Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    I have both the Treo 755 P and the Centro. The Centro is small I think and the keyboard is small. I like the size of the 755P better but it seems slower. Not by much but it just seems slower. Has anyone else noticed this or is it just me. The Centro earpiece does not seem as loud. Help

Thanks PWFNP
    The speaker isn't of the same quality on the Centro, which is why.

I can't really notice much of a speed improvement on the Centro really (shortly after a hard reset). Some apps slow down the device though, as well as fragmentation over time so it's very hard to tell. However I have not tried the latest Centro rom yet, so this might all be obsolete.

The dpad and touchscreen is like night and day in the 755p's favor though. Main benefits of the Centro are only 2 fold imo:

1 - Newer app versions (more app support, Palm likes to **** on 755p owners)
    2 - smaller form factor (unless you preferr the larger keyboard).

If you want those 2 then go Centro. If not, then the 755p is better.
    Last edited by papped; 09/22/2008 at 08:34 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwfnp View Post
    I have both the Treo 755 P and the Centro. The Centro is small I think and the keyboard is small. I like the size of the 755P better but it seems slower. Not by much but it just seems slower. Has anyone else noticed this or is it just me. The Centro earpiece does not seem as loud. Help

Thanks PWFNP
    I have both also (my wife has the Centro) - and yes the 755p seems just a tad slower but in its defense the 755p is really loaded up with software - I use Lightspeed on the 755p and it makes the 755p slightly faster then my non Lightspeed Centro in most areas and no less than equal in others.

Stock 755p vs stock Centro out of the box, I'd say the Centro seems just a little snappier in some areas and in others like Versamail app it is slower than the 755p - which I believe is because of the different versions of Versamail.

Bottom line, the keyboard size and shape and the larger and better screen, bigger available battery and build quaility is what I like about the 755p. Oh almost forgot, VoiceDial by VoiceSignal only works on the 755p. But the Centro is really pocketable.

Just my .02cents.
    www.MouseGlider.com
    Come Glide with Us

Rock Solid and Stable - Sprint Centro and Treo 755p
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    I've covered these points elsewhere several times before but just to recap:

Centro Pros:

-Cheaper
    -Smaller size & less weight
    -Available in both GSM & CDMA formats and in a wide array of colors
    -More widely availabe & newer (so better future support etc)
    -Slightly less lag due to NVFS optimizations, especcially while on a call
    -Newer/better software bundle (DTG 10, PTunes Deluxe etc)
    -More main memory free (~68.8mb free vs. ~62.8mb on 755p)
    -Slightly louder speaker & earpiece volume (may vary from device to device) and possibly better voice quality
    -Google Maps Location functionality on all versions
    -Slightly better camera image quality
    -Brighter/whiter, crisper LCD

755p Pros:

-Larger screen
    -Larger, more comfortable "smile" shaped keyboard
    -Larger, more comfortable stylus
    -More professional, conservative styling for business users (entirely subjective but this is IMHO)
    -Better build quality and soft-touch paint
    -Stronger vibrate mode (may vary from device to device)
    -Higher capacity stock (1600mAh) battery with the option of a large 2200mAh Seidio OEM-size battery. Centro maxes out at 1150mAh.
    -miniSD slot is side-mounted & easier to access and the 755p can use mini or microSD cards with a micro-to-mini adapter.
    -Wide array of affordable aftermarket accessories available due to age & popularity of its 680 & 750 siblings.
    -Available on certain carriers the Centro is not (Alltel, Telus etc).

So in short the 755p is a better device for "power" users or longtime POS fans who know how to tweak their devices and/or need to do a lot of data input and/or onscreen reading and don't mind spending some $ to address some of the device's shortcomings (earpiece volume etc) and to update the bundled software.

The Centro is a faster, cheaper, smaller & overall better device for casual users or first-time smartphone owners who can overlook its obvious screen, keyboard and battery size shortcomings.
    Pilot 1000-->Pilot 5000-->PalmPilot Pro-->IIIe-->Vx-->m505-->T|T-->T|T2-->T|C-->T|T3-->T|T5-->TX-->Verizon Treo 700P-->Verizon Treo 755p-->Verizon Motorola Droid + Verizon Centro--> Verizon Motorola Droid X + Palm TX-->Verizon Droid Bionic + Palm TX
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    Thanks for the response. Do ya'll have trouble with Treo rebooting for no reason. It has not been doing it as often but it can drive me crazy. I think I am going to continue using the Treo. I agree I like the size of the screen and the size of the buttons. Thanks again
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    What programs do you suggest to tweak the palm? Thanks
    ^ Depends what you want to be able to do with your phone. There's a tweak for everything.

As for rebooting- yes. Random resets are just part of Treo ownership, like poopy diapers are with a baby. It's almost always due to a badly written app or a corrupted database. Try to keep track of what you're doing when it reboots. Write back & let me know what program you're in with a list of all installed apps & I'll see if I can figure out what's causing it.
    I just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance by fleeing the scene of the accident!
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    Thanks for the help. Okay I have a question is there a list of must have apps for the treo or is there just one for the centro? DO I need a program to help with the memory card. There are so many programs
    Here's my favorite app for managing files on the device and card: http://www.mobihand.com/treocentral/...513&n=FileProg - and the price is right (free).

I also own Resco Explorer and some other apps, but I keep coming back to FileProg for its simplicity and power. Resco Explorer is handy for many areas of tweaking as well as opening .zip files, but IMHO it's too bloated for everyday use.
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    Okay I am back. The Centro is like a Barbie phone but the treo keeps on resetting. I just can't decide what to do. I think I am going to load programs slowly and see if that helps. Thanks for all the responses.
    In my case, the resets were caused by the IM app. I deleted from RAM to make sure all the settings went away, did a soft reset, then never opened the app again. My resets are significantly less frequent. Butler was also corrupting my database and causing resets (which sucks since I really like that app).
    What settings are you using on Lightspeed? I tried it once, but wasn't sure waht to speed up and what not to. I also was afraid of setting things too high and causing loop issues or something. I took it back out. Does it really help that much?
    Quote Originally Posted by cvela90 View Post
    In my case, the resets were caused by the IM app. I deleted from RAM to make sure all the settings went away, did a soft reset, then never opened the app again. My resets are significantly less frequent. Butler was also corrupting my database and causing resets (which sucks since I really like that app).
    I use Butler (a lot) and do not have many resets at all. Safeguard and ResetDoc may slow down switching apps or turning on, but things have been quite stable since I removed BusinessConnect (I am using the Seven Beta instead). I think BCPE used to give me "dead freezes" that could be cured only by removing the battery.

BB