1.    #1  
    Hi folks.

I don't post here much. Mostly just occassionally lurk.

Definately not a power user or anything, but have some questions some of you power users might be able to help with. I appologize if these issues have been adressed elsewhere. I did try searching for this stuff, but had no luck.

1. I just got a pair of Motorola HT820 headphones and installed the trial version of the Softick Audio Gateway. When it works, it seems pretty cool. Unfortunately, it seems that it randomly causes my treo to do a soft reset when I use it. Is there an easy answer to this? (If it helps, I'm using a sprint 700p running Palm OS Garnet v.5.4.9)

2. Is it possible to run this Audio Gateway software through two bluetooth headphone sets simultaneously so that two people can listen to the same song, etc?

3. If the answer to number 2 above is "No", is there a good solution for more than one person to listen to mp3's simultaneously? The internal speaker in this 700p is just way too small and quiet and when I've tried to use a splitter to use two sets of wired headphones, I've found that it seems to divide the power output between them so that they are too quiet as well.

In a nutshell, my wife and I like to walk together in the evenings and we want to use a foreign language learning mp3 program together while we walk. So far, the treo has been great for this for me when I just use the program alone with the wired headphones, but when we try to use it together with the internal speaker, we can barely hear it.

Any suggestions (other than sticking to English, ha ha.)?
    Rumor is that you have to deactivate Audio Gateway before you exit it completely. Fact is that the application has issues and really puts a hurt on the device when it comes to resources used. A bit of a search will find something like deactivating to avoid the hard reset (some of the time).
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    Rumor is that you have to deactivate Audio Gateway before you exit it completely. Fact is that the application has issues and really puts a hurt on the device when it comes to resources used. A bit of a search will find something like deactivating to avoid the hard reset (some of the time).
    Thanks for the reply.

I agree with you regarding this software having issues. When it is working, it is pretty cool, but man it is buggy.

Haven't had to do the hard reset yet fortunately.

Only soft resets so far.

What kills me is the way it will just do a soft reset all on its own out of the blue right in the middle of some song I'm listening to.

For all the raves I see about this program, I gotta say I'm fairly underwhelmed.
    Exiting before disconnecting seemed to solve all of my problems.
    I think why everyone or at least me puts up with SAG is because like you say when it works its pretty cool - and yes you do have to deactivate it when done - you have to follow strict sequence on start on and shut down.

Bottom line you have no other choice if you want Bluetooth wireless audio capability in your Palm OS - so either you put up with it or not. I think its a pretty good work around for an aging OS.

BTW I never had it reboot in the middle of anything - as for me once it is working, it works - for me it is getting it to connect - takes me at least 2 to 6 times pressing the ok button.

My .02 cents
    www.MouseGlider.com
    Come Glide with Us

Rock Solid and Stable - Sprint Centro and Treo 755p
    You might want to try one of the previous versions. for me the last release wouldnt connect at all and caused resets while the 1.20 version works perfectly well. try asking for it and see if it works better for you.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by OLD_HATCH View Post
    You might want to try one of the previous versions. for me the last release wouldnt connect at all and caused resets while the 1.20 version works perfectly well. try asking for it and see if it works better for you.
    Thanks, I'll try that.
    OLD_HATCH,

Does v1.20 have the same "quick launch" into compatible applications? I can't remember which version that they added that function to.
    www.MouseGlider.com
    Come Glide with Us

No

It was the last version before they added that feature. I think that quicklaunch brought issues with it. well at least for me it did.
    Thanks - when i get some time I might revert back to 1.20 as I believe I have that version filed away.
    www.MouseGlider.com
    Come Glide with Us

Global Posts
    989 Global Posts
    I agree 1.20 seems more stable for now
  12.    #12  

Update.

I couldn't find version 1.20 anywhere for download (I did find a download site that told me I was downloading this version, but turns out it was actually version 1.22, which I found out the hard way...more on that later in the post).

I unzipped this folder and double click the program icon. Computer tells me it will be installed at the next hotsync.

So I go to deleat SAG on my treo and I get a message telling me it can't be deleated. I try again, and it appears to be gone.

So I go to install this new (old) version, and now my treo won't hot-sync with the desktop. I tried and tried and tried. I went through multiple soft resets, and still the same thing. I hit the hot-sync button, it activates the device with the initial hotsync screen (the screen with the little gray icons that appears just before the "connecting with desktop" message) and then it just freezes up.

I finally ended up having to do a hard reset. Then it hotsyncs fine, but reinstalls the darn SAG version 1.22. (This astounds me a bit, so I go look a little closer at the 1.20 that I downloaded and this is when I discover that it was actually 1.22...ugh)

So I search on the internet some more and am unable to find a version 1.20 anywhere, but I did find and download a version 1.15. I figured I'd give that a try. I unzip the file and confirm that it is indeed version 1.15...it is...so I click the program icon and get the "will install at next hotsync" message.

So I go to deleat version 1.22 from the treo, and guess what.

I then go through all of the above all over again....attempt to delete, tells me I can't, attempt again, it deleats it...attempt to hot-sync and can't...after numerous failed attempts/soft resets, end up having to hard reset in order to get hotsync to work.

Well, after the hard reset and another soft reset, it appears that version 1.15 is now installed on my treo.

We'll see how it works. (keeping my fingers crossed!)
    Can anyone provide a link to the true v1.20?
    I have it. PM me with your email address and I will send it to you.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    Exiting before disconnecting seemed to solve all of my problems.

When you say exiting, do you mean switching from the headset to the internal speaker on the Audio Gateway screen?
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by MouseGlider View Post
    I think why everyone or at least me puts up with SAG is because like you say when it works its pretty cool - and yes you do have to deactivate it when done - you have to follow strict sequence on start on and shut down.

Bottom line you have no other choice if you want Bluetooth wireless audio capability in your Palm OS - so either you put up with it or not. I think its a pretty good work around for an aging OS.

BTW I never had it reboot in the middle of anything - as for me once it is working, it works - for me it is getting it to connect - takes me at least 2 to 6 times pressing the ok button.

My .02 cents
    That makes sense.

I think I perhaps came across as overly harsh on this program when I stated that I was underwhelmed.

That was not intentional.

In my opinion, anyone who able to create such software has my respect and admiration.

I think my underwhelmed comment was mostly just born of frustration with struggling with the treo.

I've been using the Palm OS for many years now (started with a Handspring Visor back when I was in medical school) and have never used a windows mobile based device, but I'm seriously considering one of the widows based treos in my future some day...

...or at least seriously considering, seriously considering it.
    try that. Im pretty sure is version 1.20
    Attached Files Attached Files
    TO answer your questions, I'm not 100% sure but I don't think you'll be able to stream to two devices. Your best bet for that is to share wired headphones. Some splitters are available that even allow individual volume control
    Quote Originally Posted by drsam View Post
    When you say exiting, do you mean switching from the headset to the internal speaker on the Audio Gateway screen?
    Yes. That's it.