1.    #1  
    I was using WordSmith 2 yesterday during a meeting to take notes and got three Fatal Errors. Has anyone else had a problem with the new version?

Laura
    Laura,

Deletion of Hacks from the PDA eliminates the Fatal Error conflict with WordSmith.

I don't understand why, but as we all know, PDAs are part magic.

The rest is pure evil.

Bruce, The PDA P.A.
    Laura,

WordSmith v. 2.0c has fixed a bug that causes Fatal Error.

This should solve your conflict problem.

If not, try deletion of all Hacks from the PDA.

I don't understand why, but as we all know, PDAs are part magic.

The rest is pure evil.

Bruce, The PDA P.A.
    WordSmith 2.0D is now available. Not sure what it addresses, but it is out and available for download. Perhaps this would solve your FatalError.
    In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. JOHN 14:2
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    They do not seem to delineate between versions B, C, D either on the program or on the website. How does one know which version they have?
    Howard
    Tap "WordSmith" on BlueNomad's web page.
    Tap "Download".
    The listing now reads v.2.0d

Bruce, The PDA P.A.
    Originally posted by hloakes
    They do not seem to delineate between versions B, C, D either on the program or on the website. How does one know which version they have?
    If you go to the menu Options -> About, the title bar will tell you which version you have. Mine for example says WordSmith 2.0d.

Jason
    I too have been having fatal errors, and I am using 2.0d and have no hacks installed. In fact, in trying to solve my problem (unable to open rtf files installed on my Visor using the WordSmith application) I did a hard reset, emptied out my Backups folder on my desktop (Mac G4, running OS 9.0.4), and then installed only WordSmith. I ended up with a pristine Visor with only the default applications and WordSmith. When I tried to install some rtf files, the installation seemed to go fine, but every time I tried to open them: Fatal Exception. It didn't matter where the rtf files came from, or how they were created, or what size they were. The only commonality between them is that they were all saved as rtf files using Word 98. Attempting to open any of them resulted in a Fatal Exception. And this happens on both my Platinum and my Prism. Can't think of what I might try next. Any suggestions?
    Woodworks.

I'd get on the horn to Blue Nomad, pronto.

They've been quite responsive,
    to the point of being even proactive in this storm.

Bruce, The PDA P.A.
    WoodWorks,

I am having the exact same problems that you are. I am running almost the exact same system with Word 98 and cannot view rtf files without getting a fatal exception. I even created a document with Wordsmith and synced it to the desktop then opened that file and saved it as a different file with Word and loaded it on my palm, I still go the fatal exception. I contaced blue nomad support and they told me to download 2.0d and all of my problems would be fixed. Well as you know this does not fix the problem. I will contact support again and post anything that the tell me to do.

Matt
    I also started getting fatal errors whenever I opened WordSmith 2.0.
    I did soft and "warm" resets, reinstalled the app and conduit, disabled hacks, etc, to no avail.

Then I remembered that I had manually deleted a couple of the FineType fonts using FileMover which I didn't want, and looked at whether that might be the problem. I found a PDB file called WrdS_FontDB. It is probably a PDB file. I deleted it, along with the remaining FineType font files. After that, the fatal errors disappeared, and they haven't come back for me.

The lesson I learned: If you delete any FineType fonts, also delete WrdS_FontDB. It is recreated when WordSmith is run again.

I hope this helps.

Dwight Smith
    I also started getting fatal errors whenever I opened WordSmith 2.0.
    I did soft and "warm" resets, reinstalled the app and conduit, disabled hacks, etc, to no avail.

Then I remembered that I had manually deleted a couple of the FineType fonts using FileMover which I didn't want, and looked at whether that might be the problem. I found a PDB file called WrdS_FontDB. It is probably a PDB file. I deleted it, along with the remaining FineType font files. After that, the fatal errors disappeared, and they haven't come back for me.

The lesson I learned: If you delete any FineType fonts, also delete WrdS_FontDB. It is recreated when WordSmith is run again.

I hope this helps.

Dwight Smith
    It looks like the Mac problem is coming from the Mac version of Word 98. I opened up the same documents I was having a problem with in Appleworks and then saved them again and uploaded them to Wordsmith and had no problems at all. Is there anyone else that can confirm this? I don't have Office 2000 on the computer I am working on now but will try to create some documents tonight with Word 2000 and see if they work.

Is the Word 98 and Wordsmith problem a know one? Anyone having success using a Mac with Word 98 and Wordsmith?

Thanks.

Matt

Well, as I mentioned above, I have installed a clean copy of WordSmith 2.0d onto a pristine (hard reset) Visor. I didn't delete or do anything else to any Finetype fonts. I did contact Blue Nomad before posting my first message here, and they told me to delete WordSmith from my Visor and then do a fresh re-install. Obviously that didn't work. That's when I turned to you all. It does seem that, based on mattp's experience that the problem may involve the Mac version of Word 98. I'm hoping that the fine folks at Blue Nomad are reading this forum and are going to hunt down the source of the problem and kill it.
    OK, I'm a doofus. I didn't copy the new conduit into the Conduits folder on my desktop. That solved the problem. Sheesh.