Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    I am a newbie here so please bear with me. I am interested in upgrading to a Palm Centro. I am not interested in having a data plan for my phone since I have 2 laptops, a desktop and a work 'puter. Anyhoo......the gal at Verizon at Verizon (my carrier) told me that I should buy a data plan as the Centro is known to accidentally connect to the web and then I will get charged by the kb and could run up a huge bill. Am I being fleeced here? Any help would be appreciated. I only want to use my Palm as a program and document appliance, such as taking notes and using my Bible program.
    Unless you launch apps that use network (web, email which would actually require setting up an account, On Demand, Instant Messaging, etc) it shouldn't matter. But yeah you might have to be a little careful as to what apps you launch.
    I wouldn't worry to much about getting a data plan. I have a treo 600 that I never used a data plan for and I am getting the Centro in a couple weeks though verizon without a data plan. Just take the time to understand your phone and what it can do so you won't have to worry about being charged. Might want to find a different verizon rep to talk to also. She is just trying to make money off you in my opinion.
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    I would think they could disable the data on the account. I'm with Sprint and when my cousin kept "accidentally" downloading ringtones I had them cut off all access from their system. His phone wouldn't phone access the internet at all even when I tried afterwards.

There's got to be something on their end that they can do.
    I always set up my treo's to "Ask Before Connecting" in the prefs.That should give you some warning as to whether an app is going to tap into your data plan.
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    You guys are awesome!! I had a feeling she was fleecing me!! Thanks so much for the replies and I have decidedd to go with the Centro...........in sexy red if I can get it!! Thanks again all!!
  7. ame
    Global Posts
    2,714 Global Posts
    Unfortunatly red is a sprint only color right now.
    Call vzw and tell them you want a data block on the line - that will guarantee that it won't connect
    They make their pay off of commission so they will try to sell you as much as possible. Thats all she is trying to do.
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    You all have given me alot of tips.........I appreciate it very much!! Thanks!
    When I was with Verizon (just switched to Sprint SERO 4 months ago) you can call in to CS and have them block data service. You can also log into your account via vzw.com and change it online. Hope this helps.
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    bpsherwo gives all the options in a fabulous post here. Use number 2. You can easily change to be connected when you want to. I've gotten three bills with no data charges.

As another poster in that thread said: "All you need is step number 2. It is 100% effective and simple. It also preserves the ability, after changing the preferences back, to use data on a pay per kb basis if you really need to check google maps or download an email.

All the other steps are just extra work with no benefit."
    Global Posts
    420 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by debe View Post
    You all have given me alot of tips.........I appreciate it very much!! Thanks!
    The bigger issue perhaps is that you will end up paying nearly full price for the Centro if you don't get a data plan. When you get it with a data plan, it is $100 after rebates or less - sometimes free. Without a data plan, you may be looking at $300 or more. An option with VZW is to take the $29.99 data plan initially, then cancel it when you are allowed to. They don't tell you what that time is but I recall we canceled it on my son's 700P after four or five months.
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bbtkd View Post
    The bigger issue perhaps is that you will end up paying nearly full price for the Centro if you don't get a data plan. When you get it with a data plan, it is $100 after rebates or less - sometimes free. Without a data plan, you may be looking at $300 or more. An option with VZW is to take the $29.99 data plan initially, then cancel it when you are allowed to. They don't tell you what that time is but I recall we canceled it on my son's 700P after four or five months.
    Or wait for New Every Two" eligibility, if she has a qualifying plan. My Verizon New Every Two price for the Centro was $49.
    Global Posts
    420 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jj2me View Post
    Or wait for New Every Two" eligibility, if she has a qualifying plan. My Verizon New Every Two price for the Centro was $49.
    You still need a data plan to get that price.
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bbtkd View Post
    You still need a data plan to get that price.
    Not really. Yes, Verizon requires you to have a data plan with any Centro. But one of them is $0 monthly, with some high per-kb price. Or at least that was what was there three months ago and what I signed up for online.

Using the link I provided above, method #2, you can toggle on your Centro between no data and data: Prefs --> Network --> Service --> NoDataCharges (which turns off all data) or Broadband Access (data turned on). So in an emergency when you need data, it's a few taps away. But normally, set to NoDataCharges, you pay $0 for data (no pinging or anything).
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    I do have the "new every two" plan with them, so I will be eligible Nov. 6th. The new Blackberry Storm comes out Nov. 1st (I Think) so I will be tempted to check it out. I really think I am leaning towards the Centro though.
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    P.S. Will my Motorola bluetooth headset work with a Centro?
    Any bluetooth head set will work. They dont discriminate (SP?) so to speak. I was using my old Motorola H2 headset for a while until I bought a plantronics that I can use for my computer and phone.
    I wouldn't say any BT headset would work.

Phones and headsets definitely do discriminate against each other.