Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    A long post - sorry...

I've been posting in the Chatteremail forum but the audience appears a bit limited, so if the reader also subscribes to that forum and you've read some of this before, apologies in advance. Or even if this is considered a kinda cross post.

Okay so first off I love Chatteremail+ for its combination of background operation and push Gmail abilities. I have always noticed it a power hungry but have been happen with paying that price for the email functionality.

I have been experimenting with my Treo 680's battery life because it had reached a single day with the 3,300 mAh battery, down from two or three days. I solved the battery life issue with a recalibration.

Anyway, so I started logging power consumption in terms of battery drain per hour... being as scientific as possible by only taking notice of same usage times (device idle, GSM / GPRS on, Bluetooth and Infrared off, just collecting email, me changing one or more variables).

I found that just running Chatteremail+ with it not checking any email accounts tends to use around 1% of battery power per hour, versus under 0.3% per hour with just the GSM radio on (it's hard to estimate as it's much, much lower). With my usual email load it's usually 2.5% to 3.5% of drain per hour.

If I underclock the device using Lightspeed to 208 MHz and with my usual email load, power consumption drops by a little bit, usually seeing between 2.0% to 3.0%. Not too much of a difference then, another 7 or so hours extrapolated running time over 33 hours.

These figures are with the monster 3,300 mAh battery.

Has anybody else been geeky enough to try the above? Are these figures what other users see? With a standard battery if I net up the 3,300 mAh data I'd be looking at around 7% to 10% per hour of drain (ouch!). I did see close to this when using my 1,200 mAh battery.

Like I say I'm not going to give up my Chatteremail+ but I'm just curious if I'm seeing normal behaviour or if there is something else afoot here. The battery drain is the same if the device has been up for a few days or if I've just rebooted it so I don't think it's the GSM power drain problem. Chatteremail+ typically handles between 60 to 100 emails in the working day but most are downloaded as unread then updated to read status. The signal is usually showing full or near full and I'm using UK T-Mobile, which is I believe 1,800 MHz GSM.
    I haven't done any indepth analysis, but would say on my 700P with the standard 1800 mAH batter, little to no talk time, casual to above casual network use (mostly in Chatter), Chatter configured with 2 IMAP and 1 Exchange accounts; Performance settings: nothing checked, Latency Less, Updates Fast, Signal Any. I get between 10-12 hours of battery life. After roughly 5 hours of not being plugged in I'm now at 65%.
    Last edited by NachoB; 09/10/2008 at 12:53 PM.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    So, 35% in five hours, makes that 7% per hour, then I suppose net then to 3,300 mAh and I getů around and aboutů 3.8%, which is pretty much in line. We don't have the 700P in the UK as we don't have CDMA networks, so I don't know if CDMA radios use more, less or the same power as GSM, but either way it's close enough for Government purposes I'm sure!

Thanks!
    Yeah, these aren't your go all day type of devices if you use them like a mobile office, battery drain is rather high. But hey, they last longer than a laptop on battery power, and I'd hate to have to hold a laptop to my ear to make a phone call
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

Palm Pre wallpapers
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    I'm at 86% after being off the charge for 5 hours (stock 1800 mAh battery). Two IMAP accounts, CDMA 700p (both probably 5-10 emails a day). Do you have your accounts set up for IMAP or POP3? Have you looked into the SMS email notification? I haven't tried it because I don't have any battery issues, but there are a few threads on it and I'm pretty sure it's in the user manual.
    I'm afraid I have incorrectly stated my usage. Forgot I listened to streaming audio via PTunes for 20-30 mins this morning. I'll report back tomorrow my percentage after 5 hours of use without audio streaming.

Palm Pre wallpapers
    My 700P with the standard battery, running ChatterEmail with 1 IMAP account active, phone, DTG, HanDBase going actively throughout the day was around 6-8 hours before it got to a point of needing to be fed. My Centro with the extended battery lasted 8-10 hours before it hit the 30% mark. My 800W is hitting 6 hours before the 30% mark is reached. I have the extended 2600ma battery on order.

As a note, I do not do the noise thing, though the deluxe noise makers are installed.
    Don't forget to post your performance settings in chatter. This greatly affects the drain for active IMAP accounts.
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    All good information - thanks!

I have all of Chatteremail+'s power save options selected (good signal only, delay, deeper sleep and I forget the fourth option but it has the * showing).

The email load makes a big difference too - my device is squirted emails on average every four to six minutes.

Annnd it also looks like CDMA has better power efficiency than GSM, or maybe the 680 is just a bit juicy with power...
    Chatteremail running in background with one mailbox online.
    Chatter power settings set to minimum power consuption (the four *)

no e-mails coming in, no calls, no sms, bt off, IR off, no alarms (why do i have a smartphone? )

According to PowerHero there was an almost stable 25 MA drain, with 2 over-40MA highs in 2 hours.

This is with a Treo680, stock 1200 MAh battery, 1.04ROW custom ROM.
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    That all sounds about right! I've tried underclocking the 680 and there was no significant difference in power consumption - I see a much bigger difference when my Gmail is busy...