1.    #1  
    Hello all, just decided to look all this up today and i have to say thank you to everyone who has provided information on using the treo as a PAM without going through sprint. However, i am of course affriad i will actually be charged for this some how.

I followed a link from a sticky to a post for how to set it up on Macs, installed the hack, but then went and instead of setting it up the way they said, i used PDAnet. Now, i havent paid for PDAnet just yet since i wanted to see if it worked (of course since they let me download it first why pay for it right away?) so to start of the questions here it goes:

1) Whats the difference between the "free" PDAnet and the registered/purchased copy?

2) Is there any way that sprint will know im using my PAM and how can i assure that i WILL NOT be billed for the time used on the internet through PDAnet?

I have to say the set up with PDAnet was almost too easy that it feels like im going to be charged by something somewhere... had it taken a bit more effort rather than installing and setting the port number then maybe i wouldnt be such a skeptic.
    Quote Originally Posted by popnfresh182 View Post
    2) Is there any way that sprint will know im using my PAM and how can i assure that i WILL NOT be billed for the time used on the internet through PDAnet?
    Nobody can guarantee that Sprint won't figure out some way to know. What people can tell you is that many people have used PDAnet (and USBModem), some fairly extensively, and haven't seen extra charges.
    And more favorable reviews have come in for USBModem, so check that out as well.
    My Palm phones: i500 --> i550 --> 650 --> 700p --> Centro
    The difference in the free trial and the paid version is just that, the trial is only good for 14 or so days, then it will stop working. I feel PdaNet is the best $34 I've ever spent on a program as I've been using it for over three years now and have never had a charge from first Verizon for two years, then Sprint. It has saved me numberous hotel internet charges. Their customer support is great as well. They always have answered any question I've had and give good discounts when you need to update to a new type of phone.
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    It's ok if you are not connecting the PDANET 24/7, otherwise that will raise a red flag. Even if you have a PAM plan, you still can't download/upload unlimited data. Sprint has 5gb cap each month. They know how much data you are using every month. Just don't go anywhere near 5gb.
    Get the latest cell phone news and deals at www.icellphonedeals.com.
    I got my new phones free at bestincellphones.com, where did you get yours?
    Quote Originally Posted by mikecc View Post
    It's ok if you are not connecting the PDANET 24/7, otherwise that will raise a red flag. Even if you have a PAM plan, you still can't download/upload unlimited data. Sprint has 5gb cap each month. They know how much data you are using every month. Just don't go anywhere near 5gb.

What if you leave your laptop connected for about 8 hrs a day and leave AIM on (Not chatting)
    but just leave it on.
    Does that take up data????
    Why not look on the pdanet application? It lists the amount of data sent/received.

I'm using it right now and after surfing the web for over 2 hours I've accumilated about 4,000,000 bytes. According to an online calculator that equals 0.004 gigabytes. So thats nowhere near close to even being one gigabyte let alone 5.

Just keep track of how much data you use.
    Quote Originally Posted by OLD_HATCH View Post
    Why not look on the pdanet application? It lists the amount of data sent/received.

I'm using it right now and after surfing the web for over 2 hours I've accumilated about 4,000,000 bytes. According to an online calculator that equals 0.004 gigabytes. So thats nowhere near close to even being one gigabyte let alone 5.

Just keep track of how much data you use.
    Just checking, why did you pick bytes to show your usage when Sprints website tells you how many kilobytes you use? I sure hope you read that right, because 4,000,000 kilobytes is 30 gigabytes. By the way, I do know you didn't use 30 gb in two hours
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    lol

Because Pdanet shows send and received info as bytes. WHile you run the app it has both counters going while you're connected so at the end of your session just log and add up your usage.
    Quote Originally Posted by OLD_HATCH View Post
    lol

Because Pdanet shows send and received info as bytes. WHile you run the app it has both counters going while you're connected so at the end of your session just log and add up your usage.
    I was wondering where you got that. I never looked at that. I've also never had to worry about usage because I've never even come close to 5 gb. Thanks.
    Wouldn't your sprint account info keep track of the data used also, since it's going through the 755p to the Sprint network anyways?
    yeah it does. like it keeps track of voice minutes used, but its not always up to date.
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    If you have Vision or Power Vision, Sprint won't show how much data usage on your monthly bill. The only thing I saw is "unlimited data".

Fully_Amazing, Leaving your lapton on with PDANET connected won't take up data if you don't upload/download stuff, or browse the web. Not sure about AIM though. Like OLD_HATCH said, check the bytes sent/received. I believe PDANET logs that info per session.
    Get the latest cell phone news and deals at www.icellphonedeals.com.
    I got my new phones free at bestincellphones.com, where did you get yours?
    Quote Originally Posted by mikecc View Post
    If you have Vision or Power Vision, Sprint won't show how much data usage on your monthly bill. The only thing I saw is "unlimited data".

Fully_Amazing, Leaving your lapton on with PDANET connected won't take up data if you don't upload/download stuff, or browse the web. Not sure about AIM though. Like OLD_HATCH said, check the bytes sent/received. I believe PDANET logs that info per session.
    thanks
    Has anyone compared PDANet with USB Modem or similar product for the 755P?