Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    I have a 680. I wanted to put a detailed map of the Miami area zoomed in so that I can see all roads. I imagine it will be fairly large but I don't mind as I will have a 16GB card soon. I don't need GPS on it and I don't have an internet plan so I can't use the Google apps it seems. Is this even possible?
    you can download free "mapview" application that allows you to browse any image bitmap (multiple resolutions, even!)

you must have map you want in some kind of image, though (jpg, png, tiff...)
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    Any idea where I can get these?
    or if you have a pdf viewer you can put a pdf map on your card.
    ONE can be spelled as NEO.
    There is no spoon.
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    That would be really big map. They'd have to break it up by pages and searching would be difficult.
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    Try Earthcomber, just google it. I had it on my Palm Treo 650 when I did not have an internet plan. You can choose which city or county maps to download and it works great and is free. If you happen to have a GPS receiver, it will even connect to it and you can track your actual location on the maps. That way you don't have to buy the expensive software like TomTom.
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    Friggin awesome. Thanks for the advice.
    earth comber is the best, or why not just use googlemaps,is it something wrong with your phone that you cant use googlemaps?
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    I don't have an internet plan. I checked it out but there's no way of downloading it to my PC that I saw.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doom878 View Post
    I don't have an internet plan. I checked it out but there's no way of downloading it to my PC that I saw.
    I don't have any Earthcomber experience. I've got Delorme Earthmate Street Atlas 2009 software. I can sync the maps through my phone and onto my card or I can put map files directly on the mini sd card.

It's not free but it's useful, searchable, customizable, "gps-able," etc. ... and the maps are pretty small, to my surprise.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Global Posts
    790 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Doom878 View Post
    Once you create an account on earthcomber.com, login with your account and to go the Downloads section. They have installers for Windows, Mac, and Linux.
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    I meant with googlemaps. I already have 3 maps from earthcomber on my phone.
    before getting a dataplan I used and liked KMaps you might want to check it out, I think it offered some features that earthcomber didn't but that was years ago.

Andy
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    I googled kmaps and it looks like it only works for the 650 and 600. Also you need Java.
  15. Zcu
    I used mapopolis it was great, but that was a long way back. Try to find it I wish I still had it.