- educational flash card program

Things that I do not use it for:
    - picture phone
    - checking e-mail
    - internet surfing
    - GPS
    - watching movies
    - listening to music

In a lot of ways, I feel that me having a smartphone (let alone a 700p) is a bit overkill for what I use. I simply got sick of carrying a phone and a PDA (to run essentially 2 programs) so I settled for a smartphone.

I have a lot of extra programs that I don't need and I feel like it's slowing my phone down.

Help me streamline my phone!

Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by fozzy40 View Post
    I use my 700p (Verizon) for the following purposes:
    - address book
    - calendar
    - Epocrates (medical software)
    - phone
    - texting
    - educational flash card program

Things that I do not use it for:
    - picture phone
    - checking e-mail
    - internet surfing
    - GPS
    - watching movies
    - listening to music

In a lot of ways, I feel that me having a smartphone (let alone a 700p) is a bit overkill for what I use. I simply got sick of carrying a phone and a PDA (to run essentially 2 programs) so I settled for a smartphone.

I have a lot of extra programs that I don't need and I feel like it's slowing my phone down.

Help me streamline my phone!

Thank you.

Fozzy40,

The apps provided on your Treo that allow you to do those things that you do not need to do can't be deleted. (the GPS sounds like it was added afterwards and possible could be deleted.)

I would deleted any apps that you may have added to your Treo and do not use if indeed you have added any.

Anyone else wanna chime in to help Fozzy40?

Good Luck
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
  3.    #3  
    I am actually thinking of switching to the Centro. How do you like it?
    The Centro is an excellent device. Some do not like the key pad, others have no problems. It took me a short period of time to adjust to it. Stability? Not a problem and it does what you can.

It runs Epocrates just fine and everything else you mention just fine.

The applications you do not want are in ROM and do not have any affect on the operation of the device. A 3rd party launcher such as ZLauncher allows you to move those applications to a category and mark that category as "hidden," meaning you do not see those items under normal circumstances.
    Try this....

download a backup program i would suggest rescobackup coz thats what i use...

- backup your stuff. Copy Rescobackup to your card
    - hard reset
    - go to Rbackup on your card
    - go to RESTORE... select your backup set... SELECT APPLICATIONS.... Uncheck everything.... Check PHONE app, and PIM DATA...
    - soft reset
    - re-install epocrates thru your phone.... go to blazer and go to get.epocrates.com
    - follow onscreen instructions for installation
    - reinstall your other medical app.

Thats streamlining for you

I strongly discourage any 3rd party launcher applications... try to make use of the native apps as much as you can.
    There is no good argument against 3rd party launches. The leaders of the pack provide convenience and more memory on the devices. I have run ZLauncher on both the 700P and Centro devices without a hitch and gained much in the way of customization, convenience and memory savings. Initiate is another application providing much of the same functionality and resulting performance.

Many 3rd party launchers allow you to install applications to the card, meaning you do not clutter the device memory up with applications not being used. As for making use of th enative apps as much as you can - sounds nice, but really, the native apps do not offer the flexibility of the many well written 3rd party applications out there. Datebook 6 - far exceeds the existing calender (written by the same guy) and is exceedingly popular. ChatterEmail and SnapperEmail far exceed Versamail. TakePhone, 2Day, Documents to Go - all and many more applications offer you a degree of versatility that the native applications offer.

Stability? Not an issue with most of the popular 3rd party applications. As always, back your device up to your desktop and if possible, use a device based backup solution (Resco Backup as suggested above is the best there is - and that is a 3rd party application) before playing. Play with an application to ensure it meets your needs and is stable, then move on to the next one - keeping your backups current.

Again, no need or reason to avoid 3rd party launchers or applications.
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    Again, no need or reason to avoid 3rd party launchers or applications.
    I'm with you on that bclinger.

I have over 30 3rd party apps on my Centro and it is very stable.

Good Luck
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    To streamline - backup everything to a data card ( inserted in top of phone )
    Also hot sync everything to computer.
    Now you have 2 sources to restore from- in case of hard reset.
    Use a good backup program - I use backup buddy
    also resco backup is good.
    volume care; backupman; Pdanet; Filez; OperaMini; voice dial; IBMJava; AlwaysOn; Universal Keyboard; Font Smoother; YAHM; KMaps; Avvenu; DA Sprint 700P