Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1.    #1  
    I would like to purchase a backup power charger for emergencies. Several are available, but there are few user comments to help decide among them.

    I've found these so far:
    1. Cellet Emergency Charger
    "...put a 1.5v AA battery (not included) in the charger and plug into your phone! This charger lets you charge your phone's battery with regular AA batteries."

    2. Battery Adaptor Pro
    "....4 alkaline or rechargeable AA batteries to power your device. Provides up to 5 full recharging cycles for your device.....an extendable USB power connector....a built-in super bright triple LED flashlight to give you light when itís dark."

    3. Battery Adapter for miniSync Features:
    "Uses just 4 alkaline or rechargeable AA batteries to power your device ....
    Provides up to 5 full recharging cycles for your device.....Works with all compatible miniSyncs and DirectSyncs."

    Any comments on which of these works well and/or best of the lot?

    Thank you!
  2. #2  
    Even if you get no responses, please let us know your experience. I've been thinking of purchasing something like this for plane trips.
  3. #4  
    i like the look of this one:
    http://shop.treonauts.com/cellet-eme.../5A58A3795.htm

    but I have no idea how much charge it gives from one AA battery..does anyone have any idea? One review I found said it gave 10% charge after 20 minutes, but it wasn't clear if that exhausted the AA battery, or that was just how far it got in 20 minutes.

    edit:
    nevermind, found this comment:
    http://blog.treonauts.com/2008/07/cellet-emergenc.html

    which seems to say 30-50%. Not bad for one AA battery. I already carry a ton of them when i travel for my camera and mp3 player.
  4. #5  
    If you go by the ratings of the batteries, some AA batteries actually have a higher capacity than the Centro battery. Of course, the charger may have some losses, but it should give you an idea. All AA batteries do not have the same capacity, so I would use alkaline or NiMH rechargeable.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

    NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

    Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
  5. #6  
    Look at the Iogear Gearjuice. - light, small, universal and works well
    Mark Bergman
  6. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonylmiller View Post
    If you go by the ratings of the batteries, some AA batteries actually have a higher capacity than the Centro battery. Of course, the charger may have some losses, but it should give you an idea. All AA batteries do not have the same capacity, so I would use alkaline or NiMH rechargeable.
    that's a rather good point. the centro battery is 1150mah...I have a nimh AA sitting here on my desk that claims 2100mah (and I know i've seen higher).

    That being the case, i'm sort of amazed the centro battery capacity is so low... it's not *that* much smaller/lighter than a AA battery...is it? Maybe i need to take mine out and look at it again (if only the cover weren't such a pain to take off).

    Anyway once I get the charger I'll do some experiments. There's something sort of amusing about recharging a rechargeable battery via a rechargeable battery. (or maybe it's just me)
  7. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by random735 View Post
    that's a rather good point. the centro battery is 1150mah...I have a nimh AA sitting here on my desk that claims 2100mah (and I know i've seen higher).

    That being the case, i'm sort of amazed the centro battery capacity is so low... it's not *that* much smaller/lighter than a AA battery...is it? Maybe i need to take mine out and look at it again (if only the cover weren't such a pain to take off).

    Anyway once I get the charger I'll do some experiments. There's something sort of amusing about recharging a rechargeable battery via a rechargeable battery. (or maybe it's just me)
    What I like about the concept is, virtually unlimited battery life. If I get one of those AA chargers, I can carry a bunch of NiMH rechargeables on the plane with me (we use them for everything and never buy primary batteries). I don't want to buy two or three Centro batteries. Especially the ones that bulge out the back.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

    NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

    Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
  8. Toymaker's Avatar
    Posts
    75 Posts
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    #9  
    My local Walgreens had the Energizer Energi-To-Go 2x AA charger on clearance for $10. I picked the last one up at my local store and it works great.
  9. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonylmiller View Post
    What I like about the concept is, virtually unlimited battery life. If I get one of those AA chargers, I can carry a bunch of NiMH rechargeables on the plane with me (we use them for everything and never buy primary batteries). I don't want to buy two or three Centro batteries. Especially the ones that bulge out the back.
    Yup, my thoughts exactly.. when I bought a digital camera and an mp3 player, I made sure they ran on AA batteries. That way I can buy dirt cheap rechargeable AAs, or in a pinch, pick up some alkalines on a trip, and i'm good to go... no pricey proprietary batteries that might stop getting made after a few years, no 15 different special battery chargers/cradles/etc to keep track of, no spending $40 just to have a spare battery (that might not even be enough for a long trip).

    That said, with the ever decreasing size of such devices, and the move towards specialized batteries, it's unlikely that my next camera or mp3 player will run off AAs..but at least i can recharge my centro with one.
  10. allonon's Avatar
    Posts
    372 Posts
    Global Posts
    373 Global Posts
    #11  
    Depends on what you want.

