1.    #1  
    Guys,

Can anyone tell me if there are any significant differences between the version of PocketTunes (4.0.4) that comes with my Verizon Centro and the commercial version of PocketTunes Deluxe, and if so, what they are?

Thanks,
    Warr
    Progress? Well, at least I can get color traffic maps now...
    Psion 3a -> Psion 3c -> Palm IIIXE -> Palm VIIx -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Centro
    Says the differences on the website:

Pocket Tunes Basic $19.95
    Pocket Tunes Basic provides playback of MP3, WAV, and Ogg Vorbis files, including background playback so you can play music while you use other applications, customizable skins, full playlist capabilities, album art, a graphic equalizer, and much more! Pocket Tunes Basic includes free updates to all future 4.X versions of Pocket Tunes Basic, when available.

Pocket Tunes Deluxe $37.95
    Pocket Tunes Deluxe includes all the features of Pocket Tunes Basic and adds WMA and AAC/aacPlus playback, online music store support, crossfading, gapless playback, bookmarks, and Internet audio. Pocket Tunes Deluxe includes free updates to all future 4.X versions of Pocket Tunes Deluxe, when available.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks. The problem is that the OEM version doesn't call itself "Basic" or "Deluxe," just "PocketTunes."

Thanks,
    Warr
    Psion 3a -> Psion 3c -> Palm IIIXE -> Palm VIIx -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Centro
    Global Posts
    333 Global Posts
    I've upgraded mine to 4.0.7, but in the About screen, it's called "Deluxe".
    I could be wrong, but I don't think they bundle the Deluxe versions in any of the ROMs.
    Quote Originally Posted by papped View Post
    I could be wrong, but I don't think they bundle the Deluxe versions in any of the ROMs.
    pTunes 4.0.4 Deluxe was bundled in the Sprint Centro ROM. So far, pTunes went thru v 4.0.5, 4.0.6 and 4.0.7 deluxe versions and all were free upgrades for the Sprint Centro.

I don't know about the Verizon Centro version, but the ATT Centro was a purchase for pTunes upgrade due to the Media Net thing agreement.

Well I guess it's the usual confusing, carrier + phone dependent mess then
    I thought all the centros came with deluxe, att & vzw & sprint.
    I also have upgraded mine to 4.0.7 and in the about screen it does state "Deluxe"...

Note: Verizon-Centro

ON a side note: ever since the upgrade I now show 2 programs for PTunes in Destaller Lite

Version 4.0.4 = Size 1768K (which is locked)
    and
    Version 4.0.7 = Size 1880K (which is the upgrade)

So I guess everytime I do an upgrade, previous versions will remain?
    Not exactly.

The reason you see two is that one is included in the ROM. ROM apps are separate from internal storage and cannot actually be removed.

So the original apps are always resident (ROM apps only), even if they are doing nothing after installing an upgrade.
    Last edited by papped; 09/24/2008 at 06:39 PM.
    Cool....thanks for the explanation Papped
    Quote Originally Posted by Nowherefast View Post
    I also have upgraded mine to 4.0.7 and in the about screen it does state "Deluxe"...

Note: Verizon-Centro

ON a side note: ever since the upgrade I now show 2 programs for PTunes in Destaller Lite

Version 4.0.4 = Size 1768K (which is locked)
    and
    Version 4.0.7 = Size 1880K (which is the upgrade)

So I guess everytime I do an upgrade, previous versions will remain?
    Destaller Lite shows the 4.0.4 ROM version, which is locked. And Destaller shows the 4.0.7 RAM upgrade version.

Any new upgrade will overwrite the older RAM version if you choose not to delete the old RAM version.

You should only have one pTunes icon in your launcher.....

Each carrier dictated what they wanted in PocketTunes. You can search the PocketTunes.com website on your carrier to learn which features may have been removed when comparing with Deluxe. Believe the GSM phones are more affected.
    I don't think the bundled versions of pTunes included the internet radio portion.
    the att version doesn't. they disbaled that menu option in their bundled version but its still the deluxe version.
    Quote Originally Posted by cavingjan View Post
    I don't think the bundled versions of pTunes included the internet radio portion.
    The bundled version of PTunes on my Sprint Centro includes Internet Radio.
    Whoever said nothing is impossible never tried slamming a revolving door.
    PTunes on my VZ Centro says it's 4.0.4 Deluxe and it has the Internet Radio option under the Tools menu.
  18.    #18  
    Whoops. My bad. I was merely looking at the Splash Screen on my VZW Centro. It doesn't say basic or deluxe.

The About screen does clearly say 4.04 Deluxe.

Sorry for the therefore unneeded discussion. ;-)

-Warr
    Quote Originally Posted by Dronak View Post
    I've upgraded mine to 4.0.7, but in the About screen, it's called "Deluxe".
    Same here, and it was free. Sprint Centro.