Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    I just bought one yesterday off ebay.

and im waiting for it to arrive.

im 15. and this will kind of be my first smart phone

i bought it for 118$ the cheapest i could find for something like new mint in original box. Its also unlocked

So should i go with Cingular Prepaid? Or Tmobile Prepaid. i hear tmobiles cheaper. just want your guys thoughts.

And. whats this rom thing i keep reading about? someone please explain :P?

Thanks, i hope to be an active member here
    Quote Originally Posted by XxDemonxX View Post
    And. whats this rom thing i keep reading about? someone please explain :P?
    ROM is the non-volatile memory of the phone, where the operating system and some Palm and carrier supplied progams are stored. Unlike RAM, which is where running progams are loaded, it is unaffected by resets etc. Memory is a bit limited on the 650 and as you have probably read, it is possible to do a custom ROM for it and remove progams/files that you don't use from the ROM. (eg extra language files) These can be replaced with programs that will run in ROM, thus freeing up memory on your phone.

Having said all of that, I have not done custom ROMs for my 650 and haven't been affected by a shortage of memory, so you don't need to rush into doing custom ROMS.
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    Okay good :]

And can the treo play real music...?

Oh and what kind of SD card should i geT?

lol, sorry for asking so much.

But, im also looking for a dataplan/unlimited messaging. Which would be cheaper. Tmobile or Cingular?
    Last edited by XxDemonxX; 09/23/2008 at 08:28 AM.
    So should i go with Cingular Prepaid? Or Tmobile Prepaid. i hear tmobiles cheaper. just want your guys thoughts.
    Don't quote me on it, but I don't think you'll be able to use a smart phone with a prepaid plan...at least Verizon wouldn't let you, not sure about AT&T or T-mobile though. You might want to check with a sales person.
    I use prepayed Tmobile on my unlocked treo 650 and everything works great except the web. still waiting on a reply on how to get it to work. I prepayed plan I got from Tmobile is where you pay $1 a day and 15cents a min for phone calls, but you get unlimited text and web. like I said havent figured out the web part yet but the msg works great on the 650. not that I really need the web on my phone but I do leave town alot and it would be nice to keep up on stuff. oh and you get unlimited e-mail
    Sidekick® Prepaid is the prepaid plan I went with here is the features:
    15˘ per minute
    $1.00 per day for unlimited nationwide e-mail, web browsing, text messaging and instant messaging

Not bad if your like me and would rather text someone then here there voice
    Quote Originally Posted by yoster82 View Post
    I use prepayed Tmobile on my unlocked treo 650 and everything works great except the web. still waiting on a reply on how to get it to work. I prepayed plan I got from Tmobile is where you pay $1 a day and 15cents a min for phone calls, but you get unlimited text and web. like I said havent figured out the web part yet but the msg works great on the 650. not that I really need the web on my phone but I do leave town alot and it would be nice to keep up on stuff. oh and you get unlimited e-mail

well, if you do need a phone to make phone calls with, Sprint is still the cheapest plan; for one line I believe you get 500 minutes a month and free nights/weekends after 7pm, free long distance, for $35 a month; then add $5 a month for 300 text messages, $10 a month for unlimited text messages and $15 a month for unlimited data (internet, etc)

.15 a minute for phone calls is really expensive, for a cell phone.
    Sprint Treo 755p (blue) with SanDisk 2GB miniSD card. some of my apps installed: TakephOne, DateBk6, 2Day, 4Cast, BellTime 1.0, Palm PDF, Pocket Tunes Deluxe, Kinoma 4, TCPMP, Webmessenger, Card Reader, Slingplayer Mobile, Mobipocket Reader, PS Memo, Virtual Piano, Resco Backup, Cleanup, Uninstall, Destaller, Virtual Piano, Favogo, Snap, Thesaurus, TryDA, Colorize, ChatterEmail, DBFixit, Icon Manager, Noah Pro Dictionary, zLauncher, FileZ, RNS Cuckoo Clock, 25 games.
    yeah it is expensive, but like I said I don't talk on it much. There are other plains, like the basic prepaid which is 7cents a min no day fees, unlimited nights and weekends. you get like 5 messages a day then after that its like 5cents a msg in or out. and data gets expensive. its just about what you want to use it for really. And t mob has sent me text msg saying if I use the service for 90 days my calls are dropped to 7cents a min and I get unlimited nights and weekends. but that not for another 80some days for me. if you go with the basic plan after you spend $100 on prepay services you get 20% more minutes with you prepay perches. its all about sticking around to get the benefits.
    Okay good :]
    And can the treo play real music...?
    Certainly can! Mp3's on the SD card using a number of progams including the free TCPMP. There are any number of threads on TC on that subject and also about SD cards.
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    Sweet.

if i set up this dollar a day for unlimited everything and 15 cents a min.

How would i do this? And also. Can i put this onto my credit card. and itll take off after everymonth? like the flex pay plan. Im sure i can figure out a way to make the internet work. and if i do. ill tell you how :]

Did i mention, im a BIG texter? i use around 3000 texts a month, and need the web sometimes. so i think this sidekick plan is better for me. i only need about 30 minutes a month. so i think im good. paying around 40 bucks a month?

Thanks. great to hear. i think this phone will be great.

[i also hear you can make it into a emulator ]
    Last edited by XxDemonxX; 09/24/2008 at 07:53 AM.
    well I did the pre payed thing, then I went to tmoble set up my account then changed service plains. Yes you can use your credit card and you wont have to remove it every month what you do is buy the minutes when you get low you get a text saying you only have $5 bucks on the account, but if your heavy into text like me then your fine with only a few dollars in the account for a few days ie $5 = 5 days of text. as long as no one calls you or you call them anyways......
    and if you do get the internet to work PLZ LET ME KNOW
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    I just got my phone...

How do i sync apps and stuff with it?

I setup hotsync. is there anything else??
    when you run palm desktop click the install its at the bottom of the list select the .prc files you want to install and then sync your phone. Try to only install 1 program at a time just in case it messes up your phone you will know which program it is. If you install a lot of programs at the same time you wont know which program is having problems
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    Ive decided im gonna get cingular because thats what i can get today. and i dont want to wait lol
    Congrads.

Enjoy.
    You'll enjoy the phone. The built-in MP3 player is Real Player.
    Florida Tony
    GSM: Treo 270 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 680 > Centro > iPhone 3G S
    I just got my phone...

How do i sync apps and stuff with it?

I setup hotsync. is there anything else??
    Yes.

1: Get a 1GB+ SD card (and a USB adapter if you don't have an SD slot already with your PC).

2: Set up the appropriate folders on the SD card

-PALM
    --Launcher
    --Programs

From here, you can simply download new programs and drop them in the "Launcher" folder and check 'em out. Doing this really negates much of the need to get into modifying your ROM as you'll be quite set with space.
    No problem should ever be solved twice.

Verizon Treo650 W/Custom ROM