Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    Garnet's BT stack cannot support voice dialing over BT. Palm has zero interest in fixing/improving anything on Garnet at this point, seeing as how they've turned into a WM-exclusive outfit.

I also wouldn't count on ever seeing much in the way of future support for the Centro, since all of the "big" updates (FaceBook, Google Maps Location etc) have already been released. It appears that the Centro's strong start has come to a rather sudden screeching halt, given the recent comments made by Colligan and Brown about slowing momentum during last week's quarterly earnings call.
    Pilot 1000-->Pilot 5000-->PalmPilot Pro-->IIIe-->Vx-->m505-->T|T-->T|T2-->T|C-->T|T3-->T|T5-->TX-->Verizon Treo 700P-->Verizon Treo 755p-->Verizon Motorola Droid + Verizon Centro--> Verizon Motorola Droid X + Palm TX-->Verizon Droid Bionic + Palm TX
    Quote Originally Posted by hkklife View Post
    Garnet's BT stack cannot support voice dialing over BT. Palm has zero interest in fixing/improving anything on Garnet at this point, seeing as how they've turned into a WM-exclusive outfit.

I also wouldn't count on ever seeing much in the way of future support for the Centro, since all of the "big" updates (FaceBook, Google Maps Location etc) have already been released. It appears that the Centro's strong start has come to a rather sudden screeching halt, given the recent comments made by Colligan and Brown about slowing momentum during last week's quarterly earnings call.
    Wonder if WM will ever write a program for the Centro and we could flash?
    Global Posts
    2,486 Global Posts
    That is probably even less likely than the possibility of BT voicedial, which was already very low.
    Times like this when I want to get the Touch Pro.. its a shame it has WM though...
    Quote Originally Posted by sfhub View Post
    That is probably even less likely than the possibility of BT voicedial, which was already very low.
    I find it amazing that nothing can be done about BT VC especially because it's illegal (at least in NJ) to look at your phone while driving...I.E. looking up a number, etc....There has to be a fix or a way to do this....amazing...and it's called a "smartphone"?
    Global Posts
    2,486 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikelets456 View Post
    I find it amazing that nothing can be done about BT VC especially because it's illegal (at least in NJ) to look at your phone while driving...I.E. looking up a number, etc....There has to be a fix or a way to do this....amazing...and it's called a "smartphone"?
    Either do a quick dial or do the voice dial using the speakerphone then turn on the BT headset.

Voice dial doesn't work through the BT headset but it does work through the normal phone including wired headset (if that feature was included)

As an aside, in other states it is illegal to talk on the phone but it is ok to dial. I was actually surprised in some states it is ok to text message but not ok to talk.

From a practical standpoint, dialing a # is a very small percentage of your actual talk time. Still distracting and thus could be problematic for drivers, but from a standpoint of getting a ticket, the chances are very low.
    Quote Originally Posted by sfhub View Post
    Either do a quick dial or do the voice dial using the speakerphone then turn on the BT headset.

Voice dial doesn't work through the BT headset but it does work through the normal phone including wired headset (if that feature was included)

As an aside, in other states it is illegal to talk on the phone but it is ok to dial. I was actually surprised in some states it is ok to text message but not ok to talk.

From a practical standpoint, dialing a # is a very small percentage of your actual talk time. Still distracting and thus could be problematic for drivers, but from a standpoint of getting a ticket, the chances are very low.
    How do you set up a speed dial?Also, is there a way to increase the volume on "voice command"? What I mean is, I have it set to go off when I hold the side button, but I have to stare at the screen for 1-2 seconds because I can not hear it say ,"say a command" then I can not hear if the command was accepted or not...so I have to look at the screen again....which I think is more dangerous than driving while talking on the handset.

I know there is a menu and I cranked everything up so maybe it's something I have to live with? BTW, I know the speaker can get REALLY loud so it seems like a S/W limitation?
    Global Posts
    2,486 Global Posts
    How do you set up a speed dial?
    You can set up a speed dial on almost any button (a-z except e). Start the phone app, press down until you see an empty slot, press the Palm/Select button, it will default to speed dial, enter label, enter #, enter the key you want it bound to. From that point on, if you press and hold that button, it will dial the #. Also you can use the "More" button to add an extension or passcode which you want to dial only after you are connected.

When I tried voice dial, it worked ok but I don't remember the details since I got rid of it to save space. Someone else can hopefully help you with that.
  9.    #29  
    Well tomorrow is the 19th, and my fingers are crossed for some goodies.

Global Posts
    2,486 Global Posts
    I'm assuming the olive and rose centro's come with 1.08 and facebook.
  11.    #31  
    According to the grapewine, that they do.
    Global Posts
    333 Global Posts
    If you go to Palm's Sprint Centro download page, you'll see that they already have documentation available for 1.08 devices. When I did a quick comparison of the tables of contents of the two users guides, I noticed a few new sections added and a few old ones left out. Going just by that, my guess is that the major changes in 1.08 are that Facebook will go in, Google Maps will be upgraded, and Sprint Voice Command will be removed. I guess we'll see for sure soon enough though.
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    How do I tell me version?
    Quote Originally Posted by hotkey View Post
    How do I tell me version?
    Go to the Phone screen.
    Press "menu" button.
    Select "options"
    Scroll down to "Phone Info"

Lots of info there. Look at Software. My says "Centro - 1.07-SPNT

Good Luck
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
  15.    #35  
    Man, what happened to the Centro's update? I got all exited for nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by He123321 View Post
    Man, what happened to the Centro's update? I got all exited for nothing.
    It's on the Palm site....at least it was this morning. Looks like for Sprint users only and not Verizon.
    It's on the Palm site....at least it was this morning. Looks like for Sprint users only and not Verizon.
    That is 1.07 not 1.08.

@He123321:
    Looks like your source was wrong, there is no mention of a 1.08 update for current users anywhere.
  18.    #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by Eguy View Post
    That is 1.07 not 1.08.

@He123321:
    Looks like your source was wrong, there is no mention of a 1.08 update for current users anywhere.

My source was a tech rep from my local Sprint store, and the 2nd was a tech rep over the phone.

Quote Originally Posted by Eguy View Post
    That is 1.07 not 1.08.

@He123321:
    You might be looking at the wrong page.
    palm.com/us/support/centro/centro_sprint/downloads.html
    Global Posts
    333 Global Posts
    The documentation section of the downloads page mentions 1.08. The actual update available at http://www.palm.com/us/support/downl...te/sprint.html still only has 1.07 right now. Hopefully an update is coming for current users. Perhaps the date quoted before was an estimate subject to change (even if the reps didn't say that) and we'll see an update soon.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast