Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    Trying to find a browser that supports more media sites than built in browser.
    Yeah, but OM is somewhat unstable thanks to Palm's discontinued and terrible JVM.
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by papped View Post
    Yeah, but OM is somewhat unstable thanks to Palm's discontinued and terrible JVM.
    Ugh. Any other choices to get a "better" web experience?
    What type(s) of media? We might be more help if we knew the specifics.
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonylmiller View Post
    What type(s) of media? We might be more help if we knew the specifics.
    For starters a web/chat client is meebo.com. Says requires javascript.
    I tried Xiino for a little while... it was kind slow... did almost everything from the memory card...
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    Opera mini is not ready for prime time on Palm OS

Well for Chat you can use
    Gizmo projecy (free)
    Webmessenger (free)
    Mundu (around $10 but looks cool)
    All of those are multi protocol chat messengers.

I have found, however, that one does need Java VM to get a decent twitter capability (by using jibjib)
    Im using the latest (4.1) german version of opera mini on a treo 650, apart from occasional freezes it works fine i even can access gmail. I tried it a few times on the new centro of my wife and it works even better. I installed the jvm files:J9JavaVMMidp20.prc, the german J9JavaVMMidp20_de.prc and JavaVMCheck_deDE.prc and file connect (the last one is necessary for saving pages). Of course you have to choose the corresponding files for the english or any other language you like.

I hope, it will work for you as well
    I too am happily using Opera Mini 4.1 on my centro.

On my 650, the built-in version of Blazer was so slow and stupid that OM was really a necessity. On my Centro, I found that Blazer is good enough and fast enough that I rarely go to OM anymore.

Still, for those websites for which there is no good mobile alternative, or for graphics-heavy sites, I find Opera Mini works wonderfully, if somewhat quirky at times...

-Warr
    Progress? Well, at least I can get color traffic maps now...
    Psion 3a -> Psion 3c -> Palm IIIXE -> Palm VIIx -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Centro
    Quote Originally Posted by zeph View Post
    apart from occasional freezes it works fine i even can access gmail.
    Why risk your SMARTPHONE freezing by checking your email online when you can just use a stable, faster built-in email app like the phone was made to do..?
    Quote Originally Posted by fstopstigmata View Post
    Why risk your SMARTPHONE freezing by checking your email online when you can just use a stable, faster built-in email app like the phone was made to do..?
    Good point. But I was referring to the treo 650, which hasn`t got enough RAM (better, but still instable with hacks like UDMH). On the centro, using opera mini, I could not get the device to crash even when scrolling through pages which were not loaded completely. And to my knowledge the internal email app is not able to receive mail from webaccounts.
    Ah, I see what you mean about the 650, I assumed you meant the Centro. But yes, internal apps receive email from your account. You can make it check at certain increments, like every hour, or you can have it just push in whenever a new message is received. How would you check your mail if it couldn't receive mail?
    Quote Originally Posted by fstopstigmata View Post
    Ah, I see what you mean about the 650, I assumed you meant the Centro. But yes, internal apps receive email from your account. You can make it check at certain increments, like every hour, or you can have it just push in whenever a new message is received. How would you check your mail if it couldn't receive mail?
    Thanks for your comment, learned something new. I always thought, checking googlemail accounts works only via internet and untill now I never tried out versa mail (the internal app on treo).
    Where can opera mini be downloaded from?
    I've never been able to get it too work which is a shame because I had it on another phone and it was excellent!
    I just successfully downloaded OM on my Centro and it works OK.

You have to find the Java software and download J9JavaVMMidp20.prc and JavaVMCheck.prc as Zeph said above (the English versions do not have DE at the end). Make sure you download those FIRST. I also downloaded two files for internet browsing that were in the JVM package, too (I think in the folder marked 152, sorry, it's on the other computer or I'd check for you), and the golf scoring sample to make sure JVM was working before installing OM. Then I downloaded OM, and it works.

I got OM free on Handago.com because it states that download is specifically for Centro (but doesn't tell you that you need JVM for it to work). But you can also get it free from the Opera Mini website--I just don't know what version to tell you to download.

I'm still trying OM out and I'm not sure if I like it that much. It may be that it just doesn't work that great on the Centro.

One more hint--as soon as you get OM working on your Centro, make sure you go into the settings and choose "mobile view"--It seems to freeze up more on the regular view.

Oh, and JVM and OM will NOT work on the SD card. You have to load them into RAM.