Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    Ok.here's the deal; I got my Centro yesterday and I have a headache already! This is my first web-connected device; I came from an HP iPaq that was not connected to the web, but I used it extensively for data and games. I do not know how to download and install programs for my Centro. I did it all the time with my iPaq, but it was a different OS. I have a 1 GB micro card installed in it also. If anyone can give me some direction it will be highly appreciated!! Thanx all!!
    My first suggestion is read your Users Manual, probably a couple of times. That will give you the conceptual knowledge of how the phone works. If you have questions, ask them here. Then for specific things, search this forum. It's so full of info and help, if you can't find it here it probably doesn't exist.

My advice is don't immediately load the phone with other software. Run it plain vanilla until you learn the basics and how the phone acts. Then add software individually, backing up before. Avoid the hard reset experience! Although in the very beginning it's not a bad idea to put in some test stuff (PIM and/or software) and test out the hard reset. Then should you ever have to do it, you are familiar with it.

Welcome to the fun world of smartphones. Have fun!
    There is also a series of Beginner articles here on TC.
    And do not forget the wonderful world of file transfers and syncing via USB - what a pain; I use Bluetooth almost exclusively. Once set up properly it works every time.
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    Not sure what you mean by a "web-connected device," given your previous post in another thread that talked about not wanting a data plan.

Do you mean connected via a data plan? Or connected via hotsync cable to a USB port on your computer?

Are you able to hotsync yet? (That is the method to connect to the web via your PC.) If so, PalmHead gives good advice above about not rushing to add programs. Some might make your Centro unstable, and you want to know which ones do that, so adding one at a time (maybe one every two days) is good advice.

Poster oronzous, in the thread about 5 must-have apps, had great advice:
    "first you REALLY need only 2 apps:

1- a back up. It could be NVbackup or Resco Backup
    2- an unistaller. It could be Northglide's Unistaller or Destaller

after that you can try everything suggested in this thread"

NVBackup and Destaller Lite are free and stable on a Centro.

In order to install programs that you've downloaded to your PC, they usually have instructions in a readme file, or on the web page that you downloaded from. If you double-click on a .prc file, it automatically opens the Palm Desktop to the Install function, where the .prc (an executable/program, like an .exe on a PC) is ready to be installed the next time you hotsync. Similar with double-clicking on a .pdb file.
    Installing and running apps from the sd card isn't exactly straight forward though (also some apps don't function exactly-as-desired when run off the sd card). Expect some learning curve and error.

Zlauncher (3rd party launcher) and Powerrun are two apps that can help this a bit.
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    Not sure what you mean by a "web-connected device," given your previous post in another thread that talked about not wanting a data plan.
    I did indeed subscribe to a web and email data plan, so it is all new to me. I have done a hot sync already and it went well. I want to put a Bible program on it and an instant messenger program also. I appreciate you explaining what a .prc file is; I am well aquainted with .exe files. I am going to sit and play with my new toy right now!!
    Quote Originally Posted by debe View Post
    I want to put a Bible program on it
    Here's how you could address that desire. Click on the search tab above, select advanced search, in the Search by Keyword panel put bible in the keyword field, select Search Titles Only and click on [Search Now]. Hey presto - 35 threads on the subject.
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    Thanks so much, all!! Johncc, I need to tell you that I am blonde! Thanks for the tip on the Bible search!
    Quote Originally Posted by debe View Post
    I did indeed subscribe to a web and email data plan, so it is all new to me. I have done a hot sync already and it went well. I want to put a Bible program on it and an instant messenger program also. I appreciate you explaining what a .prc file is; I am well aquainted with .exe files. I am going to sit and play with my new toy right now!!

Highly recommend Olivetree.com for Bible reader software and various free versions. I put the reader software on the phone and the versions of the bible on the SD card.
    Read the manual that came with your Centro and search the forums.