1.    #1  
    I've been looking through this and other forums. It seems that using a stereo headset on a Centro is gamble. I have tried two Centro phones, two adapters and two stereo headset with 2.5 mm jacks , one of which was from the Verizon store where I got the Centro. All of them have had sound in only one ear. With the adapters I could get stereo if I played with the jack some. An old wired mono headset works fine.

Is this really the case? Or does the Centro have a unique jack requiring a specific adapter or headset?

Chuck
    Global Posts
    554 Global Posts
    just get the cheapest adapter they sell on treocentral, works great for me with anything I plug into it
    Ebay a stereo Bluetooth headset. I got my LG HBS-200 for $25, it sounds great, is very convenient & strong-signaled, and the battery life is amazingly good. Plus you can use it for talk and voice dial, too.
    Global Posts
    554 Global Posts
    you need softick audio gateway to make stereo bt work, since centro doesn't support it out of the box
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    I have found that if the adapter or headphone plugs have two spacers (?) in them they work fine. Some have three and I got sound in only one ear. I think I read somewhere about contact surfaces in the phone connector lining up correctly with the headphone plug contact surfaces or something along that line... I'm no electronics tech.

I also had to trim the plastic on the L shaped adapter I have where the metal plug comes out to allow it to seat completely. The raised boss around the Palm connector kept the headphone adapter from seating completely.
    Last edited by dbrad4d; 09/25/2008 at 08:45 AM. Reason: Added moe info
  6.    #6  
    I did check that the phone case didn't interfere with the adapter connection.

I ordered the three connector adapter from TreoCentral, the connectors on the adapters I've tried all have four connectors. Hopefully that will be the magic trick. (I determined it was a three connector by the picture, I don't think the description mentions it.)

The Bluetooth thing is interesting, but I want to plug the output into my car audio.

If anyone wants to amuse themselves, take this issue to your nearest Verizon shop. The tech told me it wasn't a stereo phone. After I pointed out the specs, he tried convince me that the Centro speaker was stereo, but the connector was mono.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cshell View Post
    After I pointed out the specs, he tried convince me that the Centro speaker was stereo, but the connector was mono.

Thanks
    Unfortunately, I believe that may indeed be the case. That's why you need an adapter to hear stereo in your headphones. I could be wrong though (wouldn't be the first time).
    Whoever said nothing is impossible never tried slamming a revolving door.
    Quote Originally Posted by phwelo View Post
    you need softick audio gateway to make stereo bt work, since centro doesn't support it out of the box
    Thanks, I forgot to mention that little factor. =D

I have found that if the adapter or headphone plugs have two spacers (?) in them they work fine. Some have three and I got sound in only one ear. I think I read somewhere about contact surfaces in the phone connector lining up correctly with the headphone plug contact surfaces or something along that line... I'm no electronics tech.
    The ones that have two are what you need. That's one ring for each 'side' of sound. Adapters with a third ring on them are made for headphones with a microphone built in, which you'd use for talking, but the size difference makes it really hard to line up & sound right when you want to just use it for audio output such as in you car (I use mine in my car and it sounds AMAZING when you use the right adapter).
  9.    #9  
    I wanted to post an update for anyone looking for a headset adapter. I just received the Smartphone Experts Stereo Adapter for Centro from TreoCentral (Part# A337) and it works. I don't know what the difference is, but there must be something different.

Thanks everyone.

PS: I also highly recommend the Seidio 2-in-1 Pen Stylus for Centro. It's nice to have a stylus that's not bending in my hand.
    I have the same problem with the one I got from Radio Stack. It also has 3 conductors on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by cshell View Post
    After I pointed out the specs, he tried convince me that the Centro speaker was stereo, but the connector was mono.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Elfyn View Post
    Unfortunately, I believe that may indeed be the case. That's why you need an adapter to hear stereo in your headphones. I could be wrong though (wouldn't be the first time).
    You are! The adaptor is used to convert from the Treo's 2.5 mm 4 conductor socket (which provides mic, left and right audio and ground) to whatever is on your headset/phones. Stereo is definitely available from the connector. There is only 1 speaker so obviously that's mono.
    Last edited by johncc; 10/04/2008 at 12:13 AM.
    The relative spacing of the connections has some minor variation among different phones. Plug manufacturers make different plugs. If you plug in the 3 spacer/4 metal section adapter and get only mono then it's not lining up well. It's always best to test it at the store first or get something that's been tested for the Centro.
    The stereo sound is great with the correct adapter.
    I'm a bit late to the party, but I was noticing that I only got sound out of one side of my headphones and looking for a solution when I stumbled on this thread.

I do indeed have a 3-spacer stereo headphone adapter which it is suggested will not work for stereo. But before spending MORE money on yet another adapter (I have 3 already) I decided to experiment by pulling the adapter back a little bit to see if I could get it "lined up" better and VIOLA! great stereo sound came out.

You almost have to pull it back two little "clicks". The first small increment makes the sound almost inaudible, the second gets you to stereo sound.
    In the right position I'm able to see about 1 mm of the metal plug between the plastic housing and the headphone jack opening.

It looks like this solution won't work if I'm moving around because the plug could easily be jostled out of position, but it's good enough for listening if I'm relatively inactive.

Guess I'll have to pony up for one with 2 spacers for heavy-duty listening, but at least I have stereo sound now.