button twice but thats usually it. Once in a while it will not connect and say I need to reset the device.

As far as while its being used and the controls are great. When im out for a walk I can just tap the headset and pase play skip forward without pulling my Treo out of its holster. When I receive a call i switches to a call and comes back to the music about 10 seconds after the call ends. Not bad really. (the centro comes back quicker though)

I also have SAG on my wifes Centro with a JabraBT8040 and it works even better than on the 755. It connects everytime and swithching between calls and music is very fast. I would say about 5 seconds after the call ends you are back to listening o your music. The Centro is also using version 1.20. I figured after I had so many problems with the 1.22 version not connecting I figured if it wasnt broke I wasnt gonna fix it. Oh it also works well on the car stereo to stream calls/music too.

Mouseglider...

have you tried version 1.20?

I had all kind of connection problems with 1.22 It would take 3-4 tries to connect and even after it did it streamed no music. After going back to version 1.20 no problems really. Plus the SAG DA's work well too.
    OLD HATCH,

No I haven't had time to try 1.20 (but at least I have the file) so when I get time I'll probably try it. Actually my only problem with 1.22.xxx is when I try to connect - comes up with a few different standard errors, but all I have to do is keep hitting "ok" or "quit" button and all works fine - when it is really stubburn, it takes 6 tries, the best has been 2 times and a few times on the first try which is Very Seldom.

I kind of like the quick launcher also but will probably end up trying 1.20 sometime - question for you though - do you always leave your SAG on? I only turn mine on when I use it - it does switch back to music when I end a call and works normally, but it sometimes is unstable, so I only use it when I what to, otherwise I do not keep SAG loaded all day long.

I think in my case the instability comes from Palm OS BT stack as sometimes if I have the Bluetooth on and nothing paired to it sometimes very seldom will reboot by itself. I have to admit though it might be from some of my wireless stuff, i.e. keybd, mouse, access point, etc. because that is when it reboots itself if at all.
    www.MouseGlider.com
    Come Glide with Us

No I only have it on when I'm using it. (going for a walk etc) Sag hogs up all the processor power and makes thing run slow. I couldnt imagine having my Treo run that way all day long. One thing I can say for SAG is that they got bluetooth right! I can literally be a good 30 ft away with a in home wall in the way and will still get sound.(one time I was a good 45 ft away from my Treo in a grocery store and no probs, it was a straight shot though) Unlike palms attempt that I cant even walk 10 ft away without getting static.

I kinda liked the quicklaunnch featuer but since I use DA Launcher I can use the SAG DA's to turn it on and off wherever I am at so its not biggie.

One thing is I think the 1.22 version actually worked better on my 700p than the 1.20 version. On my 755 its not the case though.
    Quote Originally Posted by MouseGlider View Post
    Funny - I have more problems with Kinoma and SAG then with Ptunes and SAG.
    For most, Kinoma Player 4 EX seems to work as well with SAG as any other apps. I'm sorry we weren't able to get to the bottom of this for you.

FWIW, I can say that our support team worked really hard to try to reproduce your issues. We're still very interested to hear how it'd work after a grade-and-pave (to at least temporarily rule out interference from other apps).

-- Charles Wiltgen
    Kinoma Notes blog | Subscribe to blog (email) | Subscribe to blog (RSS) | Follow Kinoma for news/content alerts | Follow KinomaTips for tips/tricks
    Hello Charles,

At our last conversation, I had trouble not only making Kinoma play thru the whole song that I sent you without a hiccup which you were able to reproduce on your test grade and paved system and btw does not hiccup in PocketTunes, my system would sometimes not even make it thru the whole song and then lock up.