    I have 2 emergency charges and I like them both for different reasosn

    I have the Energizer Portable charger that uses AA lithiums. It's small and easy, but the lithiums are expensive.

    I primarily use my Sprint portable power pack. It's a 2200mah rechargable battery that gives you a usb interface. It's about the size of a cigarette pack and gives me all kinds of cables. Draw back of course is if you let it drain without charging it, you're doubly screwed
  11. Toymaker's Avatar
    Posts
    75 Posts
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    #12  
    The Energizer charger only says to use Lithiums to get the best results but that you can also use Alkalines.
  12. efudd's Avatar
    Posts
    697 Posts
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    #13  
    there's 2500 AA's around if you look.

    also there's generic little boxes that take 4 AA's and give you a usb port- connect a charge/sync cable and you are set. a nimh is actually 1.2 volts or so- so times 4 gets you 4.8 volts right about 5.0 that usb delivers- so no fancy circutry required that might loose efficency.

    so you could get 10,000 with that.

    I got one years ago from semsons.com
  13. estroh's Avatar
    Posts
    135 Posts
    Global Posts
    637 Global Posts
    #14  
    How long did it take to charge?

    Quote Originally Posted by toymaker View Post
    My local Walgreens had the Energizer Energi-To-Go 2x AA charger on clearance for $10. I picked the last one up at my local store and it works great.
  14. #15  
    Why not just get an extra battery? OEM on eBay $13-$14. OR buy the Seidio 1350mAh one for $39
    Florida Tony
    GSM: Treo 270 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 680 > Centro > iPhone 3G S
  15. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by floridatony View Post
    Why not just get an extra battery? OEM on eBay $13-$14. OR buy the Seidio 1350mAh one for $39
    $14 isn't bad, but here are my reasons I didn't go that route:
    1) requires a way to charge it (swapping it into the phone to charge it seems like a pain, given how difficult getting the battery cover off is, and isn't going to keep it topped off at all times)
    2) requires you keep the spare battery topped off for it to function as a useable spare. If you last charged it 2 months ago, you may be disappointed when you swap it in as a spare.
    3) requires powering off the phone to replace it
    4) I can carry a set of AAs and use them for a variety of things, not a single purpose
    5) I can buy more AAs anywhere. I can't buy another charged centro battery for $4 if I happen to go beyond 2 charges worth of use. I've gone on trips that take me away from AC power sources for multiple days at a time, though I still had cell service. I got through it by keeping the phone off most of the time, but it'd be nice not to worry about it.

    I just got my cellet today, i'm charging my phone w/ it now, it's a pretty cool little item, feels well made, metal casing even, maybe 50% larger than the AA that goes inside it. I'd have no second thoughts tossing it in a pocket or a bag to take on a plane/etc, for total peace of mind about not running out of juice. I'm looking forward to using my centro as an mp3 player on my next plane flight, now that i won't be worried about wasting battery that i may need to call someone when i land. that's going to save me carrying the mp3 player, too.
  16. estroh's Avatar
    Posts
    135 Posts
    Global Posts
    637 Global Posts
    #17  
    On the other hand:

    1) requires need to keep that charger plugged in for an hour to get a charge instead of swap and go

    2) need to carry double AA batteries plus the emergency charger with more bulk instead of the slim phone battery

    I only carry the extra phone battery when on a trip because it is so much easier to use. I charge my phone every night, and in the morning put in the extra battery and charges in car or at my desk before the trip. Just seems easy to me.


    Quote Originally Posted by random735 View Post
    $14 isn't bad, but here are my reasons I didn't go that route:
    1) requires a way to charge it (swapping it into the phone to charge it seems like a pain, given how difficult getting the battery cover off is, and isn't going to keep it topped off at all times)
    2) requires you keep the spare battery topped off for it to function as a useable spare. If you last charged it 2 months ago, you may be disappointed when you swap it in as a spare.
    3) requires powering off the phone to replace it
    4) I can carry a set of AAs and use them for a variety of things, not a single purpose
    5) I can buy more AAs anywhere. I can't buy another charged centro battery for $4 if I happen to go beyond 2 charges worth of use. I've gone on trips that take me away from AC power sources for multiple days at a time, though I still had cell service. I got through it by keeping the phone off most of the time, but it'd be nice not to worry about it.

    I just got my cellet today, i'm charging my phone w/ it now, it's a pretty cool little item, feels well made, metal casing even, maybe 50% larger than the AA that goes inside it. I'd have no second thoughts tossing it in a pocket or a bag to take on a plane/etc, for total peace of mind about not running out of juice. I'm looking forward to using my centro as an mp3 player on my next plane flight, now that i won't be worried about wasting battery that i may need to call someone when i land. that's going to save me carrying the mp3 player, too.

Posting Permissions