1.    #1  
    Whenever I get a txt message my screen will turn on for a second or two even if the phone is locked or in keyguard mode. I think that this is just a feature of the notification system of Palm OS.

Does anyone know of an app that can disable this?
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    I believe, it's a feature of the notification system of PalmOS too; when I set Chatteremail+ to use the notification system to alert me of new emails, it switches on the screen for a moment.

At night, my get around is to turn the backlight and screen keys off; I just have to be able to find the backlight button combination in the morning.
    Have you considered a profiles application if this is for a specific period of time or under specific conditions?
  4.    #4  
    No I haven't... can you provide any more info? I'm not sure what this would entail.

Basically, this is happening because of twitter... I get txt messages almost every minute and it always flashes the screen for a couple seconds... If I can disable this, I would probably see a decent boost of battery life throughout the day...
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chymo View Post
    Basically, this is happening because of twitter... I get txt messages almost every minute and it always flashes the screen for a couple seconds... If I can disable this, I would probably see a decent boost of battery life throughout the day...
    I was thinking of starting a search for something similar too as I would like to queue my emails in notifications, but it turns the screen on every few seconds.

I'm curious as to the power consumption of flashing the screen for a moment now...
  6.    #6  
    Today for example... I had less than 10 minutes talktime total from 9AM - 12PM. So that averages to less than 1 min talktime/hr. And I sent 30 txt messages. All of that cost me 86% of my battery?!! Therefore the screen flashing continually throughout the day smokes my battery.

So I'm hoping for an app that can disable that notification feature, cuz its notta so good with only a 1600mAh battery...
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    I'm about to show my numptiness, but do you mean that the device went from 100% to 14% between 09:00 and 12:00 hours (86% in three hours, ouch), or that it went from 100% to 86% in the same time, or from 100% to 14% in 15 hours, or 100% to 86% in 15 hours?

Are you running any email client in the background?
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by DervMan View Post
    I'm about to show my numptiness, but do you mean that the device went from 100% to 14% between 09:00 and 12:00 hours (86% in three hours, ouch), or that it went from 100% to 86% in the same time, or from 100% to 14% in 15 hours, or 100% to 86% in 15 hours?

Are you running any email client in the background?
    Correction, 12AM, so 15hrs total. Good catch ;-] I do have chatter but it only updates 3 imap accounts every 960 minutes. So I don't suspect that action as a major drain.
    Do you work/live in a signal poor area? Where I work, I get little signal. If I turn my phone off, I will have 90% battery when I walk out the door. IF I leave it on, I will be down to 40%. That is strickly the radio trying to find a signal.
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    It might be! Head on over to this thread:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=171087

I've discovered that just running Chatteremail+ with it not checking emails... causes quite a battery drain. If you're checking your email accounts every 960 minutes, every 16 hours, can I suggest you shut it down during the day and only launch it when needed? If only to see if it reduces battery drain. I bet it roughly halves power consumption...

Chatteremail+ is what makes my Treo 680 such a great tool, but I am now in the habit of using Menu, Q, to quit it overnight as it has quite a hefty battery impact.
  11.    #11  
    I can't point the finger at chatter as being the culprit just yet since I feel its activities are disabled.

I just bought the 2200 mAh because of this problem. Here's what I'd like to know:

1. is there a task manager/activity monitor type of app available which will display active cpu threads or active processes?

2. Can anyone volunteer, or volunteer someone else ;-] to write an app that will disable the screen from turning on when a text message is received?
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    If you mean it is offline but still running, as in you've not told the application to either Quit or Exit, it'll still be draining the power. Part of Chatteremail's brilliance (in my opinion) is that it runs in the background after you've navigated away; but unless you tell the application to shut down, it's always running.

Your mileage may vary but in my experience, not running Chatteremail+ made a big difference to my battery endurance...

I don't know of a task manager that shows active threads, sorry; I'd like one though.