Since then I have added some new programs to my system the way it was (no grade and pave) but simply just adding on to what I have to my already stable system with no problems with any of my "many apps whether paid or free", and out of curiousity from time to time I would try SAG with Kinoma to see if adding these programs made it worse or better as that was the "only fault" that I had. To my suprise, just adding some new programs (ok maybe a lot like 14), I still have the hiccup in most of my mp3's when using SAG - but no problems if I do not use SAG, but at least I have no more reboots when using SAG/Kinoma/mp3, just the same small hiccups you were able to reproduce. As a reminder SAG and Kinoma only has hiccups on most of my mp3's, but not podcasts or Youtube while using SAG which were I would expect it to have trouble being that it is both video and audio. In fact, I just listened to two TreoCentral podcast via Kinoma/SAG totaling an hour and a half with absolutely flawless results.

It seems that these extra programs that I have added may have pushed the memory that Kinoma normally uses into a different region that Kinoma likes better.

FYI, the programs that I have added in no particular order were; On Demand to Pocket Express upgrade, RDM plus v3.7.3, EasyNotes v2.02, TV Guide, MoePaint v1.1, NinerJot v1.1, keyguardEXT v1.2.1, WatchM v1.53, BluePill v1.1.3, PdaReach v1.55, PowerRun v1.31, PowerDict v2.0, HardBall, SubHunt.

FYI my free memory before these programs that I recently added was about 30mb, with these new programs that I have added I have 34mb free. The reason that I have more memory left after adding all these programs is because of PowerRun which allowed me to move both the application and data to my external memory card which happens to be a Kingston 4gb class 6 card.

As far as I'm concerned my system works perfect and is rock solid except as I have mentioned above. Hows that for a summary.

Edited: a more complete list of what 3rd party programs I have installed with absolutely no compatibility problem or slow downs with each other at all that I have emailed you.
    Last edited by MouseGlider; 09/30/2008 at 06:29 AM.
    www.MouseGlider.com
    Come Glide with Us

15. UserOne
    Just my .02 real quick... I frequently use Kinoma 4 EX (full purchased version) with SAG with no problems. I typically listen to online / streaming podcasts, but do occasionally switch to mp3's. I do have some third-party apps on my Treo, but no where near as many as listed above by MouseGlider .

Just my experience with it. L8R.
    UserOne,

The only problem I have with Kinoma when using SAG is a slight hiccup while playing some mp3's, but will play fine without SAG. Kinoma will play Podcasts and Youtube audio/video perfectly with or without SAG.

That being said PocketTunes has no problem playing the same mp3'd with or without SAG.

As you can tell from my long list of 3rd party apps that I edited out, for such a "small problem" I am not willing to reinstall each app and test Kinoma after each install - it would take to long - besides Kinoma can reproduce my problem on "their" system so I am not sure that it would help to do their recommended grade and pave.

It may be that Kinoma when using SAG can not smoothly play some of my mp3' because the bitrate or processor requirements might be too high? Not really a problem for me as I use PocketTunes when I play mp3's with SAG since I can multitask and do other things while I am listening to mp3s with no problems at all.
    Last edited by MouseGlider; 09/30/2008 at 06:43 AM.
    www.MouseGlider.com
    Come Glide with Us

As I've mentioned in other threads, I have problems when streaming internet audio via Kinoma and listening to it through stereo Bluetooth headphones by way of Softick Audio Gateway (SAG).

I don't stream internet audio via Ptunes and I've had no significant issues using SAG and Ptunes. SAG and Kinoma frequently result in lost Bluetooth connections, spontaneous resets, necessary manual resets, unsuccessful switching from Bluetooth stereo audio to Bluetooth phone calls, and other problems.

As a result, when convenient, I use wired earbuds to listen to internet content via Kinoma. Otherwise, I hope for the best and use Kinoma and SAG with my Motorola S9 or Motorola HT820 stereo Bluetooth headphones. The former is lightweight and thin, so I tend to use it when cycling or when I don't want a heavy/large burden around my neck. The latter cups my ears better and can be more comfortable, at times.

Also, the HT820's let you hear your callers in both ears, instead of just one (like the S9), which makes it easier to hear without having to crank the volume up too high (and risk one's hearing).

Still, I'd recommend either. Good luck.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.