1. smotlagh9@gmail.com
    I recently renewed my contract with verizon and purchased the LG dare. I like the phone, but am considering returning it for the Centro. I used to have a treo... it was pretty sweet, but there were some major faults with it. 1) Speakerphone sucked 2) My face would sometimes hit buttons on touchscreen while on a call 3) Ringtones that I made and put on my phone sounded awful. So can anyone let me know if these issues are non-apparent anymore? Also... how does everyone feel about the overall design and functionality of the centro? Lastly, if you could... would you trade your centro for the LG Dare? Any responses are much appreciated! thanks!
    I can't compare to the Dare since I have not used one.

Here's my take on the Centro:

1. the Centro's speaker phone is marginal. The speaker is loud, but callers can't hear me very well (usually chops off the first word I say). I picked up a bluetooth headset (Plantronics 815) to use handsfree. 2. an option to disable the touchscreen during a call is available. 3. I use the standard Treo ring, and you can use many different programs to play MP3s for ring tones.
    Hear more talk about my Centro and other industry news, go to thecellphonejunkie.com for a great weekly cell & smartphone podcast.
    My wife has dare and LOVES IT.
    Its a good phone, works well, decent MP3 player.
    Like all verizon phones, options are the same so no matter whether you have lg or motorola or samsung, no need to retrain your self from usage.
    As for palm, it really depends wheather you need palm/pda or not.
    If you're need a phone then have a phone. If you need an organizer with reference lookups, etc etc, then I think palm is a way to go. I'm personally not a big fan of Pocket PC or blackberry or w/e else is out there simple b/c there is a very limited amount of medical software for those devices, but stick to "what you need" and you'll be happy!
    Quote Originally Posted by smotlagh9@gmail.com View Post
    1) Speakerphone sucked 2) My face would sometimes hit buttons on touchscreen while on a call 3) Ringtones that I made and put on my phone sounded awful. So can anyone let me know if these issues are non-apparent anymore? Also... how does everyone feel about the overall design and functionality of the centro?
    I have no complaints about my Centro and is heads and shoulders above my Treo 700p. The keyboard takes a little getting use to.

I don't experience any of the issues that you mentioned in your post.
    Good Luck
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    If I didn't need the full fledged palm/pda functions I'd skip the Dare and get the Samsung Glide with the slide out keyboard.
    I have had all of the CDMA Treos and 4 WM devices. I found the Centro to be an excellent, stable and quick device. Easy to use, configure, et cetera. If you do not need multi-tasking, it really is an excellent solution. Multi-tasking is the only reason I moved to the WM world. Each time I went with a WM device, I went right back to the Centro. However, the 800W kept me with WM due to its over-all performance.
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    By looking at the specs, the Dare seems to have many advantages over the Centro: it's thinner, lighter, better camera (3.2 Megapixel vs. Centro's 1.3), Dual Stereo Speakers, expandable memory up to 8gb vs. 4gb from Centro, Dual Stereo Speakers. The only thing that I never like is the Virtual QWERTY Keyboard, it doesn't feel as good as the one on the iPhone. Hmm, the Dare is supposed to be more expensive than the Centro. If you can get $100 back to trade in your Dare for the Centro, then I might consider. Otherwise, the Dare is a great phone, keep it.
    Get the latest cell phone news and deals at www.icellphonedeals.com.
    I got my new phones free at bestincellphones.com, where did you get yours?
    As already mentioned, the Centro speakerphone isn't that great (755p is definitely better than it).

The screen isn't that easy to touch with your face considering it's fairly small and recessed.

I'm not a huge fan of the small keyboard, but it keeps the device very small and it is definitely usable.
    Quote Originally Posted by smotlagh9@gmail.com View Post
    I recently renewed my contract with verizon and purchased the LG dare. I like the phone, but am considering returning it for the Centro. I used to have a treo... it was pretty sweet, but there were some major faults with it. 1) Speakerphone sucked 2) My face would sometimes hit buttons on touchscreen while on a call 3) Ringtones that I made and put on my phone sounded awful. So can anyone let me know if these issues are non-apparent anymore? Also... how does everyone feel about the overall design and functionality of the centro? Lastly, if you could... would you trade your centro for the LG Dare? Any responses are much appreciated! thanks!
    My daughter wanted the "Dare" but now she has the Centro (I do as well) it's great not to be restricted or a slave to Verizon's "GIN" application. BTW, my daughter is ecstatic about the Centro.

#1) The speaker is very loud, but I rarely use it. I use a BT headset which the volume is a little lower than my Razr's was. BTW, no BT dialing....this is the ONLY thing I regret.....you can use a BT headset dring the entire call and hang up through it...just no VC, but must use voice command or simply hit "contacts" and then simply press the center button and your ready to go.

#2) Turn off the 'screen function" while on a call is an option...so not a problem.

#3) I used "minitones"...free application and the ringtones are VERY, VERY loud and clear to the point where it's a little embarrassing when it rings in the office and I hear it from 50' away and my colleagues laugh saying "is that from Austin Powers?"

I have hacked phones, flashed them just to be able to transfer ring tones, contacts, etc. The nice thing about this phone is there are so many free applications you can do just about anything with it that you can't with most Verizon phones. I have my Bible S/W on it, Word docs, excel, games, Movies, MP3's, photos, calendar, the list goes on and on. The phone can cruise the web, get email and so much more.

Also I was very surprised by 2-things....RF (Reception) and battery life both are very good.I'd put the Centro on par with my flashed Razr as far as RF and SQ. I have the Verizon version and there is no hint of the ugly Verizon UI at all. Like I said, you can transfer just about anything...apps, programs, etc and not pay Verizon a penny!!

If/when BT VC can be done with this phone I would give it 9.5/10, but since no BT VC I will give it an 8!!!
    I like the Centro quite a bit. Small, handy and with full keyboard for all my needs. I just need to see the emails that I get and don't need to immediately reply, so it works great for me.