1.    #1  
    I have a verizon centro with the 29.99 unlimited e-mail and web package
    I currently reside in an "extended network" area
    My web application does not function properly.
    Sometimes it will work (commonly after a soft reset, it will work for a few minutes, then stop working).
    I called verizon and they tried a few things (cache clear, soft reset, hard reset, etc) and then sent me a replacement device.
    I have the same problem with the new device, so I know it is not a hardware problem.
    I have good voice coverage (rarely drop calls) and the kicker is that google maps and sending/receiving my e-mail works without a hitch.
    It is just the web

Can someone please help or offer suggestions
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mabus View Post
    I have a verizon centro with the 29.99 unlimited e-mail and web package
    I currently reside in an "extended network" area
    My web application does not function properly.
    Sometimes it will work (commonly after a soft reset, it will work for a few minutes, then stop working).
    I called verizon and they tried a few things (cache clear, soft reset, hard reset, etc) and then sent me a replacement device.
    I have the same problem with the new device, so I know it is not a hardware problem.
    I have good voice coverage (rarely drop calls) and the kicker is that google maps and sending/receiving my e-mail works without a hitch.
    It is just the web

Can someone please help or offer suggestions
    Thanks
    Verizon's fine print does say "Some functions of data may not be available in extended network areas"....I would assume that is your problem. Can you set your phone to 1X mode and see what happens? I used to be able to do that on my Moto phones....I do not know if it can be done on the Centro.
  3.    #3  
    Yeah it does say that...and it is possible that i am just out of luck...but I don't understand why it would work perfectly after a soft reset and also still have complete e-mail and google map functionality.
    i dont think it is possible to set it to 1x (I think there have been discussion on this board regarding that), but I will try to figure that out.
    Any other suggestions or knowledge regarding this problem would be much appreciated. Thanks mike.
  4.    #4  
    Well I am stuck here...after taking out the battery and re-inserting it, i get solid web service for about 5-10 minutes, then it cuts out and leaves me with an error message "CANNOT FIND REQUESTED PAGE The page you requested cannot be displayed. The web site you are trying to access may be temporarily unavailable or the URL you entered cannot be resolved. Please check that you correctly entered the URL or try again later".
    Of course, all I am trying to do is type in "google", so the error message doesn't even apply really to the situation.
    Lost here...anything anyone?
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    even in good areas I get those sort of messages on occasion. I am under the impression its the dns server screwing up.
    in my case refresh usually gets the address and I'm in action.

maybe you can investigate setting dns server to a known good source?
  6.    #6  
    Thanks efudd...Im not familiar with "dns".
    Could you explain what this is and how to look into changing the settings...thanks.
    Try http://vzwwap.infospace.com/vzwwap/index.htm

That is Verizon's Mobile Web 2.0 homepage. The content should be a bit garbled, if it loads.

If you get the host lookup failed error on that then you are most likely on another carrier's data network and they do not offer the Verizon services through the network. This would result in the issue described.

Changing the DNS server *may* work. Though that depends on the roaming agreement between the carriers.
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    dns is Domain Name Server
    computers on the net have numbers like 111.222.333.444
    but us humans like names.

the dns server is what tells your treo that www.treocentral.com really is some number.

I'm really no expert on changing it on the treo's but I know some folks on windows devices have had better service by changing the server
  9.    #9  
    Hey dkirker...i tried the website...and as I feared...no luck.

However, does this same issue explain why the internet will work flawlessly after a soft reset? It will work without a problem for about 5-10 minutes, and then it will cut out and not work again until another soft reset.
    Also, the google maps application as well as versamail work 100% of the time.
    Thanks for any input.
  10.    #10  
    Still no solution and the Verizon people keep trying to tell me it is a hardware issue, but I have already been through replacement devices, so I know that is not the problem.
    Question: Under Optinos--->Preferences-->Advanced--->"Set Proxy" (Bottom right corner of screen).
    Does anyone have any experience with this feature or know if this could be used to fix the problem?
    If I select "Set Proxy" this message comes up:
    "You may need to selecte a custom proxy servcer to access the Web. Setting a customer proxy may prevent access to some carrier services."
    Then a check box for "Use Custom Proxy"
    Then after it is checked, a fill-in-the-blank line comes up with the following:

Proxy Server:

Port:80

Can someone explain this to me or does anyone know if this could indeed help me out? Thanks
    You're not understanding..you're in an extended network area and as such certain data services aren't available. It probably works for that brief period after a reset because it takes that long for the network to figure out you aren't authorized to access the web. Unless there is a way to upgrade the phone's preferred roaming list or chose which network to roam on I'm not sure there is much you can do.