1.    #1  
    . Ok. In order to try and run other things on my Centro, like Opera Mini, I've been trying to download IBM java from mytreo.net. And I'm running into a strange problem.

When I first try and download it, the centro rejects it because it can't handle zip files. So I then go looking for an unzip program. It took a while to find one that wasn't zipped itself, but I found one, downloaded it, and it shows up in applications. So I go back and download ibm java. This time, I succeed in downloading it. And when its finished, a brief message pops up telling me to unzip it with my unzip program.

But I get stuck here; I can't seem to do this. I don't have any way of accessing the java script file directly, and when I go to the unzip program, there's nothing listed under the "unzippable" tab. (There are lots and lots of programs listed under the "zippable" tab)

I did the download again. The Centro asked me if I wanted to download the file over the first version, and I said yes. But again, it downloaded, gave me that quick message, and left me stuck wondering what to do.

Thanks

Greg
    Global Posts
    2,486 Global Posts
    I usually just download on PC and use hotsync to install it.
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    I second the PC hotsync option.
    Also be prepared for a few problems - you really need to read the docs on installation and setup. Be prepared for it not to perform the way you expect.
    Yeah, I recommend downloading the Java zip to a PC also, and hotsync the two required files over to your Centro. In order to install Java properly, the two files need to be hotsynced.

But, I installed Java to my Centro by using Resco Explorer to open the Java zip and uploading the two required files to one email account and downloading the two files from another email account the files were sent to right on the Centro.

If you are comfortable with doing this, this is a way to bypass hotsycing the files and properly install the two files right from your device....

i gave this a shot .. and can't get opera to run... i only need

J9JavaVMMidp20 and J9JavaVMMidp20_es right?
    Sony n710 --> N760 --> NX70 ---> NZ90 ---> 4get sony ---> Treo 600 -- and two weeks later--> (Feb 05)Treo650 .... (March '08) Centro... Palm Pre (launch date)
    Global Posts
    2,486 Global Posts
    For english install I needed to use
    J9JavaVMMidp20.prc
    JavaVMCheck_enUS.prc
    thanks.. but it didn't work.. any other suggestions?
    Sony n710 --> N760 --> NX70 ---> NZ90 ---> 4get sony ---> Treo 600 -- and two weeks later--> (Feb 05)Treo650 .... (March '08) Centro... Palm Pre (launch date)
    do i need to do a soft restart or something?
    Quote Originally Posted by omgitsroy326 View Post
    thanks.. but it didn't work.. any other suggestions?
    Exactly how are you installing those two files? What method of install?

If you see IBM Java with a globe icon in your launcher, and IBM Java in the device Prefs Panel, (at the bottom) the two files were properly installed.

If you don't see the IBM Java icon in your launcher and in the device Prefs Panel, it was not properly installed.

You could try a soft reset, it won't hurt anything.